Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FabFilter Twin 3 on iOS (Released)

Comments

• Might have to break my universal only rule for this. And buttersynth.

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:

@Samu said:

@Gavinski said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Does it have a int patch ?

Yah, it's called 'Clean'.

No, it’s called ‘default sound’ - btw Samu, your double tap and drag tip is worth its weight in gold - this is also the only reliable way to connect mod sources to destinations. FF really need to step up and at least provide a cheat sheet for iOS gestures for this. It’s not a good user experience to have to faff around figuring these things out without guidance

'Clean' is more like an 'Init' with just one saw-oscillator with no other effects or mumbo-jumbo and behaves more like a 'clean slate' to start from with one oscillator etc. etc.

Ah, cheers!

After selecting 'Clean' you can do a 'Save as Default' and it will replace the Default preset with the 'Clean' preset :sunglasses:

The 'Save as Default is used to set the default preset for the Plug-In initially loads with.
    (It's the same behavior in all FabFilter apps).

Cheers Samu, indeed, in twin' clean' sets it to just one oscillator etc. Thanks bud!

• This one has not captured my imagination. I find their effects plugins enough work with all of the hidden functions.

• I'm feeling the pull... but a couple questions first.

• How many presets in total does it come with?
    • And can you easily import a bank from Twin2 into Twin3? I see there's a few free packs out there...
  • @Halftone said:
    I'm feeling the pull... but a couple questions first.

• How many presets in total does it come with?
    • And can you easily import a bank from Twin2 into Twin3? I see there's a few free packs out there...

Presets: easily 250+
    Separate folder for “Best of Twin 2” presets but no preset import

• the manual says you should be able to use Twin 2 presets: "All presets created with Twin 1 or 2 can be loaded in Twin 3, although they may sound slightly different due to changes in the new plug-in version"

• edited February 2023

Have a look in the files app, you should be able to see the presets folder, in which case you can import the presets that way. I haven't bought it yet.
    edit: with Timeless 3 they added preset import later, so maybe the same here

• Sound is great, UI is horrible on iPad mini, on Air it’s not that bad, but not ideal neither, some control elements are like for ant fingers .. especially working with envelopes needs tremendous amount of patience ..

Still not that bad like Synthmaster 2 which is UI catastrophe :-))

• I´m really surprised with the efficiency of this synth, considering the incredible sound quality.

• @dendy said:
    Sound is great, UI is horrible on iPad mini, on Air it’s not that bad, but not ideal neither, some control elements are like for ant fingers .. especially working with envelopes needs tremendous amount of patience ..

They have already ported most plugins to ios from desktop over the past few years. Why no-one in the design team has figured out that when designing the desktop versions they need to keep the future ios version in mind is beyond me!

• @Gavinski said:

@dendy said:
    Sound is great, UI is horrible on iPad mini, on Air it’s not that bad, but not ideal neither, some control elements are like for ant fingers .. especially working with envelopes needs tremendous amount of patience ..

They have already ported most plugins to ios from desktop over the past few years. Why no-one in the design team has figured out that when designing the desktop versions they need to keep the future ios version in mind is beyond me!

Resources and time, both on design and code side. They'll sell way more on desktop, and still develop only for desktop, and likely use a framework for easy porting to iOS.

• @Gavinski said:
    ….Why no-one in the design team has figured out that when designing the desktop versions they need to keep the future ios version in mind is beyond me!

Maybe it isn’t a question of figuring anything out…it might be a simple matter of economics/practicality/pragmatically.

The iOS market likely does not generate enough revenue for them to adopt a different approach.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    ….Why no-one in the design team has figured out that when designing the desktop versions they need to keep the future ios version in mind is beyond me!

Maybe it isn’t a question of figuring anything out…it might be a simple matter of economics/practicality/pragmatically.

The iOS market likely does not generate enough revenue for them to adopt a different approach.

I can understand that the iOS market is smaller than desktop, but the filter and envelope sections could easily be a bit smaller and allow for larger knobs, fonts etc in other parts of the interface.

There are also a lot of people who move from iOS to desktop production, and if their experience of an app is not good on iOS they may not buy the desktop version when they shift.

