Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneStack as a Multi-Effects Processor for Synths via Audiobus?

There's some chatter over in the thread for Yonac's ToneStack that it can deliver a stereo output at the end of the effects chain.

Is this true? I've been wanting a guitar effects+amps app to put in the Bus' effects slot for a long time now. I don't play guitar, but I'd love to run Sunrizer and Animoog through mountains of effects boxes all chained together in some sort of unholy ritual to summon the demon of noise. Unfortunately the apps I tried would only output mono audio by the end.

So is it possible to do this with ToneStack? Because if so, I'm breaking my 11-weeks-clean-from-app-addiction high score just to buy it.

Comments

• edited August 2014

Yes. I haven't opened it in a bit (so I haven't seen 1.1 yet) but if I recall correctly, you have to set up each channel independently. That is, there isn't a stereo cabinet or head or pedal effects — if you want to maintain stereo integrity from source to output you have to create two matching signal paths.

Hopefully, I'm just remembering this wrong. :)

• So, essentially:

1. Feed the synth's output into ToneStack via an ABY unit, which splits the synth's stereo spectrum into left and right audio streams.

2. These split waveforms are then subjected to identical (or not) effect pedal and amp combinations.

3. At the end of their journey, the 2 waveforms are rejoined by an ABY unit, who conveniently can return the synthesizer to its former stereo glory with its panning knobs.

Am I at least in the ballpark?

• edited August 2014

Yes! Here's how I have an example set up using Audiobus:

Animoog —> A/B/Y Splitter —>

Signal Path A: Cosmic Echo —> '65 Verbmaker —> Pre-Network 1x12

Signal Path B: FuzzBender —> Silver Trembler —> Silverpanel 1x10

—> Speaker Output

For Audiobus, I have Animoog in the INPUT slot and ToneStack in the EFFECTS slot. The splitter within ToneStack is set so signal path A is hard-panned left and signal path B is hard-panned right.

• edited August 2014

Kept getting a "string could not be parsed" error message, resulting in multiple posts. Sorry!

In any case, I hope this helps. Guess I'm better at Audiobus: The Application than I am at Audiobus: The Tricky Forum.

• Here is a track in which I ran an Alchemy lead through Tonestack (no ABY setup), starts at 1:17. Really liking Tonestack for effects.

• Thank you guys for the responses. I'm going to grab ToneStack based on this. It sounds like it'll be a great effects app.

• The Metal Monger and the t150 plate verb effects are some of the more useful to me but I was wondering if anyone has an example of a synth through Polyoct?

• @kgmessier said:

—> Speaker Output

For Audiobus, I have Animoog in the INPUT slot and ToneStack in the EFFECTS slot. The splitter within ToneStack is set so signal path A is hard-panned left and signal path B is hard-panned right.

Each time I use ToneStack as a multi-effect synth, the sound is distorted, even if I only use reverb. Can you explain me how the A-B-Y splitter work? Its a part of ToneStack pedal? I feel a little bit lost here Thanks.

• The A-B-Y splitter in ToneStack is found under the FX section of the app under "Utilities." It's near the bottom.

It allows you to create three signal paths path A, B, and Y. The Y path simply include all of the elements in both paths A and B.

If you have an amp in either the A or B path or anywhere in the signal chain, you'll probably introduce distortion. I believe even just having a cabinet in the chain will alter the sound.

I haven't used TS for a while, but I hope that helps.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@kgmessier said:

—> Speaker Output

Each time I use ToneStack as a multi-effect synth, the sound is distorted, even if I only use reverb. Can you explain me how the A-B-Y splitter work? Its a part of ToneStack pedal? I feel a little bit lost here Thanks.

Check the levels into ToneStack and out of ToneStack to make sure that they aren't too hot. I use one of their phasers pretty frequently as an Insert from AUM and don't run into distortion issues.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@kgmessier said:

—> Speaker Output

Check the levels into ToneStack and out of ToneStack to make sure that they aren't too hot. I use one of their phasers pretty frequently as an Insert from AUM and don't run into distortion issues.

+1

Have a look on the Yonac forum for the effects that are
    stereo to stereo, mono to stereo, mono to mono.

Here's the link

http://www.yonac.com/forum.html#/discussion/3640/tonestack-mono-stereo-fx-list