Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM error message when switching sessions

In a setup for live performance I've been using AUM with a single big session with all the plugins I use always loaded, sending patch changes and MIDI messages as needed for AUM pre-sets from a BandHelper setlist and using a streambyter plugin in AUM for routing, keyboard splits, etc. as needed. I'm beginning to experiment with having a separate AUM session per song where only the resources needed are in each session. So far it seems to work though not yet trialed in a live setting. But with every patch change there's a brief error message in AUM that flashes for less than a second that says
"Could not load session
Previous session save still in progress.
Skipping load of '?.aumproj'"

where ? is the new session name.
I generally wouldn't be actually saving anything in a session FWIW.

In spite of that the session does seem to load but I'm wondering if it's some sort of problem waiting to happen? Anyone have any info on that?

Also interested in anyone's experience with this approach vs the single session I have been doing for live performing, in particular if the time to load sessions is limiting ion any way?

Thanks!

Pat

Comments

• I suspect AUM is trying to save the "Last State", which you can load when opening the app.

• So is that likely to be a problem or can it safely be ignored? Any idea if it'd cause a noticeable delay in session loading in a live setting?

• @paddy said:
    So is that likely to be a problem or can it safely be ignored? Any idea if it'd cause a noticeable delay in session loading in a live setting?

No idea. Ask @j_liljedahl.

• AUM always saves the current session state (to the "restore last state" file) when loading a new session, that way a user can "undo" a session load if he/she forgot there was unsaved changes etc.

The error message means you are sending session-load messages too rapidly. Allow some time in between so it has a chance to save the old session before loading the new one.

• Thanks. So I'm only sending a single load command as a MIDI PC message, as set up in the MIDI Control settings. Is there a different way I should be doing that? Should I be sending some sort of clear command first then waiting? As I said the desired session still seems to load and the error message is so short lived before it disappears and the proper session loads that it took me several tries to coordinate a screenshot to actually even be able to capture and read it.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    AUM always saves the current session state (to the "restore last state" file) when loading a new session, that way a user can "undo" a session load if he/she forgot there was unsaved changes etc.

The error message means you are sending session-load messages too rapidly. Allow some time in between so it has a chance to save the old session before loading the new one.

Oh, and Jonatan while I have your attention... is there way to have AUM respond to MSB and LSB as part of a program change message? I haven't been able to figure that out and if I pursue this more or less 1:1 song:session approach I suspect I'll ultimately need more than 128 patch/session addresses. Or is there another way to do that?

• @paddy said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    AUM always saves the current session state (to the "restore last state" file) when loading a new session, that way a user can "undo" a session load if he/she forgot there was unsaved changes etc.

Oh, and Jonatan while I have your attention... is there way to have AUM respond to MSB and LSB as part of a program change message? I haven't been able to figure that out and if I pursue this more or less 1:1 song:session approach I suspect I'll ultimately need more than 128 patch/session addresses. Or is there another way to do that?

Remember, you're just using a particular MIDI event to trigger a specific Session Load action in AUM. The sessions are not grouped in banks, and you're not selecting session m in bank n. So, you could use PC messages on different MIDI channels to access more different sessions. Or use Pitch Bend messages to select from 16384 possibilities. If BandHelper is limited to only certain messages, you could use a script in Mozaic or StreamByter to convert the messages.

• Oh, good idea. I hadn't thought of the pitch bend approach but 16384 should just about do it ;)
    The only potential snag there is I usually use streambyter as a plugin in the AUM session so not sure if there'll be a kind of bootstrap issue but worth a try. If so I suppose I could use it within MidiFire. Thanks

• The MIDI from your BandHelper app should be visible to AUM. You can load an instance of StreamByter, route the MIDI to it, and send the StreamByter output to AUM's Midi Control. Then you can map those messages to select the AUM sessions. But you would need that in every session. It might be easier in MidiFire, as you say.

• @uncledave said:
    The MIDI from your BandHelper app should be visible to AUM. You can load an instance of StreamByter, route the MIDI to it, and send the StreamByter output to AUM's Midi Control. Then you can map those messages to select the AUM sessions. But you would need that in every session. It might be easier in MidiFire, as you say.

Okay, Im confused now (again)... When I try to set up a pitch bend message to select a specific session in AUM there's no option to specify a value like there is for a PC or CC message. So how does one access those 16384 possibilities in a specific manner? I've not used PB like this in AUM before so I'm probably missing something basic.

FWIW BH has a raw MIDI field that can send just about anything anywhere so I'm assuming I should be able to make presets for AUM session changes that send EF XX XX (I use ch 16 for AUM control messages, XX XX will range from 00 00 to 3F FF mapped to the session in AUM if I can figure out how to set the specific PB message response.)

Thanks for any guidance.

• Yeah, sorry. I was a bit optimistic with that. Looks like you're stuck with PC on different MIDI channels. If BH lets you configure a different message for each song/preset, you wouldn't even need a conversion script.

• @uncledave said:
    Yeah, sorry. I was a bit optimistic with that. Looks like you're stuck with PC on different MIDI channels. If BH lets you configure a different message for each song/preset, you wouldn't even need a conversion script.

Well at least I'm not loosing my mind.

• edited April 2023

@paddy said:
    Thanks. So I'm only sending a single load command as a MIDI PC message, as set up in the MIDI Control settings. Is there a different way I should be doing that? Should I be sending some sort of clear command first then waiting? As I said the desired session still seems to load and the error message is so short lived before it disappears and the proper session loads that it took me several tries to coordinate a screenshot to actually even be able to capture and read it.

The message should only ever be shown if you send such a load command while it's currently loading or saving another project. Is this not the case here? If you load a session, then wait several seconds (just to make sure), then send a single load command, do you get such message? And if yes, are you 100% sure you're only sending a single command? (Check with a MIDI monitor)

• Could the same PC message be mapped to load two different sessions? Might that cause this apparent double session load?

• @uncledave said:
    Could the same PC message be mapped to load two different sessions? Might that cause this apparent double session load?

Whenever I assign a session a PC # and channel # that has already been used in AUM I always get a yellow warning shield.