Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Creating ambient textures using field recordings, drums, and glitch

2»

Comments

• @el_bo said:

@sevenape said:
    Oh, FieldScaper is brilliant for mangling things, my favourite thing is to put asmr speaking into it and create weird ghostly whisperings

So many roads leading to that app, recently ;)

That's fascinating.

• @sevenape said:
    Oh, FieldScaper is brilliant for mangling things, my favourite thing is to put asmr speaking into it and create weird ghostly whisperings

Brilliant!

• @andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:
    I did some field recordings of the drips of snow melting from the trees in the woods nearby last week. I’ve been trying various resonator type effects and filter pinging techniques as a way to use them in the way you describe. I’m not quite getting there yet but I think more time and experimentation will eventually yield results…

What resonator effects have you been trying? I've been trying to find some resonator apps and plugins to choose from. One or two have been mentioned here for iOS today, which is a great help. I love the sounds that come out of the Wingie 2 hardware resonator.

Re: Resonators: Sorry I don't remember, do you own Drambo?

I have it, but haven't dared venture into it yet! Is there a resonator for Drambo?

I always forget about that module, really flexible… I tried the resonatado in AUM earlier and it works a treat sequencing or playing it with drips as pings… if I get a chance tomorrow I’ll record a demo, got to go to Manchester in a bit and my cat is being an attention seeker 😂

The other resonators I’ve tried have been the ones in Ableton and the AAS Objeq one, I think that’s on iOS as well…

• @andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:
    I did some field recordings of the drips of snow melting from the trees in the woods nearby last week. I’ve been trying various resonator type effects and filter pinging techniques as a way to use them in the way you describe. I’m not quite getting there yet but I think more time and experimentation will eventually yield results…

What resonator effects have you been trying? I've been trying to find some resonator apps and plugins to choose from. One or two have been mentioned here for iOS today, which is a great help. I love the sounds that come out of the Wingie 2 hardware resonator.

Re: Resonators: Sorry I don't remember, do you own Drambo?

I have it, but haven't dared venture into it yet! Is there a resonator for Drambo?

Yes, you can find it under Processor => Modal Resonator.
    It has many different models.
    Here's an example project for you.
    You can play the resonator pitches on the keyboard.
    If you change the input like so, you can also process audio going into Drambo (when hosting Drambo inside AUM or Drambo inside Drambo ;))

• @el_bo said:

@sevenape said:

It really is magic… even going outside to capture traffic noise or birds chirping can become a “thing” in FieldScaper quickly ❤️

• Another resonator which also can be played by keyboard or midi in general:
    https://apps.apple.com/de/app/resonatedo/id6444891127

• @Polyphonix said:
    Another resonator which also can be played by keyboard or midi in general:
    https://apps.apple.com/de/app/resonatedo/id6444891127

Yes... The only pity with resonatedo is that it would be very helpful, when feeding it from sequencers, if it had an ADSR envelope. I have asked the dev to add this, others might request it if they also think it would be useful 🙏

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@el_bo said:

@sevenape said:

It really is magic… even going outside to capture traffic noise or birds chirping can become a “thing” in FieldScaper quickly ❤️

Yeah...Kept seeing it mentioned in the AMBEO thread. I'm sure it' come up elsewhere, recently. Will have to spend some time watching the vides, as the first quick looks made it seem like a bit of a one-trick-pony. Of course, I'm aware his apps can get quite deep, though.

I already ended up buying my 'one app' for this month, though. But at least that gives me some more research time.

• edited March 2023

Wow, there's so much to explore here.

I disappeared for an hour, to lead one of two silent sittings I host on Sundays, and I come back here to find all these wonderful responses.

Thanks for sharing so openly everyone, this is turning into a wonderful conversation, with much to consider!

• @el_bo said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@el_bo said:

@sevenape said:

Yeah...Kept seeing it mentioned in the AMBEO thread. I'm sure it' come up elsewhere, recently. Will have to spend some time watching the vides, as the first quick looks made it seem like a bit of a one-trick-pony. Of course, I'm aware his apps can get quite deep, though.

I already ended up buying my 'one app' for this month, though. But at least that gives me some more research time.

I honour your discipline.

I keep a this month list (very short), a next list, a later list, and a wishlist for the bigger items that I don't know how I'll ever afford. This month, I also have the lovely opportunity of a birthday list, from which I will spend the birthday money I receive from family.

• On a side note: I just made a little website this weekend, to share my ambient music links (YouTube, Bandcamp, and SoundCloud) online, separate from my main silence and listening work website. You can find it at: aquietgarden.com — I built it on the persona.co platform, which I highly recommend as a budget option for an online presence.

My silence work website is on Squarespace, and costs a lot to host. But persona.co is $4 a month or less, and you can host more than one domain for that price — and you can use your own domain. It's incredible bang for your buck. Perfect for musicians, artists, and producers just starting out. No affiliateship or anything, just a personal recommendation. Definitely worth a look if you're looking for a simple, clean, lightweight and affordable website, for less than most apps!

