Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Screen Kiss - Thomas Dolby - JAX Emporeor Grand Piano

I love this song and recently created an arrangement for Acoustic Piano. I dl Test flight to try out JAX Emperor and was so impressed with the sound i decided to quickly record this and upload. Took a minute because i had to create an account on Soundcloud as didn't want to upload this to youtube.

A few things - not sure why i was getting some distortion blips but, think it may because was playing from controller hooked to DAW to the iPad and then back to DAW through ADAT and singing live with multiple FX so, don't blame that on the JAX Emperor. Since this was a quick live didn't want to re-record as you can get the idea of the piano played live without MIDI. This thing sounds Great! Also there [EDIT] is Reverb (default for Stratosphere - unintentional, thought removed) on JAX Emperor and using Model 1.

Did this live so, there are some mistakes and a few whoops. Also, it is raining here quite a bit lately and my allergies are acting up so you can hear my nasal rounded sound some at times. Ok enough disclaimers ...anyway enjoy and take a serious look at this beautiful instrument jason created.

Comments

• The piano is drenched in FX even so.

I think that's a feature and probably why I'll keep buying JAX versions to see how the "rooms" change with the
    selected target Models.

• Really beautiful performance!
    Love this song and your singing.

• jason said:

@McD said:
    The piano is drenched in FX even so.

I think that's a feature and probably why I'll keep buying JAX versions to see how the "rooms" change with the
    selected target Models.

We do NOT use any FX with our piano collections (in contradiction to Pianoteq for instance) !

The only thing, that is often mismatched as being ‚reverb‘ is the string resonance. This is physically seen just a reverberation, as it is produced by the strings inside a resonating piano body and its entire metal construction. But there is neither a reverb used nor any other ‚effects‘, to be clear.

The amount of required string resonance can be edited by the way. With version 2.x even 2 more parameters will be exposed for this. The audible amount of string resonance depends on several things, i.e. the microphone position or whether the piano lid is open or not, and also depends on the distance of audition.

A proper emulation of the various resonances should be a key feature for any piano emulation out there, as this cannot be reproduced by samplers satisfactory for the reason of (unwanted) polyphonic summing.

Good points. A piano in an anechoic chamber (with all surface reverberations of the room removed) still has a high degree of reverberation due to the acoustic coupling of the strings to a large resonant sound board under the strings and the sympathetic resonances created by one string being stimulated mechanically to all the other strings and "resonance" from the overtone series kicking in accordingly.

But saying all this:

Piano Apps sometimes have setting that are extremely dry while others are captured with the addition of the environment.

These new pianos seem to exist on stages to me. I still have NOT tried playing through my MIDI controlling Casio with weighted keys to experience interacting in that personal way. I'm still just listening from the audience based on the provided MIDI files as sources.

• jason said:
    [Pianoteq] acclaimed ‚authorised’ emulations (Steinway, Blüthner, Bechstein, Grotrian… ) that I am asking myself why these companies allowed them to use their brand names. ^^

I'd expect that a percentage of sales was negotiated for the right to use the logos and claim "authorized". For us that increases the price.

The "Hammond BX-3" app that IK Multimedia markets also has Hammonds endorsement and involvement in the product driving up the cost.

It's wise to hint at the piano being targeted by using clues and avoiding lawyers cease and desist for damages or a cut of the revenue to date.

If people can hear the piano before buying that's key... taste testing with open TestFlight links is awesome. I'm not going to TestFlight because it changes the experience for me and I'm a shit beta tester... a good beta tester aggressively seeks out and exposes bugs or what their belief to be a bug.

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    Really beautiful performance!
    Love this song and your singing.

+1. Well done!

• jason said:

@citizenK said:
    I love this song and recently created an arrangement for Acoustic Piano. I dl Test flight to try out JAX Emperor and was so impressed with the sound i decided to quickly record this and upload. Took a minute because i had to create an account on Soundcloud as didn't want to upload this to youtube.

A few things - not sure why i was getting some distortion blips but, think it may because was playing from controller hooked to DAW to the iPad and then back to DAW through ADAT and singing live with multiple FX so, don't blame that on the JAX Emperor. Since this was a quick live didn't want to re-record as you can get the idea of the piano played live without MIDI. This thing sounds Great! Also there are no FX on JAX Emperor and using Model 1.

Did this live so, there are some mistakes and a few whoops. Also, it is raining here quite a bit lately and my allergies are acting up so you can hear my nasal rounded sound some at times. Ok enough disclaimers ...anyway enjoy and take a serious look at this beautiful instrument jason created.

🥰

What did you use as reverb?
    It sounds like there is a kind of modulation effect applied too. Possibly part of the reverb?

I think. this time nobody will claim that it ‚does not cut thru the mix‘. 😀

(Tip: possibly some taming by using a flatter velocity curve or reducing the ‚brillance‘ parameter or raising ‚body resonance‘ could improve the result. as it really is quite dominant and bright now. However, surely good for a demonstration here.)

👍

whoops... jason you are correct. I just pulled up the session in AUM (load last state) and i did have Reverb on the Piano, my bad! :s I had the JAX Emporeor window opened which hid the fx slots!! anyway, i thought i removed it b4 record. i only put in to see what it sounded like with reverb, apparently right before recording (fyi, it was just the default for Stratosphere Cloud reverb as i picked a reverb at random). I will edit the post to make it clear there was Reverb on the recording... i did this live and pretty quickly which caused the confusion. I played with the Emporeor mostly no FX and can say this sounds Really good. :) Also, i did not change default setting with the Model 1 except to turn down a bit for reason you suggest... i did play again after pulling up the AUM session used to record and yes, it was clipping at times.

• This sounds great. Excellent work @citizenK.

jason I'm eager to see how the final versions of these pianos sound. Something I noticed today: The default release time is a lot longer for Emperor compared to my sampled pianos. Even at its lowest value, it's a little bit longer than any of my other pianos.

Also, I found a bug: when Emperor is loaded in AUM, and I swipe the app icon to the left to disconnect it temporarily, and then I swipe right to return it to being active, the setting for release time is not remembered, until I touch the "Release" knob again. The setting is remembered visually, but the audio does not reflect this. This bug does not happen with the "String Resonance" knob. I haven't checked the other knobs.

• @citizenK said:

A few things - not sure why i was getting some distortion blips but, think it may because was playing from controller hooked to DAW to the iPad and then back to DAW through ADAT and singing live with multiple FX so, don't blame that on the JAX Emperor. Since this was a quick live didn't want to re-record as you can get the idea of the piano played live without MIDI. This thing sounds Great! Also there [EDIT] is Reverb (default for Stratosphere - unintentional, thought removed) on JAX Emperor and using Model 1.

I like this song (didnt understand lyrics as my english didnt allow „screen kiss” but why to kiss the monitor? but I like the vibe)!

• @szczyp said:
    I like this song (didnt understand lyrics as my english didnt allow „screen kiss” but why to kiss the monitor? but I like the vibe)!

A screen kiss is the big close up depiction of two movie stars kissing in an old style Hollywood movie.

• @citizenK said:

You have done a superb job covering a TD's song. Your vocals are so good. Every nuance in the original vocal you have thought through, Really pleasing to hear. Would love your take on Urban Tribal.

• We have a lot of talented folks lurking here. It’s always great to hear from one. That bit of solo piano sound at the end turned me away from the Empereor. It’s just subjective. Every software piano and every acoustic has strengths and weaknesses.

• Good song; nice performance. Many thanks.