Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best app choice for midi instruments

I'm looking for an iOS app that I can use with a midi keyboard. The app needs to have good orchestral percussion samples, specifically Chimes and Vibraphone. The rig would be M-Audio keyboard to USB camera connected to iPad/iPhone.
Anyone have any app recommendations? The few I've found don't include Chimes (tubular bells) samples.

I'm trying to create an on-the-go scenario for my normal desktop setup, which would be keyboard through ProTools using XPand, which has a limitless sound set. I have a performance situation, however, that would be much more convenient if I could run the keyboard through a small device.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• A Soundfont solution might be your best bet...bs-16i and Soundfont Pro are good possibilities. ThumbJam might also do the trick.

• My choice without a doubt would be Xewton Music Studio. It has the whole Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra library (which includes chimes) built in. In addition the 'instruments and kits' section of their forum (http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/) contains a lot of good sounding user made instruments, including a high quality vibraphone. Check out this video which shows some of the Sonatina instruments that come with Music Studio:

As I'm a big fan of Music Studio and regularly create and upload new instruments to the Music Studio Forum. I prefer using an app that has great built in sounds, without having to take recourse to audiobus or iaa. This allows for a much faster workflow. Music Studio got updated recently and has a greatly improved effects section. A negative note is that the reverb and delay of Music Studio are pretty mediocre sounding. However, the developer has planned an update that will bring iaa effects. This way you can use 3rd party effects apps like Kymatica's Space and Dub (two of my favourite effects apps) and that way use way better effects in Music Studio. I don't think you will be disappointed.

For those who use Music Studio to record audio, there is an update planned that brings the ability to record multiple audio files to one track.

Maarten

• Sampletank with the Miroslav Philharmonik pack (in-app purchase) may work for you. There is a free version you can try: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id464775965?mt=8

Just be aware it's rather hefty at 1 GB.

• This is fantastic information, thank you both, so much! I had seen the Music Studio app, but was not sure if it contained the sound sets I was looking for.

Thanks, again!

• The iOS version of Sampletank, even with the Philharmonic add-on does not contain tubular bells, sadly. I spoke directly with IK yesterday and it's only included on Mac version. Thanks for the rec, though!

• For those who use Music Studio to record audio, there is an update planned that brings the ability to record multiple audio files to one track.

Looking forward to this.

• @ndelson

Actually the ios Miroslav Philharmonic does indeed offer Tubular Bells. All Ipad, I don't own the desktop version. I don't know why you were misinformed by IK?

You can download SampleTank for free and purchase the MP bundle for $20... Or wait until it goes on sale for $10