Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I create subfolders to store my Mozaic scripts ?

I would like to have a special folder that is different from the default "User Patches" folder for my own projects in Mozaic. Is this possible and how ?

Comments

• You can put all the scripts you like together in a subfolder in a folder in the files app.
    Then zip that folder and export that zipped folder to mozaic, with open in mozaic.
    It is kind of a hack to make subfolders this way.
    When saving there is no other way then saving in the user folder.

• @Alfred said:
    You can put all the scripts you like together in a subfolder in a folder in the files app.
    Then zip that folder and export that zipped folder to mozaic, with open in mozaic.
    It is kind of a hack to make subfolders this way.
    When saving there is no other way then saving in the user folder.

Thanks, I will try that. So whenever I want to add a script, then I have to repeat this procedure again (put in folder, zip, upload ) ?

• Yes. Maybe you can test what happens with the other files in the subfolder.

• @brambos any chance of adding a subfolders function to the GUI? This would be very useful!

• @Gavinski said:
    @brambos any chance of adding a subfolders function to the GUI? This would be very useful!

Or, if that is possible, expose the internal patch folder to the files app.

• @catherder said:

@Gavinski said:
    @brambos any chance of adding a subfolders function to the GUI? This would be very useful!

iOS doesn’t allow for exposure of an AU’s private storage directory to files app.

• @espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

iOS doesn’t allow for exposure of an AU’s private storage directory to files app.

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

I think there are ways to bypass this by using the standalone app or using iCloud storage.

• @catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

I think there are ways to bypass this by using the standalone app or using iCloud storage.

If an app and its AUv3 use the system option to share a directory that directory is not exposable. There are other strategies devs can use but they have their own up’s and downs.

There are options using iCloud Drive developers can implement but for some use-cases that isn’t great because access to your documents becomes subject to iCloud access. Some AUv3 don’t use the shared storage option which creates its own hassles since you may often find yourself having to use the files app to track down your files.

• @espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

If an app and its AUv3 use the system option to share a directory that directory is not exposable. There are other strategies devs can use but they have their own up’s and downs.

There are options using iCloud Drive developers can implement but for some use-cases that isn’t great because access to your documents becomes subject to iCloud access. Some AUv3 don’t use the shared storage option which creates its own hassles since you may often find yourself having to use the files app to track down your files.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope iOS will get a proper file system one day.

• @espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

How has Drambo done this, then? My Drambo projects are all visible in Files, in the Drambo folder On my iPad. I do not use iCloud. When I load Drambo as AUv3 in AUM, it has access to the same projects. My understanding was that this is a solved problem; devs just need to handle it correctly. This was added to Drambo last December, version 2.20. Previously, Drambo offered a Web DAV server which was a bit cumbersome.

• Since were drifting into a generic discussion of file management, I want to understand what people know about the
    “Share” feature where apps are proposed as possible targets to accept a file… I would assume apps register as being good targets for file types which are exposed by file extensions.

Say I want to share a *.mozaic file. I’d like to see Mozaic proposed in the #1 slot and maybe some text editors like Textastic but
    IOS seems to show too many pointless apps. I’d love to see improvements in this behavior overtime.

The idea that files related to apps are hidden from users is probably a good decision for a device with such limited security capability. But it does put developers in a tough spot sometimes with irate users.

• @uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

How has Drambo done this, then? My Drambo projects are all visible in Files, in the Drambo folder On my iPad. I do not use iCloud. When I load Drambo as AUv3 in AUM, it has access to the same projects. My understanding was that this is a solved problem; devs just need to handle it correctly. This was added to Drambo last December, version 2.20. Previously, Drambo offered a Web DAV server which was a bit cumbersome.

Interesting. I'll mention this to the couple of devs from whom I got the information and see what they say.

• @espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

Interesting. I'll mention this to the couple of devs from whom I got the information and see what they say.

Right. This possibility was mentioned in this Drambo Forum post. That poster may know the necessary magic runes to make it happen. The requirement for a recent iOS version may be a constraint for some.

Incidentally, if you have the current Drambo, you must open it once stand-alone for it to create the Files folder. It doesn't just appear.

• edited March 2023

@McD said:
    Since were drifting into a generic discussion of file management, I want to understand what people know about the
    “Share” feature where apps are proposed as possible targets to accept a file… I would assume apps register as being good targets for file types which are exposed by file extensions.

Say I want to share a *.mozaic file. I’d like to see Mozaic proposed in the #1 slot and maybe some text editors like Textastic but
    IOS seems to show too many pointless apps. I’d love to see improvements in this behavior overtime.

The idea that files related to apps are hidden from users is probably a good decision for a device with such limited security capability. But it does put developers in a tough spot sometimes with irate users.

I don’t have any hard evidence, but if memory serves… over the years I’ve had a couple issues of the target app not showing up, and I simply opened it, used it briefly then the app would show up. My guess is the extension dictates what apps would accept those types of files…

I’d be interested in some specifics…

• This week Decent Sampler started opening the *zip files from PianoBook.co.uk using the “Share” route. The number of apps registered for *.zip is massive so I have to use “More…” and scroll way down the list but it’s still faster than renaming the zip to *.dslibrary. *.dslibrary files still install and some *.dspresets do as well.

• To get changes to Mozaic we need to help sell more product to justify the effort by @brambos.

To sell more Product we need to create some amazing scripts that get demo’ed and sell more units.

• @uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

Right. This possibility was mentioned in this Drambo Forum post. That poster may know the necessary magic runes to make it happen. The requirement for a recent iOS version may be a constraint for some.

Incidentally, if you have the current Drambo, you must open it once stand-alone for it to create the Files folder. It doesn't just appear.

It looks like that requires iOS 14 or later -- so apps that are maintaining compatibility with earlier OS versions can't do it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@catherder said:

@Gavinski said:

It looks like that requires iOS 14 or later -- so apps that are maintaining compatibility with earlier OS versions can't do it.

Actually, Drambo makes the shared file feature optional. The current version (2.24) runs on my iPad Air (1), with iOS 12.5.7, with shared files turned off. So apps can still support old iOS versions, while offering enhancements to updated users.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2023

@rs2000 showed me the way to auto-download all the scripts on PatchStorage Mozaic and zip them up and import that zip into Mozaic. He also uploaded a Zip to patchstorage with the scripts that were there before he zipped.

That process should be repeated and the script organized by functions and zipped and uploaded so anyone with Mozaic can get all the scripts in 1 go… now someone will say “But that’s a waste of storage” and I say that it’s probably a few MB’s because it’s just short text files and not MIDI or Audio files.

Let me dust off my Unix scripting stuff… I wonder if the IOS “A-Shell” app is up to it. Must check for a zip capability. Linux has something to compress and I wonder if adding *.zip would work.

OK… nice afternoon project.

UPDATE: A-shell has python and there’s a python module called zipfile that works to zip and unzip folders. This might work on an iPad… need to find @rs2000s script and see if the right tools are in A-shell.

UPDATE2: I hit a road block… this is the process @rs2000 showed me:

Save the complete web page https://patchstorage.com/Mozaic after scrolling to the very bottom in order to make sure the page is loaded completely. Save with images using Chrome, otherwise the html might not catch all links.

Chrome on IOS doesn’t offer the “save page” option. Arg. I’ll save on my MacBook and Airdrop the file to the iPad.