• Keep on sharing folks, I'm really loving the discoveries I'm making here today, thank you.

• What I use for ambient:

Host: AUM

Field Recording / Mangling: Field Scaper, e-l-s-a

Synths / Textures / Pads: FRMS, Factory, Apparillo, Lofi Tape, Lagrange, Mersenne, Polywave

Effects: Bleass Granulizer, Dragonfly, Kosmonaut, Rymdigare, Koshiba

Midi: midiLFOs, midiGates

Generators: Piano Motifs, Riffer, ZOA, Xynthesizr

Sampler: Koala

I don’t make much glitch stuff. But Skiid and Fractal Bits can get you some glitchy sounds.

• @andowrites In response to your question about the Arturia pack I mentioned, Industrial Fractals is compatible with Analog Lab V. Out of the 32 presets in the pack, 3 are for ARP 2600, 4 are for Modular, and the rest are for Pigments. Owning Pigments would allow you to view and edit the presets, but you can use any of Arturia's presets with Analog Lab V. I wasn't sure which synths the presets were built for when I posted earlier. But I do own the pack, and I do think it's great for that flickering radio signal, post-apocalyptic, factory being reclaimed by a dense forest, type of ambient music.

• @Skyblazer said:
    @andowrites In response to your question about the Arturia pack I mentioned, Industrial Fractals is compatible with Analog Lab V. Out of the 32 presets in the pack, 3 are for ARP 2600, 4 are for Modular, and the rest are for Pigments. Owning Pigments would allow you to view and edit the presets, but you can use any of Arturia's presets with Analog Lab V. I wasn't sure which synths the presets were built for when I posted earlier. But I do own the pack, and I do think it's great for that flickering radio signal, post-apocalyptic, factory being reclaimed by a dense forest, type of ambient music.

Thank you. I have both Analog Lab V and Pigments. I found it and had a listen, along with the new Arturia ambient sound pack. Both sound useful.

• @andowrites said:

@sevenape said:
    There’s a new version of replicant coming soon. Version 2 is already really good for instant autechre style stuff

I'll take a look at Replicant 2.

I think Replicant 3 beta is still open, you can find a link by searching this forum. v3 is more intuitive, and also more suitable for sustained sounds with its envelope fades.

• iDensity and Synthscaper

• @bleep said:

@andowrites said:

@sevenape said:
    There’s a new version of replicant coming soon. Version 2 is already really good for instant autechre style stuff

I'll take a look at Replicant 2.

I think Replicant 3 beta is still open, you can find a link by searching this forum. v3 is more intuitive, and also more suitable for sustained sounds with its envelope fades.

Thanks, I'll search.

• edited March 2023

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    iDensity and Synthscaper

Thanks. I have these, but don't find the sounds resonate. Maybe I will look and listen again.

• It’s surely not the perfect resonator but AAS Objeq is really handy in combination with other effects and, as I learned from @Gavinski, maybe an Lfo.. it’s a ‘light’ version of one of their desktop plugins. worth a try

• @WilfredWelfare said:
    It’s surely not the perfect resonator but AAS Objeq is really handy in combination with other effects and, as I learned from @Gavinski, maybe an Lfo.. it’s a ‘light’ version of one of their desktop plugins. worth a try

Thanks, I was thinking to take a look at AAS Objeq.

• Can someone please shed some light on which of the several Delayrium apps will provide me with the best resonator options? I thought Infinite Delayrium, but now I'm not so sure. I'd like to be sure before buying. There are so many variations!

• @andowrites said:
    Can someone please shed some light on which of the several Delayrium apps will provide me with the best resonator options? I thought Infinite Delayrium, but now I'm not so sure. I'd like to be sure before buying. There are so many variations!

Searching the thread again, I see now that it is Infinite Delayrium I am looking for. :smile:

• @andowrites said:

@andowrites said:
    Can someone please shed some light on which of the several Delayrium apps will provide me with the best resonator options? I thought Infinite Delayrium, but now I'm not so sure. I'd like to be sure before buying. There are so many variations!

Searching the thread again, I see now that it is Infinite Delayrium I am looking for. :smile:

Nice 🙌🏽

• On the resonator front, Resonatedo and AAS Objeq as others have mentioned, but also the Spectrum bundle includes a native port of Mutable Rings, plus it’s also available as a module in MiRack.

My only issue with Resonatedo is that it crashes if I try to load more than one instance in AUM, but as I haven’t seen any other reports of this I suspect it’s down to lack of RAM in my iPad 6th gen. Otherwise it’s super fun, and fiddling about with its microtonal stuff is great, even if (as in my case) I don’t really have a clue what I’m doing.

Oh, and using LFOs with AAS Objeq is really interesting, too.