Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiothing Reels Released | Spoken Walkthrough & Giveaway (See Pinned YT Comment)

Comments

• @Krupa said:

@bygjohn said:

@Krupa said:

@GLacey said:
    I do remember the early eighties. I was so keen on to get rid of the pops and clicks on my records or the hiss and other sound quality issues on my compact cassettes.
    And when the compact discs came we were amazed by the sonic experience. My favourite bands sounded crystal clear.
    Now, more than 3 decades later when we are able to make music on our ipads at 192kHz sample rate and 32 bits resolution which far better then the CD's, more and more apps, plugins appear just for degrading the sound quality to the level of the '60s and '70s.

I have absolutely no problem with this, because it has its place in the music. I just thought about how strange it is :)

Maybe we needed to get to such high levels of technical audibility in order to really hear the crackles and fuzz properly, as they were meant to be heard 😅

Also, to realise that perfection can be just plain boring.

I find it interesting that once the tools progressed to certain point, some artists’ output deteriorated. They could suddenly do what they’d been dreaming of, but lost something important in the process. Prime example being Tangerine Dream. As one of my friends put it: “after Peter Baumann left, it’s all just shiny tunes”. I’d be a little more forgiving of some of their early 80s output, but he has a point. The limitations of the equipment they used to start with forced them to make much more interesting music. NB: your mileage may well vary. I’m not trying to start an argument!

We’ve also now got to a point where much of the music produced is so over-polished it has all the life sucked out of it. So controlled sonic degradation comes to the rescue, injecting much needed grit and texture. Again, YMMV.

Yeah totally, I actually had the most fun today in between zoom sessions just playing a Commodore 64 (using its actual keyboard) with a cynthcart into gauss, insanely low quality but so evocative and emotionally resonant…

Now that I would like to hear!

• @bygjohn said:

@Krupa said:

@bygjohn said:

@Krupa said:

@GLacey said:
    I do remember the early eighties. I was so keen on to get rid of the pops and clicks on my records or the hiss and other sound quality issues on my compact cassettes.
    And when the compact discs came we were amazed by the sonic experience. My favourite bands sounded crystal clear.
    Now, more than 3 decades later when we are able to make music on our ipads at 192kHz sample rate and 32 bits resolution which far better then the CD's, more and more apps, plugins appear just for degrading the sound quality to the level of the '60s and '70s.

I have absolutely no problem with this, because it has its place in the music. I just thought about how strange it is :)

Maybe we needed to get to such high levels of technical audibility in order to really hear the crackles and fuzz properly, as they were meant to be heard 😅

Also, to realise that perfection can be just plain boring.

I find it interesting that once the tools progressed to certain point, some artists’ output deteriorated. They could suddenly do what they’d been dreaming of, but lost something important in the process. Prime example being Tangerine Dream. As one of my friends put it: “after Peter Baumann left, it’s all just shiny tunes”. I’d be a little more forgiving of some of their early 80s output, but he has a point. The limitations of the equipment they used to start with forced them to make much more interesting music. NB: your mileage may well vary. I’m not trying to start an argument!

We’ve also now got to a point where much of the music produced is so over-polished it has all the life sucked out of it. So controlled sonic degradation comes to the rescue, injecting much needed grit and texture. Again, YMMV.

Yeah totally, I actually had the most fun today in between zoom sessions just playing a Commodore 64 (using its actual keyboard) with a cynthcart into gauss, insanely low quality but so evocative and emotionally resonant…

Now that I would like to hear!

I will at some point actually record something from those sessions, I tend to just see them as throwaway/relaxing like a noodle sesh on the guitar but they do always sound lovely one way or the other…

• There's more to the 'old' music than the 'lo-fi factor'.

'Modern' music is quite boring in general with 8-16 bar loop variations repeating over and over again with effects being used trying to polish a turd...

Don't get me wring I love the sound of old equipment because it varies on every single repetition, baking the effect in to a recording and playing it back without any alteration makes it sterile and lifeless compared to the original where each repetition was unique.

• Stoked! I’ll be using a lot. Sounds great and looks fantastic.

• So I have a few tape apps. Tape Cassete, RE-1, ChowTape, but I’ve been considering buying Reelbus or Tape pro to have another more featured tape effect. Does this offer anything over those 2? I’ve heard great things about Reelbus and I love the Caelum apps. Tape Pro is the only one I don’t have from him.

