Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there such a thing as an ad-free social media with no algorithms or shady stuff?

And if not how hard would it be to make one!? I had this shower thought for a social media platform designed to allow users to take more control of what they see. Something where people could share their freaky deaky art and stuff without having to worry about hits or advertising or anything. Something simple and Web 1.0 ish. Is there any going back to that!?

Comments

• edited February 2023

@sevenape said:
    And if not how hard would it be to make one!? I had this shower thought for a social media platform designed to allow users to take more control of what they see. Something where people could share their freaky deaky art and stuff without having to worry about hits or advertising or anything. Something simple and Web 1.0 ish. Is there any going back to that!?

Dunno. Finally left Instagram today, due to not only the exponential increase in in-line advertising, but due to being completely and inappropriately out-of-context. Let's just say that there algorithm doesn't work for me.

• @el_bo said:

@sevenape said:

Dunno. Finally left Instagram today, due to not only the exponential increase in in-line advertising, but due to being completely and inappropriately out-of-context. Let's just say that there algorithm doesn't work for me.

Man they all suck. I sideloaded a bunch of tweaked apps that block all the ads and stuff, but on instagram I still only see posts by about 5 people

• The federated ones like Mastodon, but they're a pain to set up from what I understand

• @AlexY said:
    The federated ones like Mastodon, but they're a pain to set up from what I understand

I took a look at mastodon, but it does seem a bit complicated

• Nothing is free, so any sufficiently advanced and usable service is either going to be subscription and/or ad-supported to keep the lights on and the service running.

• @NeuM said:
    Nothing is free, so any sufficiently advanced and usable service is either going to be subscription and/or ad-supported to keep the lights on and the service running.

What he said.

• Unfortunately, there would be no incentive for that.
    Perhaps as a loss leader? However, those are as a rule just propaganda outlets.

• @plenogard said:
    Why not just jump in a Mastodon instance? No need to create a new one, just sign up for one of the existing ones. I'm not much of a social person but I feel comfortable there. No ads, easy to control what you see and safe regulations.

Mastodon is a deserted island. Services like Twitter are like a city full of people, some you like and some you don't like. But at least it's not a deserted island.

• There is one, believe or not, and it is called your local pub or social club 👍

• I'm also fairly new to Mastodon but knowing that it's open source and mostly decentralized gives a little hope. The main deal with setting it up is choosing a server that you want your account to sit in. I picked something that at least has Mastodon in the name so that my Mastodon address isn't too abstract.
    But well that's pretty much it. After that I could follow other accounts etc just like Twitter.
    So definitely worth a try IMO.

• @NeuM said:

@plenogard said:
    Why not just jump in a Mastodon instance? No need to create a new one, just sign up for one of the existing ones. I'm not much of a social person but I feel comfortable there. No ads, easy to control what you see and safe regulations.

Mastodon is a deserted island. Services like Twitter are like a city full of people, some you like and some you don't like. But at least it's not a deserted island.

Yeah I also can't confirm that. There's a decent amount of people. It might be more on the leftish political spectrum (at least here in Germany) but I'm quite ok with that :) or maybe I just don't see as many far right (or more than that) people and comments as I did on Twitter.

• @jacou said:
    I'm also fairly new to Mastodon but knowing that it's open source and mostly decentralized gives a little hope. The main deal with setting it up is choosing a server that you want your account to sit in. I picked something that at least has Mastodon in the name so that my Mastodon address isn't too abstract.
    But well that's pretty much it. After that I could follow other accounts etc just like Twitter.
    So definitely worth a try IMO.

Submitted without comment: https://www.wired.com/story/the-mastodon-bump-is-now-a-slump/

• In the realm of music software, there're some amazing exceptions.

But as a general rule, if something's "free" - you're the product.

• @ElectroHead said:
    In the realm of music software, there're some amazing exceptions.

That's exactly right.

• @ElectroHead said:
    In the realm of music software, there're some amazing exceptions.

Yep, for any online service you are paying either with your money or your personal data (and sometimes both).

• Tumblr is pretty low key and seems less interested in monetizing its users than Twitter and Facebook.

Mastodon isn’t a deserted island and might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

• I’ve been using Vero a lot for my photo stuff, but they let you post music, videos, links, whatever. Still free with no ads, and no feed filtering. Not sure when the other shoe will drop, but for now it’s a pretty sweet deal.

• @sevenape said:

You mean the Audiobus Forum?

• I just went to gadget cloud and that is actually rolling along decent to my surprise…wow

It seemed that gadget was kinda dead…but the cloud keeps on

• I'm thinking Spoutible might be the place for me. I've tried Mastodon and Post, but not sure they're the right fit. https://spoutible.com/patrickhmadden

• @NeuM said:
    Nothing is free, so any sufficiently advanced and usable service is either going to be subscription and/or ad-supported to keep the lights on and the service running.

Ad-free not free

• thanks I'll take a look!

• @Stochastically said:

@sevenape said:

You mean the Audiobus Forum?

it's definitely the closest thing I have found I think :))

• The only one I feel 100 percent comfortable in ATM is Mastodon. I even started MY OWN INSTANCE. So now I play by my own rules.

• @Jonah66 said:
    There is one, believe or not, and it is called your local pub or social club 👍

This!

• @BiancaNeve said:

@NeuM said:

What he said.

Yup if we're not paying with our money, we're paying with our data.

• on the fediverse I’m @u0421793@i.calckey.cloud