Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I just bought the audio bus. Bluetooth IAP What did I buy?

I was setting up an iPad mini to send Bluetooth to audibus another iPad. I wanted to use the former is a controller. On the midi page in audio bus, I saw a “purchase, Bluetooth” IAP option, and I thought I already purchased it once, because I was already able to use Bluetooth with audio bus. So I bought it again, thinking I would just get a message that I already owned it, and would get it “free” like I usually do. But apparently I didn’t actually have that upgrade before. So what does the IAP give me that I didn’t have before without it? And what about audio bus Bluetooth remote? Does that do anything I can’t do without it?

Comments

• I hate it when the App Store asks you to buy something you own already. But then to think it’s just a mistake and find out you just payed for something you might not have needed/wanted. That’s my bigger fear when it present a price and I think it’s in error.

I feel your pain.

I do hope someone knows the answers to your questions.

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

@gravytop said:
    I was setting up an iPad mini to send Bluetooth to audibus another iPad. I wanted to use the former is a controller. On the midi page in audio bus, I saw a “purchase, Bluetooth” IAP option, and I thought I already purchased it once, because I was already able to use Bluetooth with audio bus. So I bought it again, thinking I would just get a message that I already owned it, and would get it “free” like I usually do. But apparently I didn’t actually have that upgrade before. So what does the IAP give me that I didn’t have before without it? And what about audio bus Bluetooth remote? Does that do anything I can’t do without it?

There is no Bluetooth IAP. There's a MIDI Learn IAP. Is that what you purchased? If so, what that gives you is the ability to map midi controls to actions in Audiobus. For instance, if you have a midi controller with some knobs, you could map those to control the mixer in Audiobus.

Sorry I really can't comment further because I don't understand what you mean by "to send Bluetooth to Audiobus another iPad". Can you clarify what you're trying to do? Then it should be possible to provide better help with how to accomplish it.

• edited March 2023

Audiobus already supports Bluetooth MIDI input and output, no IAP required. Tap on a MIDI Input or Output node to configure it; it's under "System". You may have been in another app (IAA app maybe) when you saw the IAP purchase option, which you likely did not need.

The Audiobus Remote app lets you control Audiobus itself remotely. You can probably do most of that using another Bluetooth MIDI controller, and MIDI Learn in Audiobus.

• @tusslesebi09 said:
    Bluetooth is a wireless communication technology that allows devices to connect and exchange data over short distances. In the case of your audio bus, Bluetooth is used as the interface for In-App Purchases (IAP), which likely means that you can use your mobile device to purchase additional features or upgrades for the audio bus through a Bluetooth connection.

Errrm... Actually, no. You buy IAPs using the device internet connection, not Bluetooth.

Are you a bot?

• Maybe he brought Audiobus Remote

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Maybe he brought Audiobus Remote

That isn’t an IAP, is it?
    I thought it was a separate app.

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

@uncledave said:
    Errrm... Actually, no. You buy IAPs using the device internet connection, not Bluetooth.

Are you a bot?

Definitely a bot.
    Now that I think about it the OP probably was too. My sensors should have picked that up.

Maybe we need a "bot-to-bot" category on the forum so we can all sit back and be entertained.

• @wim said:

@uncledave said:

Are you a bot?

Definitely a bot.
    Now that I think about it the OP probably was too. My sensors should have picked that up.

Maybe we need a "bot-to-bot" category on the forum so we can all sit back and be entertained.

I am waiting for the debut of the AudioBot forum. I need of some real answers to my questions.
    😁

• Not funny. I can’t be bot.

• I can’t be bot-hered either.

• I advise we all be very, very kind to bots. It may increase our survivability someday.

• One time I had botchulism. Didn’t like it then, don’t like it now.

• I came here for some bot on bot action
    Seems the fun was cut short

• edited March 2023

Thanks everyone for pointing out my apparent confusion. In my defense I can only say that I'm a newbie, a senior citizen, and a man who has probably smoked too much in my decades of life, but I refuse to make excuses. I was up all hours for a few nights in a row trying to network my iPads via bluetooth, set up midi etc., and by the time I posted my message I was even more brain-addled than I was before.

I did think that I had established a midi connection with AB before making the IAP, but apparently I was wrong. In any case if I spent five dollars that I didn't need to, that is simply part of the story of my life.

Having said all that, what about the IAP purchase of AB Remote. Is that worthwhile?*

I'm trying to stop buying music apps and music utilities and actually start using them productively. In the last few days I failed miserably, and bought a few loopers I managed to live without for most of my life. Gonna see if I can wrap my remaining brain around Enso. Hoping it is more robust than many say...

*My main goal is to use an iPad mini as a controller, for example using the KB app, to interact with a different pad. Since I can do things like that already, I'm wondering what Remote brings to the table...

• @gravytop said:
    Thanks everyone for pointing out my apparent confusion. In my defense I can only say that I'm a newbie, a senior citizen, and a man who has probably smoked too much in my decades of life, but I refuse to make excuses. I was up all hours for a few nights in a row trying to network my iPads via bluetooth, set up midi etc., and by the time I posted my message I was even more brain-addled than I was before.

I did think that I had established a midi connection with AB before making the IAP, but apparently I was wrong. In any case if I spent five dollars that I didn't need to, that is simply part of the story of my life.

Having said all that, what about the IAP purchase of AB Remote. Is that worthwhile?*

I'm trying to stop buying music apps and music utilities and actually start using them productively. In the last few days I failed miserably, and bought a few loopers I managed to live without for most of my life. Gonna see if I can wrap my remaining brain around Enso. Hoping it is more robust than many say...

*My main goal is to use an iPad mini as a controller, for example using the KB app, to interact with a different pad. Since I can do things like that already, I'm wondering what Remote brings to the table...

You could control apps in the Audiobus session on the other iPad using remote. Various apps have different ways to interact with them through AB remote, some more robust than others. You could even use it on a single device as a sort of super AB toolbar.
    Honestly, I am not sure that newer apps provide any useful extra controls in AB remote. Most newer apps focus on AUv3 connectivity and AUv3 apps don’t really take advantage of the AB toolbar or AB remote. But a good number of apps that came out years ago before AUv3 took off have good AB remote support.

• edited March 2023

Exactly. I wouldn't bother with AB remote until you run into a problem that cannot be handled by MIDI from KB-1 and other apps.

As I said before, you already have AB Bluetooth MIDI functionality. It's under the System tab when selecting a MIDI source or destination. You enable Advertising on one device, then Connect from the other. It's sorta like pairing a new BT keyboard. Note that AUM also includes this; it's on the MIDI routing screen.

As long as the BT source is connected like this, other apps will see it as a normal MIDI source, the same as a USB wired source.