Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a very simple WAV record tool

I'd like to find a simple tool to just record whatever I play and send the WAV to myself quickly.
Just a simple record button, in the dock even maybe.

I've started screen capturing for that purpose but I think audio quality isn't the best.

Comments

• I'd give Dolby On a test-drive.

It's one button recording and has some nice optional processing built-in (Noise-removal etc.) and quick tool to trim the start & end of the recorded audio.
    https://www.dolby.com/apps/dolby-on/

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

@stelvio said:
    I'd like to find a simple tool to just record whatever I play and send the WAV to myself quickly.
    Just a simple record button, in the dock even maybe.

I've started screen capturing for that purpose but I think audio quality isn't the best.

Record from what source? External input or from apps? If from apps, which ones typically? Are you using a host? If so which one(s).

• Record from what source? External input or from apps? If from apps, which ones typically? Are you using a host? If so which one(s).

From apps, various apps but mostly NS2. I know it's silly I can just record in NS2 but I need something minimalist

• @Samu said:
    I'd give Dolby On a test-drive.

Thanks a ton! I'll give it a try!!

• @Samu said:

I think this is for external audio. My post wasn't clear I guess :)
    I want to record apps' audio.

• @stelvio said:

Record from what source? External input or from apps? If from apps, which ones typically? Are you using a host? If so which one(s).

From apps, various apps but mostly NS2. I know it's silly I can just record in NS2 but I need something minimalist

Audioshare

• @stelvio said:

@Samu said:

I think this is for external audio. My post wasn't clear I guess :)
    I want to record apps' audio.

There won’t be anything more minimalist than rendering from NS2 to a file. Second most minimalist would be a recording AU on NS2’s master bus. Any number of AU could do that.

You could send the output to Loopy Pro or AUM but that would not be minimalist at all.

iOS doesn’t allow for some of the utilities like we see on desktops for high jacking and capturing the main audio output.

• Thanks, yes it's funny you can screencapture video with audio but not just audio the same way..

• Wavebox can use screen recording to capture audio only so that might be worth to check as well?

• @Samu said:
    Wavebox can use screen recording to capture audio only so that might be worth to check as well?

You know so much, thanks, I'll check this too!!!

• You could send the output to Loopy Pro

this actually goes beyond what I was imagining, it could be more interesting. Can Loopy Pro record audio from audio apps?

• @stelvio said:

You could send the output to Loopy Pro

this actually goes beyond what I was imagining, it could be more interesting. Can Loopy Pro record audio from audio apps?

like a anything on ios, only of those audio apps have allowed that by enabling iaa or loading AUs. no app can grab audio streams if the apps don't support it other than via screen recording.

• like a anything on ios, only of those audio apps have allowed that by enabling iaa or loading AUs. no app can grab audio streams if the apps don't support it other than via screen recording.

I see, so I guess I won't be able to use NS2's Obsidian since they aren't AUs. but I'm interested in trying this workflow, it's interesting that you can have an AU synth for instance on top of those large Loopy Pro buttons, it's a bit what I had in mind. Just have to use something else than Obsidian I guess.
    One last question, can you also load Midi AU's in Loopy Pro? I use ChordPolyPad mostly.

• @stelvio said:

like a anything on ios, only of those audio apps have allowed that by enabling iaa or loading AUs. no app can grab audio streams if the apps don't support it other than via screen recording.

I see, so I guess I won't be able to use NS2's Obsidian since they aren't AUs. but I'm interested in trying this workflow, it's interesting that you can have an AU synth for instance on top of those large Loopy Pro buttons, it's a bit what I had in mind. Just have to use something else than Obsidian I guess.
    One last question, can you also load Midi AU's in Loopy Pro? I use ChordPolyPad mostly.

loopy pro can host both audio and midi au.

you can load loopy as an au in NS2 and capture NS2 output.

You can also connect NS2's output to Loopy Pro standalone as NS2 does have inter-app audio connections (output only).

• you can load loopy as an au in NS2 and capture NS2 output.

You can also connect NS2's output to Loopy Pro standalone as NS2 does have inter-app audio connections (output only).

wow crazy! both ways are possible, it's a party
    thank you for sharing your knowledge

• You can screen record from your iPhone/iPad. Then use a script in Shortcuts to rip the audio from the recording. I started using this in favor of using an app. Works really well.

• Imo, that is so much work (and lower fidelity) than simply mixing down in NS2 or capturing its audio with a recorder like loopy or the like as discussed above.

• If you have AUM, you can load NS2 as an input and use AUM's recording to capture the output. No need for Loopy Pro (though it's well worth getting!).

• I did mention Audioshare as an easy solution, but AUM is cream of the crop. When I produce 100% in Gadget, I feed Gadget's output into AUM to monitor LuFS levels via Youlean's Loudness Meter before I render the audio.

That said, you may want to get both Audioshare and AUM as they are both interlinked with one another (i.e. AUM records audio directly into Audioshare).

• edited March 2023

wow that's smart @TurnItUp thanks for sharing and for the screenshots!!

• edited March 2023

@wim said:
    If you have AUM, you can load NS2 as an input and use AUM's recording to capture the output. No need for Loopy Pro (though it's well worth getting!).

Thanks!!! I think it's tha way. I do have home and there's a send option right in AUM so I send this to myself very easily! Just wish it had a record button right from the dock.

• edited March 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I did mention Audioshare as an easy solution, but AUM is cream of the crop. When I produce 100% in Gadget, I feed Gadget's output into AUM to monitor LuFS levels via Youlean's Loudness Meter before I render the audio.

That said, you may want to get both Audioshare and AUM as they are both interlinked with one another (i.e. AUM records audio directly into Audioshare).

Yes! That's the way, I'm doing this now thanks so much. There's a send feature in AUM so not sure I'll be using Audioshare.
    Edit: I wish there was a record/pause button in the dock :)