Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Streaming audio over Wifi/Bluetooth.

Trying to work out a simple way to send audio from one iPad to another, over wifi or BT.

Have looked at Sonobus and Sound injector, but unfortunately neither work with iOS9 (One is an iPad3). Actually, Sound Injector does seem to, but the companion app (SideCar) requires a newer iOS.

I'd like to have the older iPad as th playback device primarily for watching Udemy course, and having the audio streamed into the newer iPad which will act as a musical keyboard. Also could be useful for sampling stuff from the net.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• I think you could try « Wireless Audio AUv3 » app.

• Audio over Bluetooth is going to have huge latency. Due to its nature. WiFi is also not reliable for low latency audio delivery.

• I have an old iPad2 that I try to utilize occasionally. It’s so old that none of the wireless methods of connecting audio to my main iPad worked for me.
    It is really simple to run a cable from the HP jack into a budget USB audio device like the Behringer UCA 222. It’s how I have been connecting the 2 devices.

• @Paulo164 said:
    I think you could try « Wireless Audio AUv3 » app.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, as an Auv3 it rules out ios9. I

• @espiegel123 said:
    Audio over Bluetooth is going to have huge latency. Due to its nature. WiFi is also not reliable for low latency audio delivery.

Latency won't be a problem. On one screen I plan to have Udemy music-theory classes, with the other iPad as a piano keyboard. As chords scales etc. are given and explained, i want to be able to play them on the keyboard, but I won't be playing along to anything in any critically-timed sense.

• @CracklePot said:
    I have an old iPad2 that I try to utilize occasionally. It’s so old that none of the wireless methods of connecting audio to my main iPad worked for me.
    It is really simple to run a cable from the HP jack into a budget USB audio device like the Behringer UCA 222. It’s how I have been connecting the 2 devices.

Thanks!

From my preliminary search I was definitely getting the impression that iOS9 was going to be the issue.

If this were for home use, I'd definitely set this up how you suggested. But I'm trying to have a very discreet way of using this in a library. I will already be there with the 2 iPads anyway (One for reading/researching, and the other for taking notes. Just wanted to be able to use the same setup for music classes, without having to drag interfaces, cables etc. If I didn't care about drawing attention to myself, I'd tak along my little APCKeys, but alas... ;)

• If discretion is key, have you considered using this to run the Udemy site in your host on a single iPad?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/web-au/id1543843478

It is currently on sale for the weird price of $1.79.
    New price tiers in effect, I guess.

• @CracklePot said:
    If discretion is key, have you considered using this to run the Udemy site in your host on a single iPad?

I did consider this idea, but remember that one of the apps (Not sure if this) didn't route audio. That'd be an issue for sampling off the internet. But the bigger issue is that i'm not sure my 'old-bugger' eye-sight will be happy losing screen real-estate for either job. If I was only going to have one iPad with me, that'd be a different thing. but seeing as I will already have the two there, for other work, I thought I'd be able to use both.

• @el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:
    If discretion is key, have you considered using this to run the Udemy site in your host on a single iPad?

I did consider this idea, but remember that one of the apps (Not sure if this) didn't route audio. That'd be an issue for sampling off the internet. But the bigger issue is that i'm not sure my 'old-bugger' eye-sight will be happy losing screen real-estate for either job. If I was only going to have one iPad with me, that'd be a different thing. but seeing as I will already have the two there, for other work, I thought I'd be able to use both.

Yes, I think the audio from the webpage is audible when in the host, but isn’t routed through the host, just directly to the system output. So when trying to sample or record web audio in the host, it doesn’t work.

• @CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yes, I think the audio from the webpage is audible when in the host, but isn’t routed through the host, just directly to the system output. So when trying to sample or record web audio in the host, it doesn’t work.

That would be an issue for sampling. That's not the priority, here, but would be a useful bonus. It might be worth trying to see if I can manage to comfortably view both onscreen at the same time, given the wifi streaming looks like a dead-end.

Cheers :)

• @el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

That would be an issue for sampling. That's not the priority, here, but would be a useful bonus. It might be worth trying to see if I can manage to comfortably view both onscreen at the same time, given the wifi streaming looks like a dead-end.

My eyes suck now too. 😵‍💫
    I try keep reading glasses or a small magnifying glass handy, especially if using my iPhone.

• Thanks! Unfortunately, one of the Pads is iOS9 which is not compatible :(

• @CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

My eyes suck now too. 😵‍💫
    I try keep reading glasses or a small magnifying glass handy, especially if using my iPhone.

