Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Riding The Schwarzschild Radius

With apologies to the late, great, Iain M. Banks…

The eccentric culture ship 'Couldn’t give a Shit' barrelled out of hyperspace into a particularly elegant double Kaltbach manoeuvre before settling into an orbit about half a million klicks from the Schwarzschild radius of the super massive blackhole Querac.

Hoping to have impressed some of her fellow ships with her dexterity, she was disappointed to find no signs of Ship Minds in the same Galactic quadrant but undeterred and having time to kill she decided to ‘ride the radius’.

This was not without its dangers, even to an ex Rapid Offensive Unit such as herself. She knew that over the last couple of thousand years, a few of the ships that she had known well, admittedly only LCUs or LOUs, had not physically survived similar escapades. Obviously their Minds were backed up but the physical loss of a ship was something that most in the culture still regretted.

Checking that her Gravitic drive was a-ok she dropped down to the radius, the exotic spherical shell at which matter either lived or died, at the whim of the mind numbing forces of the singularity at the centre of the black hole. As a final extravagance she composed some suitable music and piped it through her empty cubic kilometres of hull.

But, after a few minutes of cosmic contemplation and peace, boredom set in… it was all too easy!

So after pondering what to do for a while, a period of time which to the outside observer would have appeared infinitesimally small, she decided to visit the semi sentient carbon based life forms she had visited when last in this region of this particular spiral galaxy.

In the 1940’s (Local Planet Time) they had nearly wiped themselves out. Smiling to herself, she was sure that now, more than 70 LPT years later they would have evolved to peacefully coexist…

Art by AI…

Comments

• Excellent artwork!
    This is superb work, Tony, very ethereal and infinitesimally huge, simply magnificent!!!
    Your creativity and musicality is on full display, and I love this recording.
    You are an artist, @GeoTony !!!
    Respectfully,
    Rene

• Suitably cosmic, I loves me some Banks too , at some point someone will be brave or foolish enough to attempt filmed versions of something culture based…

• May the Schwartz Be With You

Nice creation @GeoTony. I’d love to hear how you built this: apps, process, etc.

• Love the writing, love the music. :) Feeling that cosmic timelessness.

In other news, I keep meaning to give the Culture books a go…

• Wonderful, and loved the backstory, would also like to hear about 'the making of'...

• Many thanks @ReneAsologuitar , @Krupa , @McD , @Svetlovska and @belldu.
    Totally agree Krupa, I guess we waited long enough for a decent version of Dune so it’s not totally out of the question.
    Cheers Svetlovska and thanks for the other comment. I’m sure you would like the books. To me it’s a great vision of how an advanced civilisation could evolve to actually enjoys themselves and (in general) do good while not being afraid to make difficult decisions. Humour and darkness in equal measure. Also, interestingly gender fluidity is the norm in the books with most culture citizens changing sex at least once in their 400 year life span.

Making of is relatively simple…
    Source is one instance of 4Pockets Euclidean sequencer, starting off in B Minor and then manually switched to a second pattern in E Major.
    Port 1 is playing 2 * Roli Noise and DRC, Port 2 is playing MU Waverley and Ravenscoft via ChordJam, Port 3 Noise and Waverley, Port 4 2 * Roli Noise
    Volume for each port raised manually, the final one being Ravenscoft. Also manually changed the octaves in ChordJam.
    Effects Flux Mini 2, MUnFilter, Spirangle, FAV Alteza, TB Reverb, Pitch Drift, MixBox and Velvet Machine.

• Thanks for the breakdown of apps and process…

All your work deserves videos to show the tools but after uploading a video and seeing it would take 11 hours to finish I was shocked. YouTube must have busy hours I guess. It only took about 45 minutes but I’m used to a few minutes.

Still, you are a master of IOS as a platform and I love seeing how you put these apps into play.

@thesoundtestroom did a live video that showed how he uses Loopy Pro as a multi-track deck to take one synth and make tracks… the synth was the amazing Tera Pro with the IAP BrainZ pack which can be picked up with a discount on the Tera Pro purchase at $10 for a time.

• Really nice! A very evocative soundtrack.

• You’re too kind @McD . I still think of myself as a beginner especially compared with a lot of the people on here 🙏
    I stick to AUM as I (now) understand it but whenever I watch anything that created in Drambo, Loopy Pro, any DAW you want to mention and especially anything that requires in depth musical knowledge such as your preferred tool of Staffpad or even pen and music paper I’m afraid the fog descends and I have no idea what’s happening.
    I must admit I’m tempted by Tera Pro but I bought Copperhead recently and I’m not much of a synth collector really.
    I tend to stick to the same sources and experiment with effects more.
    Also, perhaps sadly, I still practice GeoShred, treating it like a real instrument. I prefer to do that than learning what knob to twiddle 😊

• Lovely with a kick.

• n!ce👍

love Culture SVs!

• I enjoyed intro story, the wonderfully atmospheric music, the AI cover art and the "making of" description! :smile:

• Í enjoyed reading this as the soundtrack played. It reminded me of Scanners Live In Vain. Nice track, Tony!

• Very nice!

• Really enjoyed this piece, nice work 👍