Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - March 2023

2»

Comments

• @GeoTony said:
    You made the mistake last month Richard (and @BillS I think) of asking for something…so here it is!
    Not sure it’s a valid entry, it’s not a song, has no vocals and I couldn’t repeat it if I tried but I was pleased with it.
    I’m sat here without any heating, boiler has blown up, so needed something to stop my hands from freezing up 🥶

Very quickly thrown together track…
    Loaded Piano Motifs, pressed generate and took the first motif that came along.
    Used that to play Ravenscroft 275 through FAC Alteza, Spirangle and Velvet Machine (all on initial presets)
    Loaded GeoShred Gong Lead preset, had a 30 second familiarisation with the motif and then just went for it, mistakes and all 🤨

You have to practice to be any good at playing GeoShred and it’s obvious to me you’ve done exactly that. I loved watching where your fingers went and of course that tone - love the feedback which sounds so natural. This was an absolute pleasure to listen to. Great point made by Richard about the amount of notes and I’ve been “guilty” of that myself, many times. But actually, until I read that comment it hadn’t occurred to me and I just loved it. The app has the word shred in it for a reason!

• Thanks @BillS , I appreciate both viewpoints and the feedback 👍

• @GeoTony said:
    Cheers Richard, I appreciate any comments as I still very much class myself as a beginner… your absolutely right, I put too many notes in because basically I can 😊 but I know the end result is not as musical as I could make it. I love Knopfler so know exactly what you mean about space. Many thanks.

You definitely don’t sound like a beginner, your sense of timing is rock solid, and technically your playing is very strong.

• @richardyot thank you ! I recorded the vocals right after writing the lyrics and avoided rehearsal to keep as raw as possible.

@ReneAsologuitar thank you so much for all your kind words!

@wired2moon @cuscolima thank you for listening. I keep hearing the Thom Yorke reference for this track. Could have been worse 😜

@BillS thank you for all the nice comments. I agree this is not the kind of track you want to play in the middle of a party unless you want to get everyone to go back home 🤣

@GeoTony thank you !

I was away from home this month, back now and busy with work but will take the time to listen to all your tracks and comment !

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month (which I also recently posted in Creations), which includes a couple of female vocalists that I hired on Fiverr to sing (they are called Iseult and Pauline Mykell, you can find them both on Spotify). My voice is also in there somewhere, but it's quite far back in the mix :)

Lyrics in the spoiler:

A broken dream, a broken world
    Well I think I know how this unfurls
    My broken dream, in your hand
    Scattered pieces all around

So this is how our hearts are broken
    This is what the wounded say
    This is what was left unspoken
    This is why the faithful pray

An ugly scene, and ugly words
    And all the lies we overheard
    And so it seems, we understand
    We’re arguing on sinking sand

So this is how our hearts are broken
    This is what the wounded say
    This is what was left unspoken
    This is why the faithful pray

I think I already commented on the thread. Nothing much to say, the track is wonderful. I love the lyrics, the general ambience. And the female backing vocals get you even more in the dream pop / shoegaze realm

• @martinsa82 said:
    track for this month I just finnished this afternoon

Great track. The atmosphere here gets me close to some tracks from Patrick Watson. Your pieces are calling for vocals ! Nicely done !

• @DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on two MIDI keyboards connected to an iPad.

I used Bome Network software to send the iPad's MIDI notes to Bitwig Studio running on a desktop PC. There the MIDI was routed to Solo for the singing voice and Omnisphere for the background instruments.

After bringing the audio recording into Vegas Pro, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix.

It's titled Portal.

As usual with your productions, very cinematic and contemplative piece. Especially love how the voice blends with the instrumental swells on this one, very soothing ! Great job

• @wired2moon said:
    I might be breaking a rule here (pls let me know @richardyot ) as posted similar piece in Creations. However I’d like to support the monthly thread plus I just did a new, slightly different take for Soundcloud (previous one is a Youtube video).

Anyhoo it’s a semi-generative ambient effort
    100% on iPad, many apps involved but AUM, LK Matrix, ChordPolyPad and StepPolyArp are at the heart of it. It has rain and CS80-style brass for a Vangelis vibe in places :)

Hoping to build out the Starship Relic catalogue over time.

Very nice ancient track. May I ask the origin of the Japanese females speach? I'd like to hear the Apple song !

• @BillS said:
    A much simpler arrangement from me this month. This is the story of an asylum seeker who spent more than two decades sleeping on the night buses that criss-cross London, before eventually being given leave to remain in the UK.

