Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do my eyes deceive me?: Venus Theory, MidiDREAMs, Dials, Tomofon: Ganzfeld Effect

edited February 2023 in Creations

“Ganzfeld: imposing a uniform space over the entire visual field. By altering your sense of sight you deprive your brain of sensory input. It begins to improvise. This may produce disturbing hallucinations. This is known as the Ganzfeld Effect. Ganzfeld Experiments: Some researchers also believe placing a subject into sensory deprivation in this way enables extra sensory perception.”

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Another slice of podcast-set-in-the-making. Lead instrument here, the big bass strings, is Venus Theory’s excellent free Decent Sampler Dulcimer-based pack called SubFrost (Free Ed), the ‘Bowed String’ preset. After my frustrations the other day with the IAA only Quantum, I snapped and got Art Kerns’ MidiDREAMs simpler but crucially AUV3-compatible analog-style sequencer, which is on the case here. Tomofon on spooky voices, VHS Synth on sample and hold-ish background, and Dials all over the show, but mainly on live mix to AudioShare mixdown. All the new toys! :)

Comments

• Whoa, nice!

• @Svetlovska said:
    “Ganzfeld: imposing a uniform space over the entire visual field. By altering your sense of sight you deprive your brain of sensory input. It begins to improvise. This may produce disturbing hallucinations. This is known as the Ganzfeld Effect. Ganzfeld Experiments: Some researchers also believe placing a subject into sensory deprivation in this way enables extra sensory perception.”

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Another slice of podcast-set-in-the-making. Lead instrument here, the big bass strings, is Venus Theory’s excellent free Decent Sampler Dulcimer pack, the ‘Bowed String’ preset. After my frustrations the other day with the IAA only Quantum, I snapped and got Art Kerns’ MidiDREAMs simpler but crucially AUV3-compatible analog-style sequencer, which is on the case here. Tomofon on spooky voices, VHS Synth on sample and hold-ish background, and Dials all over the show, but mainly on live mix to AudioShare mixdown. All the new toys! :)

Very interesting - is that pack called Dulcimer? Thought I had all the free Venus Theory packs.

BTW, he no longer has his stuff on Pianobook, removed it in protest at the recent Spitfire drama.

• edited February 2023

@lasselu : Thank you! :)

@Gavinski : it’s called Subfrost (Free Ed). Yes, I knew about him taking his stuff off Pianobook due to Christian Henson’s anti Trans views. Red Means Recording has made an excellent video on it setting out the issues:

Needless to say, I’m totally with his stance. It’s a great pity. Pianobook is/was a great resource, and I felt nothing but positive vibes towards Christian Henson, was subbed to the channel, used several of the excellent Labs products, and Pianobook stuff, obviously. Until he went batshit over trans…

So it felt like suddenly getting kicked by a favourite uncle. He either assumed he had no trans customers/followers or just didn’t give a sh*t when he decided to weigh in. His silence since has been both deafening, and speaking volumes.

I tried to engage with him via his channel, but several of my (polite, non confrontational) questions have been deleted without comment, and others downvoted to oblivion by the horde of whataboutery trolls who seem now to dominate the chat there. Whatever else were his intentions, he has now turned the comments section of his own YouTube channel into a space which is not safe for Trans. I won’t be going back there.

I presume he thinks if he sticks his fingers in his ears and goes ‘lalala’ it will all eventually go away without him having to address what he said, or why he said it. Sadly, Pianobook is such a great resource that he may well be right.

I frankly have no idea why late middle aged cis men like him and Graham Linehan feel so threatened by the vanishingly small number of trans people actually out in the world that they feel the need to row themselves into the toxic mess that is the trans ‘debate’ at all. Mansplaining? Manspreading? (For the record, I am not a ‘debate’. Just a person trying to live my life.)

Sigh.

• Yeah it's all turned into a bit of a sorry mess and been highly divisive.

Subfrost...hmm how have I not heard of this. Cheers Irena!