• I really like it. It comes with a nice decent number selection of built-ins. I find it rather versatile. I have been having a blast just using it simply (I am not a super detailed router type of user so I keep it really easy peasy) in AUM with my own made Blocswave patches, its a lot of great fun. Nice & glitchy- just the way I love it. Must watch the whole video now as I keep on stopping and playing with new ideas. :smile:

• @HotStrange said:
    So I have a few tape apps. Tape Cassete, RE-1, ChowTape, but I’ve been considering buying Reelbus or Tape pro to have another more featured tape effect. Does this offer anything over those 2? I’ve heard great things about Reelbus and I love the Caelum apps. Tape Pro is the only one I don’t have from him.

Well, the bad news is, "Reels" takes away all the bass from a mix whereas ChowTape doesn't (unless you set its controls to do so). The good news is, this is perfect for slapping on an instrument or instrument buss. Just don't send your bassline to the instrument buss. 🤣

Anyways, yeah, too late for me to enter your contest Gav. I already purchased it, lol.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:
    So I have a few tape apps. Tape Cassete, RE-1, ChowTape, but I’ve been considering buying Reelbus or Tape pro to have another more featured tape effect. Does this offer anything over those 2? I’ve heard great things about Reelbus and I love the Caelum apps. Tape Pro is the only one I don’t have from him.

Well, the bad news is, "Reels" takes away all the bass from a mix whereas ChowTape doesn't (unless you set its controls to do so). The good news is, this is perfect for slapping on an instrument or instrument buss. Just don't send your bassline to the instrument buss. 🤣

Anyways, yeah, too late for me to enter your contest Gav. I already purchased it, lol.

Ah gotcha. I don’t use tape effects on bass too often anyway, unless it’s for a whole track. Which o guess I could use chowtape for that. Kind of a bummer you can’t use it to give the whole song a tape feel without taking the bass out.

How are you liking it?

• I've had access to some of the Audio Thing apps on a desktop DAW from doing stuff in my friends project studio so when I saw they were coming to iOS I was excited. I've bought them all and I'm not disappointed with any of them.

Are some more useful than others? Yes. But what each app does it does it very good. Reels can add tape artifacts to tracks but the real attraction is the tape delay. The recent Space Echo clone from GSI is very good but there's some warmth and soul that Reels has that's just really sweet. Check this one out...

• edited March 2023

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Ah gotcha. I don’t use tape effects on bass too often anyway, unless it’s for a whole track. Which o guess I could use chowtape for that. Kind of a bummer you can’t use it to give the whole song a tape feel without taking the bass out.

How are you liking it?

I'm loving it a lot! Like Wires, Reels has a unique flavour of what it adds to an instrument track. ❤️ It gives sounds a 1930s/1940s feel. Once I get off my bum and get to work on my piece for Metropolis, Reels and Wires will both be used on instrument tracks, which one I use on a track depending on what flavour a given track calls for. ;)

For bass, I'd recommend Reelbus or Saturn. Or even better, send the bass to the drum buss (making it a drum/bass buss), sidechain to the kick (EDM) or kick and snare (HipHop), and slap Beef or Knock on that.

But all in all, I love Reels for what it can do to a sound, not what it can't. ;)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Good point. Also, ChowTape has no delay, never mind the dirty routing option that this has. Tape Pro, Reels and Chow are all more versatile in feature sets, but Reels has a lot of character. They're all nice but in different ways. Pity Reels has no separate control over left / right echo speed, feedback, amount etc like Reelbus has. Also much less control over wow and flutter than the others. But that also leads to a much simpler and faster to dial in interface. Plus it is the only one with a randomizer!

• @JRSIV said:
    I've had access to some of the Audio Thing apps on a desktop DAW from doing stuff in my friends project studio so when I saw they were coming to iOS I was excited. I've bought them all and I'm not disappointed with any of them.

Are some more useful than others? Yes. But what each app does it does it very good. Reels can add tape artifacts to tracks but the real attraction is the tape delay. The recent Space Echo clone from GSI is very good but there's some warmth and soul that Reels has that's just really sweet. Check this one out...

Yes, the delay here is really really characterful, especially on the dirty setting.

• @Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Good point. Also, ChowTape has no delay, never mind the dirty routing option that this has. Tape Pro, Reels and Chow are all more versatile in feature sets, but Reels has a lot of character. They're all nice but in different ways. Pity Reels has no separate control over left / right echo speed, feedback, amount etc like Reelbus has. Also much less control over wow and flutter than the others. But that also leads to a much simpler and faster to dial in interface. Plus it is the only one with a randomizer!

Indeed! Randomizers are a lot of fun to muck about with, and I haven't tapped into the echo function yet (pun intended...I'll see myself out 😂).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Indeed! Randomizers are a lot of fun to muck about with, and I haven't tapped into the echo function yet (pun intended...I'll see myself out 😂).