Wind penetrates the beaten greatcoat
    Patiently waiting, cold winter biting
    Legs are weary, he stands firm
    Routemaster lunges to a halt

Wing mirror clips overhung branches
    Greets the driver with a gentle bow
    Weathered Oyster card in his hand
    Settles in for the ride ahead

Clutching a bag into his stomach
    Wrinkled hands start to thaw
    Eyes start to close, mind is drifting
    To another time, his younger self

Night rider for 21 years
    Asylum rejected, a sixth sense of danger
    All take your seats on the N29
    And dare to dream of a brighter life

Kneeling and praying, waiting for the guard
    Lifted to his feet, silent corridors
    Blinding sunlight, a car was waiting
    He’d dare to dream, of a brighter future
    Jerked back to now, a drunken scrum
    Tuneless singing trailing to the upper deck
    Heading home, cramming in fast food, while
    Foreigners scramble to pre-dawn cleaning jobs

Christmas night shelters and scattered churches
    Daytime exodus, the walking dead
    Beating the curfew has taken its toll
    Old knees are creaking but his heart remains young

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders/nightrider

Very nice track and heartfelt lyrics! Your singing stands somewhere between Neil Hannon and Mike Scott ! Sounds great!
    I wish I could hear Shane McGowan and The Pogues cover this !

• @JanKun said:

@martinsa82 said:
    track for this month I just finnished this afternoon

Great track. The atmosphere here gets me close to some tracks from Patrick Watson. Your pieces are calling for vocals ! Nicely done !

thank you! yes you are probably right, I havent recorded my voice since my youth when I was the singer in our local garage death/trash metal band :smiley:

• @JanKun I must have subliminally influenced as I had to google Mike Scott and Neil Hannon! Thank you so much for listening 😀

• @wired2moon said:
    Curious about ‘Solo’ - those operatic vocals are really effective. That’s a desktop program I guess (thus out of bounds for me :'( )

@BillS said:
    I too think the operatic voices sound great and I might have to investigate Solo myself. All your pieces are beautifully put together and presented.

Yes, it is a desktop plug-in: https://www.audioimperia.com/collections/all/products/solo-made-for-kontakt-player. I'm using it within Bitwig Studio on a PC.

I was able to purchase it when it was on sale through Native Instruments.

• @richardyot
    Wow, this is so different. And it’s not just that you’ve added female singers. It seems to hang in the air like an ethereal Julee Cruise song from Twin Peaks. Love the new direction. Bravo!

@JanKun
    This one is incredibly involving. I think that’s because you’re willing to peel back the outer layers and bare the soul beneath. Around the 1:00 mark, I love how it suddenly turns shrill and eerie, as though in peeling back your defenses, you’ve become more vulnerable. It’s also quite wonderful how you’re able to resolve these tensions musically at the end. The conflicts seem to swirl and drift up somehow into a vapor.

@martinsa82
    It’s inspiring how you’re able to intertwine melody and repetition. It never drifts too far in either direction. You’re always firmly grounded, no matter how far you temporarily explore in any direction. I also like how you instinctively slow down in places in order to relaunch for a new sub-flight.

@wired2moon
    Very spacelike and richly evocative. Just the right balance between ambient suspension and narrative movement. Feels like the movie soundtrack for a forgotten, lost, or yet-to-be-developed sci-fi film.

@BillS
    A fine song in the time-honored tradition of workingman ballads. You have a real knack for taking ordinary details of life and transforming those details – by adding context, meaning, and epic grandeur.

@cuscolima
    This one has a nice bubbly feel. I really like how you spice it up with sonic surprises. Around the 2:00 mark, it switches gears in a way that livens things up effectively. The title is apt, as well. It seems like a blend of life elements.

@GeoTony
    I’m still amazed how well you’re able to connect with GeoShred. At this point, it seems to be fully intuitive. Not sure where the Geo ends and the Tony begins (or is it the other way around?). The sound and the melody are both terrific on this one. You’ve got a great feel now for subtle notes bends and overtones.

• @richardyot this was very good, good production, nice work with all the vocals and background vocals. Dark mood in the track, great vocal melody, fits the overall soundscape 👍

@JanKun ohh this was a bit ”radiohead” feeling in this, the vocals are perfect! very professional and artistic

@DavidEnglish ,very calming, good production, the voice is floating perfectly on the other sounds

@wired2moon great work on only ipad, great soundscape, great sounds

@BillS more simple arrangement but effective! as always love the prog feeling in your music, I like the chorus vocalmelody gives a great contrast to the verse

@cuscolima this was interesting and complex, i like the music best, vocals are a bit hard to digest maybe, the piano chords in the background is very effective to give the music some punch now and then, nice with something very different