Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Across 110th Street" Flip (It's like BoomBap and Trap with a Soulful 70s Aesthetic)

Sheesh, it's been about 3 weeks since I last shared anything here, lol. Normally I'd have something on SoundCloud or BandCamp to show you, but since I sampled stuff that isn't cleared, I'll just leave this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwnb6ownkr3hha7/022123a ("Across 110th Street" Beat Flip).m4a?dl=0

Give it a listen and let me know what you think. For other productions of mine, check...

https://jwmmakerofmusic.bandcamp.com/

and

https://soundcloud.com/jwmmakerofmusic

NOTES

I produced this mostly in Nanostudio 2. I used an electric piano and strings from Pure Synth Platinum 2 (thank you @GospelMusicians !!!). Most drums and the 808 came from here...

https://www.tsunamiaudio.com/products/infinity-kit

...although I did layer another snare from this sample pack...

https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio/samples-loops-presets/real-drumkits

The main 8-bar loop is sampled from Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street" and ran through Wires to help set it back in the mix. The other drum loop is from Boney M's "Rasputin". It was a little faster than 109 BPM, so I adjusted the loop's pitch until it looped close enough.

I used the screen record function from Youtube videos and extracted the audio in Koala. I edited the loops in NS2's audio editor.

Cheers and enjoy. 🚬😎

Comments

• Across 110th Street is one of my favourite tracks. Interesting what you did with it here. It’s crying out for a rap over the top of it. ;) Also can’t help but think if it was taken a little slower it would breathe a little more?

To my eternal shame, I once did an interview with Ron Wood in the studio on a solo album he was making… and at the time, I didn’t really know who Bobby Womack was. He was there too, just hanging out in the background, and I didn’t think to interview him while I had the chance. I did get to watch him and Ron just jamming and having fun on a couple of guitars for a bit though… oh ignorance, thy name is youth!

• Across 110th Street is also one of my favorite tracks and movies. The latter is brilliantly grim.

Bobby Womack is a fascinating cat who turns up in so many places:
    Demonstrating to Mick and Keith how to really write a song
    Holed up with Sly Stone in the mansion and mobile studio
    Trying to broker the peace when Larry Williams was literally gunning for Little Richard over an unpaid drug debt
    Playing with Todd Rundgren on the David Letterman Show
    Working with Ronnie

I wish he would write a memoir.

• Love the beat!!!
    This is another superb production, and I am enjoying it!!!

• edited February 2023

@Svetlovska said:
    Across 110th Street is one of my favourite tracks. Interesting what you did with it here. It’s crying out for a rap over the top of it. ;) Also can’t help but think if it was taken a little slower it would breathe a little more?

I'd definitely spit fire overtop this beat if my rap style wasn't whiter than Vanilla Ice. 🤣 I'm more like Dr. Seuss than Dr. Dre.

Yeah, I was thinking about slowing down the "Across 110th Street" loop first via pitching it down, but it lost its feel. It's like when someone samples a song and turns it into Vaporwave simply by turning the pitch down and making the BPM slower. The entire feel changes.

So I figured "Well, maybe I can timestretch it". In this case it made the song sound too "digital". Which isn't a bad thing by any means (if my "8-Bit Fantasies" EP is anything to go by), but not the aesthetic I was shooting for in this beat in particular. ;)

To my eternal shame, I once did an interview with Ron Wood in the studio on a solo album he was making… and at the time, I didn’t really know who Bobby Womack was. He was there too, just hanging out in the background, and I didn’t think to interview him while I had the chance. I did get to watch him and Ron just jamming and having fun on a couple of guitars for a bit though… oh ignorance, thy name is youth!

Daaaamn! You met Bobby Womack?! I'm jealous, lol.

@JeffChasteen said:
    Across 110th Street is also one of my favorite tracks and movies. The latter is brilliantly grim.

I definitely gotta check it out. I first heard the song in "Jackie Brown", not gonna lie, lol. In fact, I didn't rip the audio from the recording itself but rather the intro to the "Jackie Brown" movie. 😂

Bobby Womack is a fascinating cat who turns up in so many places:
    Demonstrating to Mick and Keith how to really write a song
    Holed up with Sly Stone in the mansion and mobile studio
    Trying to broker the peace when Larry Williams was literally gunning for Little Richard over an unpaid drug debt
    Playing with Todd Rundgren on the David Letterman Show
    Working with Ronnie

I wish he would write a memoir.

There is his autobiography. https://www.amazon.com/Bobby-Womack-Story-1944-2014/dp/1782199845 Which I didn't know existed until I googled "Bobby Womack Memoir". Bobby passed in 2014 unfortunately, but I plan to get this book for some nighttime reading.

@ReneAsologuitar said:
    Love the beat!!!
    This is another superb production, and I am enjoying it!!!

Thank you so much mate. <3 :) I showed this beat to a rapper friend, and he was like "this is f*cking amazeballs!" The only issue preventing us from a commercial release (or at least a BandCamp one) is copyright clearances and royalties and all that red tape stuff.

I recently rewatched "Jackie Brown" a few days ago, couldn't get "Across 110th Street" out of my head, and I was like "I need to use this song in a beat!" Like a desire overtaking my entire being to flip it.

• Thanks for both the bad news and good news. I honestly did not know Womack was dead, but I also did not know he had an autobiography. I will be searching.

Also, really nice work on the track. If I could give it a ❤️ I certainly would!

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Thanks for both the bad news and good news. I honestly did not know Womack was dead, but I also did not know he had an autobiography. I will be searching.

Womack may be dead, but his musical legacy makes him immortal! Just remember that mate. ❤️

Also, really nice work on the track. If I could give it a ❤️ I certainly would!

Thanks mate. :) That means a lot.