Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Podcast instalment 3: Drum 80, Thermo, Fundamental, FRMS - The Loneliness Of Crowds

edited March 2023 in Creations

“I had melancholy thoughts...
a strangeness in my mind. A feeling that I was not for that hour,
 Nor for that place.” - Wordsworth, The Prelude

Poor Wordsworth. Cambridge, the subject of these lines from Book 3 of his great autobiographical poem, didn’t agree with him. That sense of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, the weirdness of being the outsider leading to ‘a strangeness in my mind.’… As someone not comfortable in the body I was born to, trust me when I say I really can relate….

The Germans have a word for it: ‘unheimlich’. It gets translated as ‘uncanny’, and it is, sort of, but it literally means ‘unhomely’, ‘un-home-like’, that sense that although everything looks and seems to be as it should, you are at home, but that home is actually - off - in some hard to grasp but disturbing way. Like someone broke in and licked all your furniture while you were out.

I should be stitching my podcast hour together but every time I sit down to do it, I end up adding a new bit to it instead.

Here, it was trying out the latest toy, Drum 80, https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/drum-80/id6444686683 sequenced by Rozeta Rhythm, that led me down this particular rabbit hole, via some field recordings, Thermo Synth, Fundamental, and Dials, to Wordsworth, and the particular not-at-home-ness that is loneliness in a crowd.

Er… enjoy?

At least there’s no AI vocals this time… ;)

Comments

• The sounds I am hearing is quite strange (in a nice way), and I am feeling your being alone, in the midst of so many people around you. Lovely, simply lovely.
    You can really emote the words you use, and it is very original - The Loneliness of Crowds.
    Very nicely done, @Svetlovska !!!

• This is intense and I could imagine it in an A24 film (I mean that as a high compliment).

Somehow It’s both expressive and muted.

• Another very evocative and slightly unsettling piece of musical art. Not that unheimlich but certainly unruhe.

• personally, for me I would have loved it without the kick drum, it doesnt seem to add anything to the great soundscape you have going.

• Thanks, all, for the listens and comments. @ReneAsologuitar : as ever, really appreciate your kind words. I can’t lay claim to the phrase the loneliness of crowds, mind. It comes from ‘The Lonely Crowd’, a famous 1950 sociological study about American suburban living by a guy called David Riesman.

@Proppa : Thank you! Compliment noted. They have distributed some of my favourite films of the last few years - Ex Machina, the sublime Under The Skin, The Witch, Green Room, Midsommar, to name but a few…

@jo2346: unruhe: restless/uneasy: I’ll take that! Thanks :)

@Syn: thanks for enjoying the soundscape, anyway :) For me, the point of foregrounding the heartbeat-ish bass thud was specifically, to borrow a phrase from Jo2346, to unsettle, to intrude on the otherwise dreamy, distanced soundscape with a sense of a frustrated listener to all that far away life going on, that they were not part of. It was there, in other words, specifically, to irritate. Seems like it achieved its’ aim. :)

Thanks for the listen and comment, mind. All feedback is good.

• Love how you drag us in, but keep us not exactly confortable, bus still... we can't just let go.
    And the hearbeat kickdrum adds some extra spice to it all :heart:

• If you are looking for unsettling, frustrated, irritated, let me give you my history with online dating,,,,,, :#

I love the way you explain ideas so well, please continue

@Syn: thanks for enjoying the soundscape, anyway :) For me, the point of foregrounding the heartbeat-ish bass thud was specifically, to borrow a phrase from Jo2346, to unsettle, to intrude on the otherwise dreamy, distanced soundscape with a sense of a frustrated listener to all that far away life going on, that they were not part of. It was there, in other words, specifically, to irritate. Seems like it achieved its’ aim. :)

Thanks for the listen and comment, mind. All feedback is good.

• edited March 2023

@Svetlovska love the midrangy fundamental, the faraway Thermo, the accented FRMS under glass and yes that fantastic Drum 80 presence to know you are alive. Great stuff!! also, i'm a bit new here - where's your podcast at?

• edited March 2023

@Syn : ‘let me give you my history with online dating’ - ha! :)

@citizenK : hi, and thanks! :) it’s not my podcast - I’ve been invited to contribute a hour of music to someone else’s. I’ll post the link when its up.

• I'm going in:

I'm in a large space with a lot of metallic surfaces and some tires on wet road noises.

Those high ringing sounds that could be brake drums screaming or machines with worn out bearings.

Pinging hammers on metallic resonant "anvils"

That wet tire sound but all over a layer of a chord soon displaced by another chord that comes to the fore as the prior chord recedes.

(Waiting for the bass drum... is that occasional thump it? Probably... my mind was expecting 4 on the floor 808). This "bass drum" fits the scene for me... car doors closing?
    Just a glimpse of a drummer playing in the scene with all those cars sounds and machinery.

Excellent sound design/coimposing to establish a place and put you solidly in it.

I'm out.

• edited March 2023

@McD: thank you. There’s no fooling you. You have an acute ear. You picked out quite a few of the original found sounds I put in there!

For some reason I have always found the sound of tyres on a wet road surface in the rain one of the most evocative but ineffable sounds the human world has to offer. I wish I knew why that was. I was told that my parents used to take me for drives as a baby to get me to sleep. Maybe a persistence of that…? Thanks again for your forensic attention :)

• @Svetlovska said:
    @McD: thank you. There’s no fooling you.

I wish that was true... I've played the fool on many occasions. I play the expert on the internet
    but true experts detect my true nature: sophos moronus. Or as Colbert calls us: fundits.

• Nice soundscape. I can hear the sounds of the crowds in the city - almost overwhelming but kept at bay by the thud of blood pumping in my ears.

• Beautiful evocative composition. I am thinking of Kandinsky, waking up in the middle of the night, walking to his easel and painting this. I can hear the cannons in the background. Nice.