Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioScope: Multi channel mixer

Comments

• @Simon said:

@monz0id said:
    But I'd love to see him put all his clever ideas together and produce an all-in-one, where everything's already setup and I can just dive in and start making noises.

Why not just set up a template in AUM with MIDI Mixer and whatever else you use and then just load that every time you want to do a recording session?

I'm really just elaborating on what @wim said: "The stuff I do doesn't particularly need that" and adding my personal ten pence worth. I use AUM as a sketch pad - quickly chuck in a bunch of apps that I have an idea to make some music with, jam around a bit and click record if anything good starts happening. I'm just unlikely to spend extra time setting up a full-on mixing session, and then recording that - the stuff I do is totally spontaneous.

Don't take this as a negative take on the app - I think it's very clever, and for people that plan a session in advance, maybe use a more DAW-type app (e.g. Drambo rather than AUM) and want to create a proper, mixed version at the end it's a must-have. Based on my experience with the MIDI mixer app, for my own stuff it's probably not going to get much use.

• edited April 2023

@monz0id said:
    Don't take this as a negative take on the app - I think it's very clever, and for people that plan a session in advance, maybe use a more DAW-type app (e.g. Drambo rather than AUM) and want to create a proper, mixed version at the end it's a must-have. Based on my experience with the MIDI mixer app, for my own stuff it's probably not going to get much use.

OK.

• Having watched Doug’s video, I’m thinking I may not need this much, but there may well be times where it’s just the thing - ie when I run out of fingers or need to scroll too much in AUM to keep everything under control. I don’t have MIDImixer , but I think I looked into it and it needed some dedicated template setting up before you started, and seemed like way too much faff. This looks way more useful, as you can apply it later on if you need it. It seems very well thought out, and (like AUM) has lots of complexity under the hood if you need it, but seems fairly easy to figure out the basics.

• @monz0id said:

@wim said:
    The stuff I do doesn't particularly need that but I'm gonna have to get it just because it's so well executed.

It's MIDI Mixer on steroids!

I have that one, thought it'd be useful to replace and minimise the clumsy mixer in AUM and it does it well - it has the 'scenes' option too. But it adds a further step you have to go through when setting up your AUM jam session, and as these things tend to be spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment things (for me) I never get around to using it.

Not knocking this app at all - it looks like a wonderful thing, and helps push AUM a bit further towards being a 'proper' DAW, albeit a 'modular' one - but I can see me using it about twice and then just carrying on scolling around frantically in AUM rather than spending time setting up a proper thing.

I guess it makes me question what AUM is for. For me, it's a place to jam out ideas and create audio chunks for re-arrangement in external DAW's, and it does that very well. If it's to be more than that, then user-friendly mixing/mastering options should be built-in to minimise the amout of set-up time - those ten minutes when your great idea starts to slip away because you're concentrating on routing a bucketful of AU's that aren't connecting properly (or you've forgotten/didn't know you had to deselect the keyboard button in Koala to make the pads work via MIDI).

I'll probably buy it if it's reasonably priced, just to support a great developer. But I'd love to see him put all his clever ideas together and produce an all-in-one, where everything's already setup and I can just dive in and start making noises.

With the 4pocket multitrack recorder, AUM can function as a timeline DAW. You need multiple instances of MTR though--usually one per channel I want to edit or punch in on. My old ipad cannot really handle the jams I do already; using it as a timeline DAW will have to wait until I upgrade.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

With the 4pocket multitrack recorder, AUM can function as a timeline DAW. You need multiple instances of MTR though--usually one per channel I want to edit or punch in on. My old ipad cannot really handle the jams I do already; using it as a timeline DAW will have to wait until I upgrade.

Yeah I've got that one as well. Nice idea, but I just find it too fiddly to work with. Maybe if I had a bigger iPad...

I like the modular approach when it comes to synths, MIDI sequencers, samplers, fx etc., for making a noise, but for proper finished songs I'd rather knuckle down and learn how to use Drambo properly which has all mixing and recording stuff built into the UI, or just export chunks out to a desktop DAW as I'm doing now.

