Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

“Older” synths vs their newer counterparts

One of the things i find rather confusing is seeing older synths that are still the same price as their “replacements”, like Sunrizer being the same price as Zeeon, or Kauldron and Magellan 2 being the same price as Trooper. What would be the advantages of the older models? Not referring to ones that are quite different from each release (like Icegear’s stuff).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Trooper is a relatively simple synth when compared to Magellan 2 or Kauldron.

Appstore prices have changed. My guess is that if Trooper was released at the same time with Magellan 2 and Kauldron it would likely have been even priced a bit lower... (The other two have seen price-drops over time).

Sunrizer is an old classic with it's own sound while Zeeon is a completely different synth with it's own sound.

In the end it's all about the 'sound' and 'features' of each app like it is with hardware synths.

• @Samu said:
    Trooper is a relatively simple synth when compared to Magellan 2 or Kauldron.

Appstore prices have changed. My guess is that if Trooper was released at the same time with Magellan 2 and Kauldron it would likely have been even priced a bit lower... (The other two have seen price-drops over time).

Sunrizer is an old classic with it's own sound while Zeeon is a completely different synth with it's own sound.

In the end it's all about the 'sound' and 'features' of each app like it is with hardware synths.

Gotcha. I actually was under the impression that Trooper was basically a less cluttered version of Magellan 2 but otherwise the same , based on Jakob Haq’s interview with the developer. I see I’m mistaken , although not sure how well the scrolling on M2 would go on my phone (course i said the same thing with IVCS3 and that turned out awesome)

I love how Synrizer sounds but I had a negative experience with Zeeon and the fact that Sunrizer is much older concerns me. I read that the issue with Zeeon has been rectified (I ended up getting a refund but may eventually repurchase) but I’m afraid of getting Sunrizer , possibly having an issue, and then not getting rectified due to age. Some of the App Store reviews mentioned some issues that I’m not sure if they got fixed (one did for sure but the GarageBand issue im not so sure of as that one wasn’t mentioned in the update), but it at least got a recent update. Kauldron looks like it hasn’t been updated in a few years and that concerns me due to the issues mentioned in the reviews .

• @Fear2Stop said:

@Samu said:

Gotcha. I actually was under the impression that Trooper was basically a less cluttered version of Magellan 2 but otherwise the same , based on Jakob Haq’s interview with the developer. I see I’m mistaken , although not sure how well the scrolling on M2 would go on my phone (course i said the same thing with IVCS3 and that turned out awesome)

I love how Synrizer sounds but I had a negative experience with Zeeon and the fact that Sunrizer is much older concerns me. I read that the issue with Zeeon has been rectified (I ended up getting a refund but may eventually repurchase) but I’m afraid of getting Sunrizer , possibly having an issue, and then not getting rectified due to age. Some of the App Store reviews mentioned some issues that I’m not sure if they got fixed (one did for sure but the GarageBand issue im not so sure of as that one wasn’t mentioned in the update), but it at least got a recent update. Kauldron looks like it hasn’t been updated in a few years and that concerns me due to the issues mentioned in the reviews .

I wouldn’t worry about Sunrizer, it’s from the Drambo developer so while it may not get new features, I’m sure it’s being maintained at least.

• I wouldn’t think of Sunrizer as a version of Zeeon (one of the most-loved and versatile virtual analog synths) or vice versa.

Lack of updates to a mature synth does not make it necessarily outdated. The return on investment for iOS synths is low enough that it often doesn’t make sense for a developer to keep updating a synth that does what it was intended to do. There are some long-unchanged synths that are still top tier.

• edited March 2023

@espiegel123 said:
    I wouldn’t think of Sunrizer as a version of Zeeon (one of the most-loved and versatile virtual analog synths) or vice versa.

Lack of updates to a mature synth does not make it necessarily outdated. The return on investment for iOS synths is low enough that it often doesn’t make sense for a developer to keep updating a synth that does what it was intended to do. There are some long-unchanged synths that are still top tier.

True…for me it’s more the fear of bugs that never get fixed due to the developer moving on to something else. The fact there’s a GarageBand specific issue that’s after the last update (which solved a problem that apparently took a year to fix if the reviews are to be believed*) is a major concern for me. I’d really rather not go through the whole refund process again. And since iPad users are the main focus and people like me who use iPhones seem to be an afterthought (especially GarageBand users), sometimes getting anything feels quite risky.

*I know, grain of salt and all that, which is why I added that qualifier

• @Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I wouldn’t think of Sunrizer as a version of Zeeon (one of the most-loved and versatile virtual analog synths) or vice versa.

True…for me it’s more the fear of bugs that never get fixed due to the developer moving on to something else. The fact there’s a GarageBand specific issue that’s after the last update (which solved a problem that apparently took a year to fix if the reviews are to be believed*) is a major concern for me. I’d really rather not go through the whole refund process again. And since iPad users are the main focus and people like me who use iPhones seem to be an afterthought (especially GarageBand users), sometimes getting anything feels quite risky.

