Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tera Pro newbie

2»

Comments

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    @uncledave I was thinking the same (which clearly, it is), but it is described as a modular synth:

“128 voice Modular polyphonic Synthesiser” “Modular Analog/Digital Polysynth” “TERA PRO - THE MODULAR POLYSYNTH” “Modular polyphonic synthesizer with free wiring between modules.”

The word “semi” is not used anywhere in the description or manual.

I was thinking the same to describe it that way to those who were confused by the architecture, but couldn’t find “semi” anywhere.

I agree. I guess hardware semi-modulars, like the ARP 2600, have normalled default connections, as well as patching. So having completely free patching makes it more modular. Also, Model 15 is described as modular, so that is consistent with Tera Pro. We may be splitting hairs here. Users just need to be aware that you cannot add modules, only use those already defined.

• @uncledave said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    @uncledave I was thinking the same (which clearly, it is), but it is described as a modular synth:

“128 voice Modular polyphonic Synthesiser” “Modular Analog/Digital Polysynth” “TERA PRO - THE MODULAR POLYSYNTH” “Modular polyphonic synthesizer with free wiring between modules.”

The word “semi” is not used anywhere in the description or manual.

I was thinking the same to describe it that way to those who were confused by the architecture, but couldn’t find “semi” anywhere.

I agree. I guess hardware semi-modulars, like the ARP 2600, have normalled default connections, as well as patching. So having completely free patching makes it more modular. Also, Model 15 is described as modular, so that is consistent with Tera Pro. We may be splitting hairs here. Users just need to be aware that you cannot add modules, only use those already defined.

Right, we can’t go crazy and add 10 mixers or amps 😂
    I appreciate the developer doing something different. It allows us to take a slightly different starting approach to synthesis, and some people will learn better this way.

• The architecture is confusing in other ways too, because in the Mixer, you can only have certain combinations. For example, there are four inputs, but you can't stack 4 standard oscillators, since only 3 standard oac are available. There are only two wavetable oscillators and only 1 Brainz, so you can't use more than 1 Brainz or more wavetable oscillators. It should be a bit more modular in this way.

• @auxmux said:
    The architecture is confusing in other ways too, because in the Mixer, you can only have certain combinations. For example, there are four inputs, but you can't stack 4 standard oscillators, since only 3 standard oac are available. There are only two wavetable oscillators and only 1 Brainz, so you can't use more than 1 Brainz or more wavetable oscillators. It should be a bit more modular in this way.

Yeah, that aspect does seem strange, is there any good reason for those limitations @VirSyn Harry?

• I think a lot of these misunderstandings are resolved when you spend a solid few sessions experimenting. It’s definitely a bit different to your average synth, but that’s a benefit.

At the beginning i couldn’t understand which attenuators and mod source was connected to which target (for example the 3 that can affect filter cutoff). But then I realised that once you clicked the source to select it, you could see the target mentioned at the top of the menu. The new Brainz Module actually lists the mod target in the UI, which is even more helpful

• @auxmux said:
    The architecture is confusing in other ways too, because in the Mixer, you can only have certain combinations. For example, there are four inputs, but you can't stack 4 standard oscillators, since only 3 standard oac are available. There are only two wavetable oscillators and only 1 Brainz, so you can't use more than 1 Brainz or more wavetable oscillators. It should be a bit more modular in this way.

I guess that this is needed, in addition to other requirements, to expose AU parameters directly, otherwise the synth would need an arbitrary number/dynamic set of params or solutions like macro knobs.

• @auxmux said:

I'm only guessing, but this may have something to do with processing limitations. IMO the sound quality of this app is the best I've come across on iOS. In want of better words there seems to be high resolution / definition other synth apps don't have and this is probably expensive on resources. I'd hate to see quality compromised for quantity i.e. sound quality compromised for the sake of being able to add more oscillators nd other modules. BTW You forgot to mention the formant oscillator, hardly a standard oscillator. If you can't get big sounds you're pleased with on TP as is (with two wavetable oscillators, which can FM each other, Brainz and a couple of formant oscillators in one instance), you need to try harder! >:)

OTOH, I agree TP should be described as semi-modular. If you want to build random self-generating patches on iOS, MiRack (or perhaps Audulous - haven't tried it) is a much better option (but again in my IMO sonically inferior to TP).

• @ElectroHead said:
    OTOH, I agree TP should be described as semi-modular.

Yep, agreed. This is why I spent time trying to place what I wanted wherever I wanted and and just reached a point where it made no sense as there was no way to do it that I could find.

• @Ailerom said:

@ElectroHead said:
    OTOH, I agree TP should be described as semi-modular.

Yep, agreed. This is why I spent time trying to place what I wanted wherever I wanted and and just reached a point where it made no sense as there was no way to do it that I could find.

Fair enough. But there is no "where" in Tera Pro. It's not like Drambo with its left-to-right signal flow. You're patching a modular synth, similar to Model 15, with essentially random connectivity. You cannot see the wires, but each module input shows the name of its source.

• edited March 2023

Strange behavior of Tera pro. The light bulb on the modules is too bright and does not fully open as IAA (for recording from its keyboard-it seems convenient to me).

• @solncekreeze. Could you please post screenshots instead of photos?

What device and iOS version are you using?

What do you mean by the "light bulb on the modules"?

Are you requesting that the app should implement a MIDI keyboard that can send to another app?

• @uncledave said:
    @solncekreeze. Could you please post screenshots instead of photos?

Are you requesting that the app should implement a MIDI keyboard that can send to another app?

I attached screenshots (the light bulbs needed to be photographed in time). I have ipad os 16.3.1, ipad 12.9 2021. As a midi generator, the Tera Pro keyboard is not needed. You just need the opportunity to play it in Tera Pro itself (even in IAA) for recording.