My point is that when developers know they are going to port to iOS they should bear that in mind when designing the desktop plugin. Ideally, iOS should not be an afterthought. Thinking ahead is a principle of good design. If it were impossible to make a good desktop design that would translate well to iOS, that’s a different story, but I don’t think that’s the case here. I could easily envisage this being designed in a way that would be great on both platforms.

And - info about touch gestures needed to use a desktop plugin properly on iOS should be there from the moment of release. This is my biggest gripe.

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

I can understand that the iOS market is smaller than desktop, but the filter and envelope sections could easily be a bit smaller and allow for larger knobs, fonts etc in other parts of the interface.

There are also a lot of people who move from iOS to desktop production, and if their experience of an app is not good on iOS they may not buy the desktop version when they shift.

My point is that when developers know they are going to port to iOS they should bear that in mind when designing the desktop plugin. Ideally, iOS should not be an afterthought. Thinking ahead is a principle of good design. If it were impossible to make a good desktop design that would translate well to iOS, that’s a different story, but I don’t think that’s the case here. I could easily envisage this being designed in a way that would be great on both platforms.

And - info about touch gestures needed to use a desktop plugin properly on iOS should be there from the moment of release. This is my biggest gripe.

My point is that they may well give thought to everything you mentioned and determined that the cost vs benefit ratio isn’t favorable.

I think a lot of second-guessing goes on on this forum about what would be reasonable or beneficial for developers to do based on insufficient knowledge to assess the situation.

All the things you mentioned would be wonderful to have … but the time likely would not justify the effort.

I think you have to assume that experienced developers have a lot of datapoints that we don’t.

Rather than “why haven’t THEY figured it out” the question is “what is it about the iOS market that desktop developers have little incentive to spend more resources accommodating iOS users”.

• Can someone tell me how to change the octave of the onboard keys? Tried a few different gestures to scroll the keys up and down but no joy

• edited February 2023

Bigger knobs / fonts and smaller visual elements would not incur any time expense. Writing out the gestures needed for ios vs desktop mouse+ key commands would take an hour max

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

My point is that they may well give thought to everything you mentioned and determined that the cost vs benefit ratio isn’t favorable.

I think a lot of second-guessing goes on on this forum about what would be reasonable or beneficial for developers to do based on insufficient knowledge to assess the situation.

All the things you mentioned would be wonderful to have … but the time likely would not justify the effort.

I think you have to assume that experienced developers have a lot of datapoints that we don’t.

Rather than “why haven’t THEY figured it out” the question is “what is it about the iOS market that desktop developers have little incentive to spend more resources accommodating iOS users”.

• Might have been mentioned already but you can download all the Twin and Twin 2 presets here:
    https://www.fabfilter.com/support/downloads
    Then import the whole folders into Twin 3

• Ok I just did a few minute preset run and I gotta give it to them, the presets are like top of the tops good, if that matters to you. Still putting off really diving into the guts, even though I’m well-versed in the Fab stuff.

The thing sounds amazing though.

• Another question, anyone know to create a new folder for my own patches? They’re saving in the top level and it’s getting a bit cluttered already

• Fully agree, it sounds fantastic

• Plus, the manual - even though it is only geared at desktop use - is extremely thorough, full of great tips. Now we just need the ios gesture controls to be added.

• @dendy said:

LOL!

• @GLacey said:

Thanks 👏🏾👏🏾

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

I agree with @espiegel123. In addition, I think FF is firmly in the form over function school of app design. Looking at their consistently beautiful, and consistently almost-but-not-quite-unusable UIs, I think that's simply the position they have taken. Of course they could have larger buttons and less empty space. I mean whoever can design something this esthetically pleasing could surely do that, too. I think they choose not to. Which I regret, but fair enough and good luck to them anyway.

• me: love all of twin 3
    also me: love none of drambo

• @realdawei said:
    me: love all of twin 3
    also me: love none of drambo

Lol

• In case anyone missed this and runs out of presets for Twin 3 all the classic Twin 2 presets can be downloaded from here...
    https://www.fabfilter.com/support/downloads

I just imported (or rather copied the Twin 2 folder to my Twin 3 folder on the Mac) and there's a LOT of presets to dig thru :sunglasses:

• Can someone explain me why some high quality apps like this have only 10 mb. And other over 700 mb? How does it technicaly works, and depend on?