Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Skip-back sampling / Retroactive record AUv3?

Is there an AU that works like the sp404 mk2’s skipback sampling feature? I’d love to find an effect I can put on my master channel in AUM that is constantly recording to a buffer that’s a minute or two long that I can easily export at any time.

(I know that there are options that will record indefinitely but I don’t want to see my disk space rapidly disappear when I’m not thinking about it. )

Thanks!

Comments

• Loopy Pro has a retrospective recording feature. You set a buffer length (I am not sure of the maximum duration). When it is on, at any time you can tap a clip and it will be filled with what is in the buffer.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Loopy Pro has a retrospective recording feature. You set a buffer length (I am not sure of the maximum duration). When it is on, at any time you can tap a clip and it will be filled with what is in the buffer.

Thanks. I was aware of that but was hoping to find something that’s not clock-dependent and always running. (I may be wrong, but I thought the loopy feature only works if it’s clock is running. )

• edited March 2023

Dawnbeat is basically a clone of the 404 and it does this. It’s a cool feature for sure. And free for the basic version. The full version has AU effects.

• @HotStrange said:
    Dawnbeat is basically a clone of the 404 and it does this. It’s a cool feature for sure. And free for the basic version. The full version has AU effects.

Thanks, but downbeat can’t be loaded into the effects slot of a host to record audio as far as I can tell. It can host AUs, but can’t be loaded as one, right?

• @legsmechanical said:

@HotStrange said:

Thanks, but downbeat can’t be loaded into the effects slot of a host to record audio as far as I can tell. It can host AUs, but can’t be loaded as one, right?

Correct. You can load files and your own samples into it, and even record directly in via screen recording. So a small work around, but basically ends up being the same thing.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Loopy Pro has a retrospective recording feature. You set a buffer length (I am not sure of the maximum duration). When it is on, at any time you can tap a clip and it will be filled with what is in the buffer.

Actually, I can get this to work out after some experimentation. Seems like there’s a fairly short undocumented limit on the buffer length, though. Most I can get is 16 bars at around 95 bpm. The clip won’t grab anything for a loop length longer than that.

• @legsmechanical said:

@espiegel123 said:

Actually, I can get this to work out after some experimentation. Seems like there’s a fairly short undocumented limit on the buffer length, though. Most I can get is 16 bars at around 95 bpm. The clip won’t grab anything for a loop length longer than that.

Can you confirm that, @Michael ?

• @legsmechanical said:
    Is there an AU that works like the sp404 mk2’s skipback sampling feature? I’d love to find an effect I can put on my master channel in AUM that is constantly recording to a buffer that’s a minute or two long that I can easily export at any time.

(I know that there are options that will record indefinitely but I don’t want to see my disk space rapidly disappear when I’m not thinking about it. )

Thanks!

Search the forum for pianogram, currently in beta, but will basically be a midi version of what you're looking for, though not an audio version.

• @legsmechanical said:

@legsmechanical said:

@espiegel123 said:

I think that in 1.0 the maximum length might be 1 minute -- while loopy's clock needs to be running, you can have it decoupled from AUM's and if you aren't actually synching to a clock. Can just have loopy's AU on the master bus running all the time without AUM running.

You can must pick an internal tempo in loopy that's convenient to the length you want.

• @legsmechanical said:

@legsmechanical said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yeah, it’s something like that – I’ve made that bigger for the next major update

• In the 1.1 beta, it looks like it might be up to about 4 minutes.

• @Michael said:

@legsmechanical said:

@legsmechanical said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yeah, it’s something like that – I’ve made that bigger for the next major update

That’ll be great. Looking forward to it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@legsmechanical said:

@legsmechanical said:

@espiegel123 said:

I think that in 1.0 the maximum length might be 1 minute -- while loopy's clock needs to be running, you can have it decoupled from AUM's and if you aren't actually synching to a clock. Can just have loopy's AU on the master bus running all the time without AUM running.

You can must pick an internal tempo in loopy that's convenient to the length you want.

Thanks. That’s exactly what I’m doing in addition to turning off all the quantize options. Works perfectly so long as I remember to start the loopy transport at the beginning of each session.