Again though, I'm just sharing my own workflow and preferences, I'm sure most people will get a lot of mileage out of this one, and it'll add a lot more flexibility and polish to their mixes.

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

@monz0id said:

@wim said:
    The stuff I do doesn't particularly need that but I'm gonna have to get it just because it's so well executed.

Not knocking this app at all - it looks like a wonderful thing, and helps push AUM a bit further towards being a 'proper' DAW, albeit a 'modular' one - but I can see me using it about twice and then just carrying on scolling around frantically in AUM rather than spending time setting up a proper thing.

I see it as useful for other DAWs than AUM where mixing isn't ideal. The visual representation of pan and volume all in one place is intuitive and seems like will make mixing much faster and easier. Setup doesn't look too onerous. Just add an FX node to each channel you want to control. If you consider the individual EQ, visualization, and compression plugins it can potentially replace, I bet it's a net productivity and spontaneity gain by a long shot.

Not tryin' to sell it though. 😂
    Like I say - I don't even really need it. It's way to clever for me to pass up though.

• edited April 2023

@wim said:
    Like I say - I don't even really need it. It's way to clever for me to pass up though.

Oh yeah, I’ll buy it too - I reckon it’ll fit nicely into my Drambo/finished song workflow - when I’ve worked out how to master that one!

• My mind went wild with possibilities after watching Doug’s videos. This would be great for more experimental stuff. Load a bunch of loops in AUM, instances of Gauss, etc and have them moving around the stereo field. I’m really excited for this one.

• Interesting that Paul has called it "AudioScope" and not something like "Automated Mixer" or "AutoMixer".

I see the auto mixing part of the app more interesting and sexy than the "scope" part.

It is easier to sell/explain to a customer too.

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

That would be misleading. Automation isn't its main focus or even a comparatively significant feature. You can transition between snapshots in a basic timed way, but not much more than that. But yeh, "Scope" is pretty far down the list of features in this one in my view.

"Auto mixing"? Maybe I need to revisit that video. Prolly gonna eat my words inna minute.

• @wim said:
    That would be misleading. Automation isn't its main focus or even a comparatively significant feature. You can transition between snapshots in a basic timed way, but not much more than that. But yeh, "Scope" is pretty far down the list of features in this one in my view.

"Auto mixing"? Maybe I need to revisit that video. Prolly gonna eat my words inna minute.

I could be wrong with my terminology.

I was thinking "auto" in the sense that you can position your panning and volume and make snapshots and then automatically trigger them later.

• So, when is this coming?

• @RajahP said:
    So, when is this coming?

Next week according to Paul the dev.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@RajahP said:
    So, when is this coming?

Can’t wait.. thanks..

• @Jumpercollins said:

@RajahP said:
    So, when is this coming?

Sweet! I’m stoked for this one. I’ve been pining after something like this.

• I will not buy a 4pocket apps again, I got 2 and they are not useful to me and pricey, a waste of money, too many apps from that dev , I don’t want to waste nearly 18 usd as you can do better with AUM and all the nice other apps I got.

The problem with 4pocket is the price and that their apps are outdated even this new one. So not for me.

• It’s out sweet $14.99

• In Europe on AppStore it is around 18 € at this price it is not a good deal , another 4pocket apps that don’t worth the price. It is my opinion

• edited April 2023

@BerlinFx said:
    I will not buy a 4pocket apps again, I got 2 and they are not useful to me and pricey, a waste of money

Which 2 did you buy?

• Nice I’m looking forward to this one! Gonna be buying when I get paid tomorrow.

• @BerlinFx said:
    I will not buy a 4pocket apps again, I got 2 and they are not useful to me and pricey, a waste of money, too many apps from that dev , I don’t want to waste nearly 18 usd as you can do better with AUM and all the nice other apps I got.

The problem with 4pocket is the price and that their apps are outdated even this new one. So not for me.