Haha. Like Wires, the echo is where it's at, at, at....

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

How are you liking it?

I'm loving it a lot! Like Wires, Reels has a unique flavour of what it adds to an instrument track. ❤️ It gives sounds a 1930s/1940s feel. Once I get off my bum and get to work on my piece for Metropolis, Reels and Wires will both be used on instrument tracks, which one I use on a track depending on what flavour a given track calls for. ;)

For bass, I'd recommend Reelbus or Saturn. Or even better, send the bass to the drum buss (making it a drum/bass buss), sidechain to the kick (EDM) or kick and snare (HipHop), and slap Beef or Knock on that.

But all in all, I love Reels for what it can do to a sound, not what it can't. ;)

Just bought it haha about to dive in here in a bit. I’m such a fan of AudioThing so I couldn’t pass it up. Will definitely have to send bass to a separate bus which is only a bummer because sometimes you just wanna run the whole thing through to give it a subtle vintage feel. Still excited though!

• @Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

😂😂😂 Amen!

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

How are you liking it?

Just bought it haha about to dive in here in a bit. I’m such a fan of AudioThing so I couldn’t pass it up. Will definitely have to send bass to a separate bus which is only a bummer because sometimes you just wanna run the whole thing through to give it a subtle vintage feel. Still excited though!

Reelbus is definitely for the subtler vintage feel. ☺️ Lo-fi-af too so long as you don't go bonkers with the settings.

• @Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Oh, plus Reels is the only one with an envelope, an adjustable one at that, for the noise 🔥

• @Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Oh, plus Reels is the only one with an envelope, an adjustable one at that, for the noise 🔥

Really loving that envelope. It’s one of those things that doesn’t seem like much at first until you dive in.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

😂😂😂 Amen!

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

How are you liking it?

Reelbus is definitely for the subtler vintage feel. ☺️ Lo-fi-af too so long as you don't go bonkers with the settings.

I was on the beta for all the UA apps but I just haven’t gotten around to buying any (yet), but once I get a nice pay check I plan on getting that bundle. Needlepoint especially was fantastic.

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Really loving that envelope. It’s one of those things that doesn’t seem like much at first until you dive in.

Yeah it is definitely useful. And double yes, love Needlepoint

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Which of the UA apps are you most keen on? I kinda want to get needlepoint first but I do also have Time Machine from 4pockets.

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Which of the UA apps are you most keen on? I kinda want to get needlepoint first but I do also have Time Machine from 4pockets.

Probably needlepoint, lofiaf and silo. They're all good / great, tho maybe bass mint is less useful for me personally than the others (or maybe I just haven't played with it as much)

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Probably needlepoint, lofiaf and silo. They're all good / great, tho maybe bass mint is less useful for me personally than the others (or maybe I just haven't played with it as much)

You pretty much nailed the exact 3 I’m looking at. That said, for the price that bundle is pretty great. I might save up and just knock out all 5 with that.

• Pad>Reels>Verb sounds very nice. Is it breaking new ground? Not sure, but I like the vibe. I'll use this quite a bit.

• Reels is great... just know what you are using it for. It is definetly more on the lofi, add atmos type fx. I love it and use it on the desktop. will probably get for iPad too as it is that good.

• Winners announced: Insta, LittleFlecksOfDust, Twitter, Deral Fenderson, YouTube, Les Miller 🎉

• Still on the fence with this one… I already have reelbus, RE-1 and CHOWTapeModel.
    Anyone fancy making a video processing vocals to help me decide?
    I’m aiming for something like Portishead or even Interpol style sounds which it seems would be possible but I’m unable to find any decent videos demonstrating this.
    Cheers!

• @iamspoon said:
    Still on the fence with this one… I already have reelbus, RE-1 and CHOWTapeModel.
    Anyone fancy making a video processing vocals to help me decide?
    I’m aiming for something like Portishead or even Interpol style sounds which it seems would be possible but I’m unable to find any decent videos demonstrating this.
    Cheers!

Zip up some vocals and DM them to me maybe

• @HotStrange said:

This was my first question too. I'm tempted, but I have Tape Pro, RE-1, TB Reelbus, ChowTape, so I wonder if there's anything to be gained by adding this. I've been enjoying the demo version of it on desktop. It seems to have something the others aren't giving me, but still, I'm wondering.

• @citizenK said:
    Reels is great... just know what you are using it for. It is definetly more on the lofi, add atmos type fx. I love it and use it on the desktop. will probably get for iPad too as it is that good.

Are you using any other tape effects on desktop and iPad? Besides Reels? I'm wondering if I will gain enough from adding it to my toolkit.