Now, for Sunrizer, I really don't get your thoughts.
    The last update was 3 months ago!

And I would expect that bugs in Kauldron or Magellan 2 would be fixed too, if they arise.

• edited March 2023

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

And I would expect that bugs in Kauldron or Magellan 2 would be fixed too, if they arise.

Last update was 3 months ago, but the issue I’m referring to was last month…what if it takes a year to fix like the key change thing? Especially since it’s with GarageBand ; we GB users are basically second class citizens it feels like .

• @Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

Last update was 3 months ago, but the issue I’m referring to was last month…what if it takes a year to fix like the key change thing? Especially since it’s with GarageBand ; we GB users are basically second class citizens it feels like .

Just contact the developer...
    No more fixes can happen with old an new Apps alike.

• @Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

Part of the thing is that while GarageBand is a popular app , it seems to be less popular as a host among heavy AUv3 users than some other hosts AND it seems to deviate from other hosts in how it handles things.

So, it may get less attention as a testing platform than some others.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

Part of the thing is that while GarageBand is a popular app , it seems to be less popular as a host among heavy AUv3 users than some other hosts AND it seems to deviate from other hosts in how it handles things.

True…I also gotta remember a lot of GB users are happy or at least satisfied with the built in instruments. I’m more interested in making my own sounds vs presets , and the built in stuff sounds too “clean” for me. Only thing I really use it for besides as a DAW is the bass guitar (as a touch instrument paired with Tonebridge) and the drum kits (both electronic and acoustic) . Otherwise every instrument I use is third party. I realize I’m a rarity in that regard. I’m probably eventually going to get Cubasis but , again, I have a (probably irrational) fear of spending all that money and finding out it won’t work well on my phone .

• @Samu said:

Meant to ask…when you said Trooper was simpler than Magellan 2, did you mean in the sense it was simpler to use, or is Trooper more limited? Like what can you not do in Trooper that you could in M2?

• @Fear2Stop said:

@Samu said:

Meant to ask…when you said Trooper was simpler than Magellan 2, did you mean in the sense it was simpler to use, or is Trooper more limited? Like what can you not do in Trooper that you could in M2?

Magellan 2 can do things that Trooper can’t do, it has more effects built in as well…
    I’m not going to do a full lecture in synthesis capabilities of each app.

The manuals for both app are present at the Yonac site.

• @Samu said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@Samu said:

Magellan 2 can do things that Trooper can’t do, it has more effects built in as well…
    I’m not going to do a full lecture in synthesis capabilities of each app.

The manuals for both app are present at the Yonac site.

No worries…the first part answered my question….I’d been under the impression previously that it was just a less cluttered version, like Trooper was more organized but otherwise the same. Now I understand why I struggled making sounds a bit in Trooper, like after a bit everything I was doing was starting to sound the same. That helped…thanks

• @Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

True…I also gotta remember a lot of GB users are happy or at least satisfied with the built in instruments. I’m more interested in making my own sounds vs presets , and the built in stuff sounds too “clean” for me. Only thing I really use it for besides as a DAW is the bass guitar (as a touch instrument paired with Tonebridge) and the drum kits (both electronic and acoustic) . Otherwise every instrument I use is third party. I realize I’m a rarity in that regard. I’m probably eventually going to get Cubasis but , again, I have a (probably irrational) fear of spending all that money and finding out it won’t work well on my phone .

The times I’ve used Cubasis on my phone have went pretty well, but it doesn’t feel as good as GB does on a cell phone. It’s close though, and not as cluttered as you’d think. And works better with AUs, imo.

• @HotStrange said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

The times I’ve used Cubasis on my phone have went pretty well, but it doesn’t feel as good as GB does on a cell phone. It’s close though, and not as cluttered as you’d think. And works better with AUs, imo.

That’s good to know…..I might wait til I get an iPad but knowing it’s better for AUs is a huge thing for me , like my main priority. The GarageBand glitches are getting to the point where it’s becoming a hindrance for me

• @Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

I realize how that must seem concerning given your initial experience but many of us have been at this for a long time and accumulated literally hundreds of apps and can say with some authority (and consensus) which apps and developers are consistently reliable. I’d like to assure you that whole situation with Zeeon was truly just a bit of bad timing. The app was stable with no issue for years and you just happened to buy it right when the dev released an exceedingly rare bad update. He’s an excellent developer and fixed that problem quickly. We all had faith that would happen because we know from experience which devs are proactive and trustworthy despite being one-man shops in many cases. I’m sure that knowledge is part of the reason you’re here to ask questions, in fact. I’m sorry you got spooked and returned it but your concerns are mostly unfounded here. In software development these things do happen from time to time and sure there is some risk involved (as with all things in life) but at the end of it all you probably spent $5-10 on a synthesizer that would’ve cost 10x the amount on Desktop or 100x that if it were actual hardware (super reliable but also subject to bad firmware or total failure). Try not to get so hung up on things and enjoy the wealth of options we have here at bargain prices.

