Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation launch control vs akai lpd8

Good morning, evening community! Is anybody using one of these. I'm undecided between akai lpd8 and launch control. The latter is more expensive but has more twisters (would say knobs but PaulB may be in the vicinity).

Any opinions?

Comments

• I have the LPD8 and like it a lot. The only thing I have found is that with The microusb ports on this and the korg nano series you have to be EXTRA careful or they can break easily. I think the launch control has a larger USB port and will probably be sturdier like on the Launchpad S (which I also have). The Mac/PC for the LPD8 is easy to use, not sure about the launch control. I was able to set up a program for IMPC Pro in a sec. Hope this helps!

• I think you would get much more feedback if the title of the thread was "AKAI LPD8 vs NOVATION LAUNCH CONTROL". :)

(I'm also interested.)

When and if you buy one of the two please post your experience.

Thanks

• I think it's cool that 'knob' backwards is 'bonk', 'ports' is 'strop', 'korg' is 'grok' (Heinlein) and 'nano' is 'onan' (one for the biblical scholars there).

• Er, I have also been unwilling to father a child by my widowed sister-in-law. Thinking about writing a song about it actually.

• Entirely within Pool Onan, no doubt.

• You might want to add Arturia Beat Step to your list to research. A lot of people seemed to like it more than the Launch Control.

• @Osidenick said:

You might want to add Arturia Beat Step to your list to research. A lot of people seemed to like it more than the Launch Control.

Do you know if beatstep runs off the ipad power?

• edited August 2014

I have 2 lpd8 and 16 pads plus 16 controllers is a complete setup for my ipad!I can feed them directly to a usb hub meaning no power hub is needed. They draw minimal power which I appreciate!

• @Korakios said:

I have 2 lpd8 and 16 pads plus 16 controllers is a complete setup for my ipad!I can feed them directly to a usb hub meaning no power hub is needed. They draw minimal power which I appreciate!

Cool. Can you be more specific? So you have 2xlpd8s connected to an unpowered hub. Where does the sound come from? Is from iPad's jack or you also have an audio interface hooked up to the hub?

• I don't connect any other audio interface ,sound is coming from iPad's jack. I'll try moding my behringer istudio (which is my audio interface) to connect the lpd8 later, but if you plan using an audio interface that draws power ,maybe you will need a powered hub. Also in plans is making an lpd8 editor on ipad,but not this year!

• Cool, thanks @Korakios I'm running 2xmpk mini and behringer uca222 all through a powered hub. Works very well but adding lpd8 would give me just about enough control for what I need.

• How's the lpd8 holding up? I know you work with loopy. Are you using it to control anything on loopy or just fx? I on the verge of buying one. The pads on the launchkey mini don't come that good as drum pads. I mapped them to loopy. Also.. Are the knobs ok? (Better than lk mini?)

Thank you

• @Macao95 said:

How's the lpd8 holding up? I know you work with loopy. Are you using it to control anything on loopy or just fx? I on the verge of buying one. The pads on the launchkey mini don't come that good as drum pads. I mapped them to loopy. Also.. Are the knobs ok? (Better than lk mini?)

Thank you

I bought in on ebay but it hasn't arrived yet I suspect it will be every bit equal to the mpk mini. I'm quite happy with mpk so no worries there. I have it assigned to stop/restart and muting/unmuting loopy, switching patches in sunrizer, switching programs in ampkit, changing patches in effectrix and tweaking turnado and wow. I wish live fx had midi learn as I find wow very fiddly and confusing. I haven't used it for triggering sample shots so don't know but I think the pads are fine even though some people complained about the pads not being responsive enough. I've never had any problems.

If you want keys there's new mpk mini mk2 that looks quite good, or the apc key mini. I've tried novation and arturia mini controllers and found akai the most rugged. I also think they look good too.

• @supadom

Something took over and I ordered the Akai Mpk Mini Mk2. :)

I'm about to go travel so I thought it was worth it to have a slightly bigger and better station with all the functions than carrying lk mini and lpd8 around.

I guess you're the one to blame. I know owe a small review.

• edited August 2014

dp

• @macao95 Don't forget that you need a USB hub to use mpk mkII with ios devices before your journey

• I've got it to use with my lk mini and samson q1u usb mic.
    I'm now waiting for my behringer uca202, dean markley artist transducer (to stick everywhere I can) and the mpk.

What does 'dp' mean?

• nice!

dp = double post.

• so what do intend on using the transducer for?

• @Macao95 said:

@supadom

Something took over and I ordered the Akai Mpk Mini Mk2. :)

I'm about to go travel so I thought it was worth it to have a slightly bigger and better station with all the functions than carrying lk mini and lpd8 around.

I guess you're the one to blame. I know owe a small review.

No pressure huh? ;) I've never tried the mk2 but I'm hearing it is completely reworked from the original so if it takes a little usb hub to make it work it will still be a good partner to your ipad. Don't know where you bought it but you're probably still in time to cancel the order and get a used mk1 for half the price. Whatever you choose to do keep us posted. I'll understand if I find you knocking at my door with an axe.

• @TGIG
    The transducer is intended to explore possibilities on regular objects that wouldn't be possible if I was using a simple mic. A direct input. I have worked with these in a small show for children in that we 'music acted or animated' (I don't know how to put it in one word) movies by Chaplin and Keaton. Two director's. I don't know 'your' world so I can't tell if this is obvious or not for you. We would do it live, on stage, play with different instruments and using transducers as well. :)

@Supadom

I think the little baby should be arriving tomorrow. I ordered it from thomann. It's worth it, at
    least in Portugal.
    I paid 95€ for it. I I had paid 99€ in a street store here in Lisbon.
    I'll keep you informed. And I use my fists. :) but I would never go knocking on your door without an invitation.

Thank for the head's up on the old mpk.

• If you ever show up at my door @Macao95 make sure you bring your akai ;)

• :). Yes. I will.

It got here. It smells like good plastic and I am still going through the basics. I have no idea how to work with the new buttons but will in a few hours. For now I'll tell you: the pads are very OK. And say say very because I have little experience with any pads at all. But I wouldn't ask for more sensitivity. The keys are much much better than the ones in lk mini and here I don't think anyone can disagree. The knobs also feel better and I'm going to have an aneurism thinking about what can I do with the 'thumbstick'. It feels very robust and heavier than the lk mini. ALL features work out of the box. With the hub, of course:)

Oh and one more thing.

THANK YOU :)

• Lol...."It smells like good plastic"

• Really. The pads smell horrible. Like 'your killing the earth' horrible.

• I get it. It just struck me funny.

• Yeah. I guess it isn't a common thing to say in this context. But I was a bit euphoric. :)

• I just bought novation launch control so I'll update here of how it goes.

• Bought and sold launch control. Arturia Beatstep is next in line.