• I have been waiting for a Decent Sampler pack to purchase since it’s given me so much for free.
    This Venus Theory SubFrost has 10 “clear” Dulcimer samples for $15. I hit purchase after getting the free
    Version… it’s a wonderful set of pads with innovative controls that show a almost 20 fix choices in the reverb/delay family
    And 5 types of amps for saturations… I did hear big differences but the presets are gold for free.

I’ll comment on my $15 extras after I get a play.

• @McD said:
    I have been waiting for a Decent Sampler pack to purchase since it’s given me so much for free.
    This Venus Theory SubFrost has 10 “clear” Dulcimer samples for $15. I hit purchase after getting the free
    Version… it’s a wonderful set of pads with innovative controls that show a almost 20 fix choices in the reverb/delay family
    And 5 types of amps for saturations… I did hear big differences but the presets are gold for free.

I’ll comment on my $15 extras after I get a play.

That would be useful, these Venus Theory libraries are usually very interesting. I have a few of them in paid format. If you are his patron (not sure if you need to be on the 10 bucks tier or whether the 5 bucks one is enough) you can get the paid packs half price. Some cost as much as 30 bucks full price so that's a pretty good deal. Plus then you get to download all his free stuff for patrons only, some of it is pretty good.

• When will people ever learn to mind their own fucking business? Answer: Never. We are a terribly flawed species.

I liked this track.

• @Svetlovska : this is terrific. I would love to see a movie or show for which this would be the soundtrack.

• Nice array of apps used in a very constructive way to produce an interesting soundscape.

• Very awesome track, thank you !!

• Great Track!

• All the new toys put to very good use - this is superb 👍

• @LinearLineman : thank you, and thank you. Your observation, and your liking, both mean a lot. :)
    @espiegel123 : So would I! :)
    @AlterEgo_UK @Syn @Pxlhg: thanks all for the listens, and the comments. Much appreciated.
    @wired2moon : I make it an iron rule - if I buy an app, I have to use it in a track immediately, even if I only ever use it that one time. I think all the ones used here will get run out more often than that, mind. I admit I was pleased how this one turned out.

I’m gradually inching my way to the one hour for the podcast, very tense live-mixing the material straight from AUM File Players into AudioShare, and I keep screwing up and having to do it again. Still, I’ll get there…

• @Svetlovska said:
    @LinearLineman : thank you, and thank you. Your observation, and your liking, both mean a lot. :)
    @espiegel123 : So would I! :)
    @AlterEgo_UK @Syn @Pxlhg: thanks all for the listens, and the comments. Much appreciated.
    @wired2moon : I make it an iron rule - if I buy an app, I have to use it in a track immediately, even if I only ever use it that one time. I think all the ones used here will get run out more often than that, mind. I admit I was pleased how this one turned out.

I’m gradually inching my way to the one hour for the podcast, very tense live-mixing the material straight from AUM File Players into AudioShare, and I keep screwing up and having to do it again. Still, I’ll get there…

Have you tried ferrite? That seems to be the best app for podcast editing we have, according to some threads here

• @Gavinski : Hi, yes, I’ve got it, and I could also do it just by laying up and cross fading the wavs in Multitrack DAW or Audio Evolution, both of which I also have, but that would be too easy! :) I’m deliberately trying to use the live recording session as a rehearsal for performance as well, getting into interactively cross fading, dropping in textural ‘glue’ noises like the Kaiju roars and such, messing with the ‘DJ’ eq… trying to learn a different vocabulary than my usual iterative random process.

• This seems to me to have an almost dreamlike quality. Appropriate considering your concept of the Ganzfeld effect that it has an hallucinatory type feeling. Now if I could just get that extra sensory perception bit. Although, given how certain noises set me on edge I have to wonder if the typical flotsam of the general public’s thoughts wouldn’t drive me absolutely insane.
    You are going to make a full fledged ambient fan of me yet.

• Lovely sonorous sounds, when is your podcast by the way?

• @MadeofWax : thank you! :) @GeoTony : still working on it, I’ll post the link when it is up.