• @Fear2Stop said:
    No worries…the first part answered my question….I’d been under the impression previously that it was just a less cluttered version, like Trooper was more organized but otherwise the same. Now I understand why I struggled making sounds a bit in Trooper, like after a bit everything I was doing was starting to sound the same. That helped…thanks

Personally I prefer the sound of Trooper over Magellan 2 which sounds a bit more ‘sterile’ in comparison.

One ‘older’ synth app I still enjoy using is Poison 202 and can highly recommend it.
    OB-Xd, KQ Dixie, TAL-U-NO-LX, Lagrange, Nambu, Model D are a few others with their own sound signature.

If there’s a specific type of sounds you look for feel free to ask (I’ve got most synths available for iOS being a forever app-o-holic).

Cheers!

• @Fear2Stop said:

@HotStrange said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

That’s good to know…..I might wait til I get an iPad but knowing it’s better for AUs is a huge thing for me , like my main priority. The GarageBand glitches are getting to the point where it’s becoming a hindrance for me

Yeah I usually only us GB when intend on doing most of everything within GB. Outside of that it’s usually CB3 or Zenbeats (which is also fantastic and probably closer to GB than CB is)

• @oddSTAR said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@tja said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@espiegel123 said:

I realize how that must seem concerning given your initial experience but many of us have been at this for a long time and accumulated literally hundreds of apps and can say with some authority (and consensus) which apps and developers are consistently reliable. I’d like to assure you that whole situation with Zeeon was truly just a bit of bad timing. The app was stable with no issue for years and you just happened to buy it right when the dev released an exceedingly rare bad update. He’s an excellent developer and fixed that problem quickly. We all had faith that would happen because we know from experience which devs are proactive and trustworthy despite being one-man shops in many cases. I’m sure that knowledge is part of the reason you’re here to ask questions, in fact. I’m sorry you got spooked and returned it but your concerns are mostly unfounded here. In software development these things do happen from time to time and sure there is some risk involved (as with all things in life) but at the end of it all you probably spent $5-10 on a synthesizer that would’ve cost 10x the amount on Desktop or 100x that if it were actual hardware (super reliable but also subject to bad firmware or total failure). Try not to get so hung up on things and enjoy the wealth of options we have here at bargain prices.

I know… you’re right. Truthfully, a lot of it stems from the fact I traditionally have bad luck in general and that’s caused me to be gunshy on a lot of things…and it ended up spilling over here. That resulted in me avoiding getting IVCS3 for a long time, thinking my screen size would prevent me from using it properly … and it’s turned out to be one of my favorites . It’s my own hang ups.:.life’s really kicked the crispy shit out of me the past few years , to put it mildly. I need to get over that.

Is it even possible to repurchase an app once it’s been refunded? Knowing the issue with Zeeon is fixed makes me feel better especially since I was really wanting to get the IAPs.

I think I’m going to get Sunrizer as well as I’m really digging what I’m hearing , and knowing these issues are being fixed does set me at ease a bit.

Another thing I’m realizing is I need to quit putting so much stock in App Store reviews and just ask here instead. My anxiety (social and otherwise ) makes it hard for me to ask questions sometimes admittedly. I’m almost 45 and I’ve struggled with that all my life, and I gotta get over that mess . Doesn’t help that I’m not a technical person by nature; I figure out how to do stuff on my own (I’m a self taught musician and learned several instruments on my own as well) and on this end of things, I can create stuff pretty well but I couldn’t explain the whys and hows of things on a technical level or know any of the jargon, and sometimes that intimidates me a bit,

• edited March 2023

@Fear2Stop said:
    ... Doesn’t help that I’m not a technical person by nature; I figure out how to do stuff on my own (I’m a self taught musician and learned several instruments on my own as well) and on this end of things, I can create stuff pretty well but I couldn’t explain the whys and hows of things on a technical level or know any of the jargon, and sometimes that intimidates me a bit

Don‘t worry, most people talking techy stuff today don‘t even „know“ a fraction of the content
    they are spreading. Things have turned into an enormous complexity in recent decades.
    Something as profane as a USB connection is based on specs covering several thousands of pages, let alone disk and cpu/bus interfaces and programming environments.
    (I‘m no exception to this) o:)

• One big advantage I do see with older models is that they usually run on older hardware. Take Sunrizer for example: The app still runs on my old iPad 2 with iOS 9.3.5. And it sounds great! Another app that prevents this historic iPad to end up in the e-waste. On the other hand I do love and own Zeeon as well. The sound is superb and it is one of my favourites on my new iPad 9th gen.