Sorry to hear! I'm not quite there yet, though it's worsening as a side-effect of other health issues. Bought a 2nd-hand iPhone SE, this year.And it's the first small phone (I prefer them) that I've kinda regretted.

• @CracklePot said:

@CracklePot Do you actually have this app?

• @el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

• Currently, any bluetooth audio device transmits signal in a lossy way, this means that it is not recommended for audio production. There is a new technology called Qualcomm AptX which finally can transmit lossless signal, but it is not yet used by devices. It will still take some time for it to spread.
    Speaking of wifi instead, there is no issue about quality loss

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

@CracklePot said:
    I have an old iPad2 that I try to utilize occasionally. It’s so old that none of the wireless methods of connecting audio to my main iPad worked for me.

That's a use for my UCA202 that I hadn't thought of. I couldn't resist it at $9.99 during a sale. It's still sitting unopened in the box.

• @CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

Ah, cool! Do you use it within AUM, by any chance?

I'm wondering if it's possible to zoom in an out of the window. The course I'm going to be following uses an on-screen keyboard to show the notes being played. If I could zoom in on that keyboard on a window in the upper part of an AUM screen, and have a keyboard in the bottom, it might work quite well on one screen.

• @recycle said:
    Currently, any bluetooth audio device transmits signal in a lossy way, this means that it is not recommended for audio production. There is a new technology called Qualcomm AptX which finally can transmit lossless signal, but it is not yet used by devices. It will still take some time for it to spread.
    Speaking of wifi instead, there is no issue about quality loss

It's true that BT is lossy. That would have implications for any sampling. However, for the course I want to take it wouldn't be an issue at all. Do you know of an easy way to stream via BT?

• I don't think there's any way to do that. iOS devices are Bluetooth audio senders, not audio receivers.

• @wim said:
    I don't think there's any way to do that. iOS devices are Bluetooth audio senders, not audio receivers.

Foiled Again!! What a shame!

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

"Curses, foiled again!"

The iOS musician's catch phrase. 😂

• @wim said:
    "Rat's. Foiled Again!"

The iOS musician's catch phrase. 😂

🤣🤣

• @el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

I'm wondering if it's possible to zoom in an out of the window. The course I'm going to be following uses an on-screen keyboard to show the notes being played. If I could zoom in on that keyboard on a window in the upper part of an AUM screen, and have a keyboard in the bottom, it might work quite well on one screen.

Here is udemy homepage at full and max zoom in AUM.

• edited March 2023

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

Really appreciate that. I thnk it could definitely work out. If I might push my luck, do you think you'd be able to try one more test for me?

On this page, you should be able to access a preview about 9th chords.

https://www.udemy.com/course/music-theory-chords-and-harmony-for-composition/

In that screen is a small keyboard. What I'm trying to work out is if it would be possible to have the Web Au windowed to the top half of the AUm screen, zoomed into the piano keyboard, ad have the bottom half of the screen dedicated to the AUM keyboard. That way I should be able to play along, and hopefully manipulate (Pause, rewind etc.) without having to manipulate windows.

No problems if you're too busy. The very low price is not stopping me trying it myself. but I'd rather not do so if I have to get a refund straight away.

• @el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

Really appreciate that. I thnk it could definitely work out. If I might push my luck, do you think you'd be able to try one more test for me?

In that screen is a small keyboard. What I'm trying to work out is if it would be possible to have the Web Au windowed to the top half of the AUm screen, zoomed into the piano keyboard, ad have the bottom half of the screen dedicated to the AUM keyboard. That way I should be able to play along, and hopefully manipulate (Pause, rewind etc.) without having to manipulate windows.

No problems if you're too busy. The very low price is not stopping me trying it myself. but I'd rather not do so if I have to get a refund straight away.

Here ya go
    Cheers!

• @CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

Here ya go
    Cheers!

That’s perfect! Now I just need to wait for a sale…
    … Just kidding. Bought the app ;) Thanks so much for going the extra mile. Will be able to play along with the video on one iPad and have the video paused on the other, displaying the summary.

Thanks again…and to everyone else who contributed :)

• @el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

Here ya go
    Cheers!

… Just kidding. Bought the app ;) Thanks so much for going the extra mile. Will be able to play along with the video on one iPad and have the video paused on the other, displaying the summary.

Come back and amaze us with all you learn. 🙂

• edited March 2023

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

@el_bo said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah

Here ya go
    Cheers!

Come back and amaze us with all you learn. 🙂

Can pretty much guarantee the coming back part of that sentence ;)