• @solncekreeze said:

@uncledave said:
    @solncekreeze. Could you please post screenshots instead of photos?

I attached screenshots (the light bulbs needed to be photographed in time). I have ipad os 16.3.1, ipad 12.9 2021. As a midi generator, the Tera Pro keyboard is not needed. You just need the opportunity to play it in Tera Pro itself (even in IAA) for recording.

Try starting Tera Pro first, then connect it to AUM (instead of starting it from AUM). Many apps display confused graphics when started by a host, since iPadOS 16.2. TP seems to lose its top border when started from AUM.

I guess the light bulbs are the flickering dots showing the modulation. I don't see this, but it may depend on the specific modulation. See if starting the app separately helps.

In order to record the keyboard in another app, it would need to transmit a MIDI stream. So that would be a feature request. A solution might be to use a keyboard app (KB-1) in AUM. You could record it and play TP at the same time.

• @VirSyn . When a patch uses modulation by LFO1*EG2, it is not possible to view the EG2 directly. Long press on the modulator input only opens the LFO. A clumsy work-around is to add ADSR2 somewhere, and open it from there. An example is the Filter Cutoff in 003 Metaphasic Lead (sum), as shown. Would it be possible to open both modulators, or offer a choice?

(Note: in Markdown, you can precede a special character, like *, with a backslash to make it appear normally!)

• Another problem about starting IAA in AUM is that the switch to AUM button does not work. This menu appears at the top, but it doesn't work.
    I use KB-1, but I wonder why the developers do not provide the opportunity to fully use the built-in keyboards. Including keyboards in MPE programs is either inconvenient to use them, or it is not possible at all. Then the question is why are they needed? Samplewiz, Tera Pro... You can list further.

• I also don't quite understand why many devs don't give an option to display the mpe keyboard in the Auv3 version of the app. It should definitely be available as a choice, though it should definitely also be possible to see just the synth part, no keyboard. Auv3 instruments that display their keyboard by default with no option to get rid of it are equally annoying.

@VirSyn do you think we could get an optional mpe keyboard in the Auv3 for all your mpe synths, but maybe prioritising Tera Pro?

• @Gavinski said:

@VirSyn do you think we could get an optional mpe keyboard in the Auv3 for all your mpe synths, but maybe prioritising Tera Pro?

I have a better suggestion that would probably give @VirSyn a few extra sales :sunglasses:

What about 'reviving' the classic Arpeggist?
    Call it Arpeggist Pro, add step-note entry/recording using a customizable MPE keyboard etc?
    It could even serve as a MPE looper with a couple of sequencer lanes.

Arpeggist is one of those apps that could also do well as a Midi AUv3 and with its advanced arpeggiator feeding multiple instruments.

• edited March 2023

It’s> @Gavinski said:

I also don't quite understand why many devs don't give an option to display the mpe keyboard in the Auv3 version of the app. It should definitely be available as a choice, though it should definitely also be possible to see just the synth part, no keyboard. Auv3 instruments that display their keyboard by default with no option to get rid of it are equally annoying.

I’m still crying for full mpe in ppg infinite auv3. Often it’s can make wonderful noises when you just sliding up and down few notes. But only in standalone, so every time I heed to setup external stuff which feels unconventional. Maybe most of devs see synth with mpe as a solo instrument which utilizes all screen space? I don’t know. Anyway it’s an interesting topic.

• @Gavinski said:
    I also don't quite understand why many devs don't give an option to display the mpe keyboard in the Auv3 version of the app. It should definitely be available as a choice, though it should definitely also be possible to see just the synth part, no keyboard. Auv3 instruments that display their keyboard by default with no option to get rid of it are equally annoying.

It would be great to be able to choose. If you like KB-1, use it. But keyboards created for a synthesizer sometimes look more preferable from the point of view of tuning for a specific instrument. It is important. And convenient.

• @solncekreeze said:
    Another problem about starting IAA in AUM is that the switch to AUM button does not work. This menu appears at the top, but it doesn't work.
    I use KB-1, but I wonder why the developers do not provide the opportunity to fully use the built-in keyboards. Including keyboards in MPE programs is either inconvenient to use them, or it is not possible at all. Then the question is why are they needed? Samplewiz, Tera Pro... You can list further.

It looks like the size of the modulation dots increases with the amplitude of the modulation. When you saw them spilling out, you may have generated a very large modulation signal.

The IAA menu seems to be created by the app, so @VirSyn might want to take a look at that.

• @uncledave said:

@solncekreeze said:
    Another problem about starting IAA in AUM is that the switch to AUM button does not work. This menu appears at the top, but it doesn't work.

It looks like the size of the modulation dots increases with the amplitude of the modulation. When you saw them spilling out, you may have generated a very large modulation signal.

The IAA menu seems to be created by the app, so @VirSyn might want to take a look at that.

Right. When the LFO modulation (for example, Aftertouch) increases, the flashes overlap the square outside the icons with the names. I think that this and the situation with the AUM window will be corrected.

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:

I have a better suggestion that would probably give @VirSyn a few extra sales :sunglasses:

What about 'reviving' the classic Arpeggist?
    Call it Arpeggist Pro, add step-note entry/recording using a customizable MPE keyboard etc?
    It could even serve as a MPE looper with a couple of sequencer lanes.

Arpeggist is one of those apps that could also do well as a Midi AUv3 and with its advanced arpeggiator feeding multiple instruments.

Yes to this!

• @Gavinski said:

@Samu said:

Yes to this!

+1!

• TP crashed if the Waves modulations go to extreme values. And whether All Notes will be Off in auv3. Some presets continue to sound when the sustain is turned on when it is turned off.