Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Most versatile Synth?

Hello all.

I'm wondering what the best synth would be, for coming up with odd and interesting sounds by using modulation and LFOS? Really want something I can spend time enjoying creating strange sounds/ rhythmic sounds. Thought I'd ask here before pulling the trigger, in case there's something I don't know about!

Cheers!

Comments

• Modulars may be the way to go. I can't wrap my head around it, but miRack may have what you seek. Or Drambo (which is a little bit easier to wrap my head around). Model 15 is another.

Of course a really great bread-and-butter semi-modular synth would be Obsidian in Nanostudio 2, although if I remember correctly, it doesn't have an arpeggiator.

• Tera Pro has a pretty nice arp and very, very well rounded amount of synthesis types now.

• Yep, I'd second Tera Pro + IAPs as the most interesting synth we have, by a long way,

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Modulars may be the way to go. I can't wrap my head around it, but miRack may have what you seek. Or Drambo (which is a little bit easier to wrap my head around). Model 15 is another.

Yes, modular would be a good choice.

Model 15 might be a little limited, but modular (or semi-modular) probably provides the most versatility.

What would especially provide versatility would be a good range of oscillator types, and the ability to use wavetables or samples as source.

• Currently, Tera Pro. Synthmaster Pro is up there too in terms of features.

• Obsidian in Nanostudio 2 if you have it. Plenty of LFO’s and Envelopes. I loved creating rhythmic patches in it.

• @Gavinski said:
    Yep, I'd second Tera Pro + IAPs as the most interesting synth we have, by a long way,

I finally looked into Tera Pro (it being M1 iPad-only made me shy away from it, but man I'm sleep), and jfc it really is the most versatile synth we got! I'll buy it right the day after my next gig.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:
    Yep, I'd second Tera Pro + IAPs as the most interesting synth we have, by a long way,

I finally looked into Tera Pro (it being M1 iPad-only made me shy away from it, but man I'm sleep), and jfc it really is the most versatile synth we got! I'll buy it right the day after my next gig.

It is not M1 iPad-only. It works on my second generation iPad Pro. On desktop it will only work on an M1 or newer Mac.

• @NeuM said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

It is not M1 iPad-only. It works on my second generation iPad Pro. On desktop it will only work on an M1 or newer Mac.

Ah that's where I got confused lol.

• edited February 2023

Ivcs3. You can modulate almost anything by anything else, but with the extension iap you can double click on any knob and you can set an extra LFO to that knob. It’s mental.

It has a sample player and a sequencer

Also it has a random button to get crazy.

It’s literally endless fun once you get the hang of it, or even mostly get the hang of it like me.

I’m currently making a sound pack of noises I make with it.

• IceGear's Lagrange is another great option. Loads of fun to have there
    https://icegear.net/lagrange/

• @sevenape said:
    Ivcs3. You can modulate almost anything by anything else, but with the extension iap you can double click on any knob and you can set an extra LFO to that knob. It’s mental.

It’s literally endless fun once you get the hang of it, or even mostly get the hang of it like me.

Wait a minute. This whole time I never knew it had a smaller player 😯 running a sample through all that modulation and effects?? Also it has maybe the best filter on iOS.

• Don’t overlook specialized synths either like Skiiid, Shockwave, etc.

• Apart fro those already mentioned. Continua and KASPAR, way to complicated for my noob skill. Probably down your alley.

• Tera Pro for sure. Just got even more flexible with the addition of its second IAP.

• @Gavinski said:

Tera Pro does have a ton of cool preset sounds, especially with the waves and brainz IAPs.

I don’t know about the most interesting “by a long way” though.

Nambu, or ID700 are up there on my most interesting list.

OP was asking about the most versatile synth FWIW

IMO the king of versatility award goes to the big D. It’s interesting and intuitive to use, while being extremely powerful and flexible. (I still find Tera’s way of connecting modules the opposite of intuitive. But that’s probably just me as I’m used to D’s connectors)

• edited February 2023

_ _ _ M _ O

• edited February 2023

@Montreal_Music said:
    _ _ _ M _ O

CRUMTO?

• Tera Pro is super fun with outstanding results.

• @NeuM said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    _ _ _ M _ O

CRUMTO?

1/4

You can buy more try for only $25 each try.

Thanks for your purshase.

• @HotStrange said:

@sevenape said:

Wait a minute. This whole time I never knew it had a smaller player 😯 running a sample through all that modulation and effects?? Also it has maybe the best filter on iOS.

Definitely one of my favourite filters! And spring reverb!

Hahah I know! I haven’t even tried the sample player yet and I’ve had it for years!

Also for OP the synth also can be loaded by component into aum or whatever, so you can add the filter to a track, or the oscillator or noise or envelope or whatever… and the controls can be modulated by the internal lfo by double clicking on the knobs.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@Gavinski said:

Tera Pro does have a ton of cool preset sounds, especially with the waves and brainz IAPs.

I don’t know about the most interesting “by a long way” though.

Nambu, or ID700 are up there on my most interesting list.

OP was asking about the most versatile synth FWIW

IMO the king of versatility award goes to the big D. It’s interesting and intuitive to use, while being extremely powerful and flexible. (I still find Tera’s way of connecting modules the opposite of intuitive. But that’s probably just me as I’m used to D’s connectors)

True that the TP connection method is very unintuitive. And yes I have a lot of love for Nambu and id700 too. Drambo I still have never really dived into, for my sins! I'm sure you're right that it's the most versatile tho

• It really does depend on what kind of sounds one is intending to make?

I've yet to find a single synth/app on iOS that allows the same deep level of wave-table mangling that Drambo's wave-table oscillator is capable of with all the wave-effects & wave filters that can reapplied in any order as many times as needed until the CPU chokes.

D does not yet have wave-table 'editing/creation' but I guess that's just a matter of time and it's quite easy to import ready made wave-tables when needed but with all the mangling modules I seldom have the need to actually create a wave-table.

Lagrange is hard to beat with all the various oscillator types.

FRMS is also pretty darn deep and does both FM & Granular but it hurts my eyes...

• Anyone mentioned forthcoming Buttersynth?

• rvrrvr
    edited February 2023

In drambo you can have self generating rhytmical stuff with modulation of any knob in any way you want including complex hand drawn looped envelopes.. much more fast and convenient than emulation of classic modular wiring. Takes a while to learn though

• @lazyass said:
    Anyone mentioned forthcoming Buttersynth?

Only synths available now should be considered.

• @sevenape said:

@HotStrange said:

@sevenape said:

Hahah I know! I haven’t even tried the sample player yet and I’ve had it for years!

Also for OP the synth also can be loaded by component into aum or whatever, so you can add the filter to a track, or the oscillator or noise or envelope or whatever… and the controls can be modulated by the internal lfo by double clicking on the knobs.

Wish apesoft would come back with something soon. One of my favorite Devs on the platform. Thanks for the info! Excited to try it out.

• Versatile, can be a bit vague, I’m guessing you mean the sounds it can make, but are you thinking something with more presets, for sound design, or a combo of both?

• @HotStrange said:

@sevenape said:

@HotStrange said:

@sevenape said:

Wish apesoft would come back with something soon. One of my favorite Devs on the platform. Thanks for the info! Excited to try it out.

Yea, mood, electric, accordion, are all great.

• edited March 2023

I will also say Lagrange at least as an option. It has like 24 oscillator types to choose from…

Maybe something like pure synth platinum.

For something with lots of presets maybe,
    OB-xD or Tal-u-no-lx
    KQ Dixie has more patches then I’ll ever be able to try…