Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Forced to use iOS - and a special shout out to Cubasis and Scaler 2

I am fortunate to have a decent acoustically treated home studio, a modern PC, good guitars, and a zillion VST plugins. I’ve used this space to make recordings and albums for years and these days I generally get results I’m reasonably pleased with.

Due to family circumstances I am away from this space for a few months and I have been ‘forced’ to record a song using only an iPad. This is the first time I’ve completed a traditional ‘song’ that I’m happy with in this environment, with zero help from my normal space and those fancy toys. So, no Studio One desktop DAW, no acoustic treatment, no Melodyne, EZ Drummer, Ozone mastering, no bass guitar, or my nice six strings, and using monitors that cost less than £100.

Disregarding the technical differences for a moment, for this song, for the first time ever, I used Scaler 2's modulation tab so I could have different song parts in different keys but be able to move from one key to another without it sounding awkward - what an eye opener that is! This song has 10 underlying chords, namely A Am Bb C Dm Eb Em F Gm and G. I'd never have gone anywhere near that with my almost non existent theory knowledge.

Back on the iPad I think that Cubasis's inbuilt EQ and reverb are very good. My 'bass guitar' for this song was the inbuilt Microsonic SVT bass sound, again I think sounds great. Kudos to Cubasis - it was rock solid with zero issues throughout. A cheap electric guitar went through the free Nembrini Crunk amp sim and their free Minotaur pedal. I managed to make a drum track with Digistix, and with more patience it could have been better. I did have access to a decent mic (Aston Origin) and a Focusrite 2i2 interface.

I don’t think I would put the track on my next album as it is, and I’ll probably redo quite a lot when I am back in my studio. But I’m still chuffed to have got this far on iOS.

https://on.soundcloud.com/trNWm

Comments

• The song is marked private and doesn't look like I can give it a "thumbs up" on SoundCloud, so I did the next best thing and gave you a follow. I really love what you did! Forget Melodyne. Your voice sounds perfect as-is. And you definitely made me put Digistix on my list of apps to purchase this month.

That said, give my regards to your family and to yourself mate. I hope everyone will be okay and will pull through. If you ever need a friend to talk to, I'm always a private message away. Cheers mate.

• edited March 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The song is marked private and doesn't look like I can give it a "thumbs up" on SoundCloud, so I did the next best thing and gave you a follow. I really love what you did! Forget Melodyne. Your voice sounds perfect as-is. And you definitely made me put Digistix on my list of apps to purchase this month.

That said, give my regards to your family and to yourself mate. I hope everyone will be okay and will pull through. If you ever need a friend to talk to, I'm always a private message away. Cheers mate.

Thanks so much for your kind words. Changed it to public now and followed you back. Best wishes to you too

• @BillS said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The song is marked private and doesn't look like I can give it a "thumbs up" on SoundCloud, so I did the next best thing and gave you a follow. I really love what you did! Forget Melodyne. Your voice sounds perfect as-is. And you definitely made me put Digistix on my list of apps to purchase this month.

Thanks so much for your kind words. Changed it to public now and followed you back. Best wishes to you too

Thanks mate. :) Going to give it a like now!