Hmm pricey isn’t something I usually see when people refer to Paul’s apps. And 2 of his apps not being useful to you doesn’t automatically discount the rest.

Curious how you think his apps are outdated? He’s got some of the best on the App Store, imo.

• @HotStrange said:
    Curious how you think his apps are outdated? He’s got some of the best on the App Store, imo.

+1.

4Pockets has made some of the most amazing iOS apps in the last few years.

• @Simon said:

@HotStrange said:

+1.

4Pockets has made some of the most amazing iOS apps in the last few years.

Agreed. And very reasonably priced with sales often. EvolverFX, Time Machine, Progressions, Multitrack, Strummer just to name a few favorites.

• edited April 2023

I wish Paul well, but I won’t be getting it, as extra layers/having to set up a template etc are all too much faff and too rigid for my workflow. I bought his MIDI mixer hoping great things, and never used it for just that reason. I like to add and subtract AUM channels as I go. Fixed templates can’t handle that.

So: Is it time for me to say this again, @j_liljedahl ? :) : The IAP/upgrade/separate AU/whole new fricking app I would pay for, for AUM, or an AUM 2, (in a heartbeat, at pretty much any cost) would be a simple per channel-strip, editable automation lane for the Mute & Solo button, the fader, pan, and eq. Just that. If it can handle a selected characteristic of an AU in the lane too, (resonance on a filter, say) as currently works in AUM, that’s gravy. These are all already addressable via MIDI CCs using AUMs current functionality and something like Art Kerns MIDILFOs, so all we are talking about is some kind of dedicated, midi based, iteratively-editable automation recorder.

A functionality that pops in per channel, with the channel, as I add or delete them, creates some kind of editable timeline for the automation on just that channel (the click/draggable ‘graph’ automation of Cubasis is an obvious model), so I can create a mix ‘live-recorded’’ inside AUM, then run it, and go back and tweak and fix elements of it iteratively as many times as I want using the new automation recording feature.

Just that. And then AUM would be perfect. DAWs? We don’t need no stinking DAWs… ;)

• @HotStrange said:
    Agreed. And very reasonably priced with sales often. EvolverFX, Time Machine, Progressions, Multitrack, Strummer just to name a few favorites.

Yes. Helium, Neon, DigiKeys, and DigiStix are classics too. He has quite a catalog of great apps.

• @Simon said:

@HotStrange said:

Yes. Helium, Neon, DigiKeys, and DigiStix are classics too. He has quite a catalog of great apps.

Still need to get Digistix and Helium but I’ve heard only good things. They’re pretty high on my list.

• @Svetlovska said:
    I wish Paul well, but I won’t be getting it, as extra layers/having to set up a template etc are all too much faff and too rigid for my workflow. I bought his MIDI mixer hoping great things, and never used it for just that reason. I like to add and subtract AUM channels as I go. Fixed templates can’t handle that.

So: Is it time for me to say this again, @j_liljedahl ? :) : The IAP/upgrade/separate AU/whole new fricking app I would pay for, for AUM, or an AUM 2, (in a heartbeat, at pretty much any cost) would be a simple per channel-strip, editable automation lane for the Mute & Solo button, the fader, pan, and eq. Just that. If it can handle a selected characteristic of an AU in the lane too, (resonance on a filter, say) as currently works in AUM, that’s gravy. These are all already addressable via MIDI CCs using AUMs current functionality and something like Art Kerns MIDILFOs, so all we are talking about is some kind of dedicated, midi based, iteratively-editable automation recorder.

A functionality that pops in per channel, with the channel, as I add or delete them, creates some kind of editable timeline for the automation on just that channel (the click/draggable ‘graph’ automation of Cubasis is an obvious model), so I can create a mix ‘live-recorded’’ inside AUM, then run it, and go back and tweak and fix elements of it iteratively as many times as I want using the new automation recording feature.

Just that. And then AUM would be perfect. DAWs? We don’t need no stinking DAWs… ;)

Yeah this would be the perfect answer to a lot of people’s wishes, just something simple and effective…