Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good DAW apps for iPad Pro

Hello! I am a relatively new iPad user and have been enjoying it a lot, but for the most part I do most of my audio work on my Windows laptop with an Audiobox USB. I would like to transfer most of that workload to my iPad, mostly controlling my synthesizers through MIDI and recording them on a multitrack and adding effects. Does anyone have good recommendations for this?

Comments

• I assume you mean sequencing your synths with the ipad. Cubasis can do that and has multitrack recording.

• @91SNESplayer what software do you use on your Windows laptop? Cubasis is a good choice if you're accustomed to a traditional DAW workflow, Zenbeats might be worth a look if you're more accustomed to an Ableton Live/clip based workflow (though I haven't tried to use Zenbeats to control and record hardware, so I can't really comment on how well that works). AUM with Xequence or LK can be wired up into this sort of workflow, but is probably more suited if you are into tinkering and experimentation.

• @mjm1138 said:
    @91SNESplayer what software do you use on your Windows laptop? Cubasis is a good choice if you're accustomed to a traditional DAW workflow, Zenbeats might be worth a look if you're more accustomed to an Ableton Live/clip based workflow (though I haven't tried to use Zenbeats to control and record hardware, so I can't really comment on how well that works). AUM with Xequence or LK can be wired up into this sort of workflow, but is probably more suited if you are into tinkering and experimentation.

For the most part, I just use Audacity and MIDI Editor on my computer, mostly for sampling though I have been interested in getting something like PreSonus’ Artist Studio. If I could find something like that for iPad, that would be great and Cubasis looks like it could fit that bill.

• Korg Gadget might be worth a look…

• @zzrwood said:
    Korg Gadget might be worth a look…

It does seem interesting, though I typically use hardware synthesizers, software synths can be handy.

• Cubasis 3 would be the best for this.

• Imo, Cubasis 3 is the best DAW iOS has to offer but GarageBand is free and great too. Heard good things about Audio Evolution and FL but never used them.

• For me Loppy pro or Zenbeats are my favorite. I prefer non linear sequencer and use loops with timelines.

• Check the major DAWs mentioned out and go with the one that you are drawn to and mostly aligns with your workflow.

For me, that is Roland Zenbeats hands down.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Cubasis 3 or Auria Pro are perfect fits for your needs.

• edited March 2023

Welcome @91SNESplayer

That comes with Presonus studio one correct? Are you familiar with using various vst’s and other software inside your DAW or are you looking to have everything you need inside one app? More midi, more audio, or both?

In no order…

cubasis 3 - probably best bet for a more traditional DAW. You can catch it on sale at half off a few times a year. Waves Audio plugins as iaps.

Audio Evolution Mobile, good option with Toneboosters plugins as IAPs, affordable .

Auria Pro, but its one of the few I don’t have.

GarageBand - definitely try this before you buy any to see how far you can go.

Nanostudio 2, but no audio tracks.

Multitrack DAW but audio only

Beatmaker 3, but the workflow never quite fit well with me personally, some love it.

Impc 2 pro, a more impc, sampling, drum pad style, but regular stuff too

Korg Gadget is great but it’s a somewhat closed system. depends on what your going for…

I love a more open system, sometimes referred to as a DAW-less workflow, basically a host for all your audio unit apps. Apps like Audiobus 3, AUM (my favorite for about 4-5 years now) or Apematrix all fit the bill. I didn’t start with AUM, but that’s what I eventually ended up discovering.

• edited March 2023

I would love to read your opinions on Loopy Pro used as DAW, as well... as I am about to take plunge. :)
    I already own Aurio Pro and Cubase 2 and Audio Evolution Mobile but I was wondering the main
    differences Loopy Pro could have with these...

• @DMfan said:
    Check the major DAWs mentioned out and go with the one that you are drawn to and mostly aligns with your workflow.

For me, that is Roland Zenbeats hands down.

/DMfan🇸🇪

Ah I forgot about Zenbeats somehow. That’s probably my second favorite to C3. It’s very close though.

• @CapnWillie said:
    I would also recommend Zenbeats 3 considering you have iPad and Windows machines. While it isn't a DAW (per Roland) it has pretty much all the trimmings of a pro one. You will be able to transfer your work in Zenbeats to any platform from Apple to Android to Windows no problem.

I agree 100% with this and everything else @CapnWillie said above. I spent loads of time trying out other iPad DAWs before deciding that Zenbeats is nearly ideal for the way I work. It’s also the most fun to use, IMO.

My 2nd favorite, which also runs on all platforms, is nTrack Studio, although that one isn’t discussed much here on the forum.

• Since you already have GarageBand on your iPad, try it first.