Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Horse With No Name, America 1971

"A Horse with No Name" is a song by the folk rock band America, written by Dewey Bunnell. It was the band's first and most successful single, released in late 1971. Dewey Bunnell wanted to capture the sensation of the hot, dry desert, as he remembered his childhood travels through the Arizona and New Mexico desert when his family lived at Vandenberg Air Force Base. Bunnell has explained that "A Horse with No Name" was "a metaphor for a vehicle to get away from life's confusion into a quiet, peaceful place".

In the midst of life's confusion, the solace and joy of old friends and beautiful memories always transport people to a state of peaceful bliss!!!

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Interesting fact: the horse's name was "Spot". It was pretty wise to leave it out of the song. They tried:

"I went through the desert on a horse I named Spot" and the recording engineer did a spit take with his coffee.
    It took a few hours to clean up the recording console. People in the know use the original lyric.

(We still need that humor font to slip the casual reader a clue when we're working on a bit.) Carry on.

Personally after some America tunes I need to listen to some Don Henley to get right with the world of folk again.
    Don Henley's pencil had an eraser and he probably wore it down before he used up the lead. America used those silly little golf score pencils without an erase and the first words on the page made it to the record... despite the water damage to the console. Good tunes and great performances but those lyrics... qu'elle fromage.

• edited February 2023

Thank you for this! I like your take on this as much as the original, maybe more. I remember the day I bought the album. I was with Mike and Lloyd. We walked into “Tempo Records” on Ogden Avenue. The entrance had a veil of beads that you had to pass through. When you entered you immediately noticed the smell of the Jasmine incense. On that particular day I think they were playing an album by Jade Warrior in the background. I bought the album. I think it was about 5 dollars. After that we went to… I think I’m starting to ramble. Okay, enough. This brought back specific, detailed memories of one particular day in my life. A nice day. Thank you, Rene!

• Nice one, @ReneAsologuitar This was the second proper song I learned to to play on guitar ( the first was Oh Sinner Man!). I loved America’s first album and learned to play many of the tracks. I loved the harmonies, in the original songs, which were reminiscent of CSN & Y. I used to play this with my dad playing “drums” using his brushes on an old 7in singles record case (he never had a drumkit, just the brushes!).
    Not an easy song to do solo because of the long runs of the same note and lack of harmonies in the chorus but you pulled it off ! Thanks for bring up some treasured memories for me.

• I remember hearing this song, loving the melody but wondering ," what on earth is he singing about"? I had heard people say it was about the drug heroin. I much prefer this explanation. Once again, thank you Rene for sharing your talents and these interesting facts about the songs you cover. You always bring something unique and refreshing to the songs you play.

• edited February 2023

Another one of my favourite songs, impeccably delivered. :) Up there with American Pie for creating the mysterious land of the imagination that was ‘America’ to me back in the day, before I visited my dauntingly massive American cousins (my aunt a GI bride) at Dover airforce base, Delaware, at the age of 14.

Deserts? Whiskey and Rye? What were these strange things? Delaware sadly lacked the former and I was too young for the latter, obviously, but it was still like going to another world, rather than another country. I saw and bought vegetables from Amish people, and still couldn’t quite get my head round the fact that the massive supermarket we visited, in the first mall I had ever seen, let you pick up rifles and boxes of bullets as easily as cans of beans if you wanted… the first of many (many) trips I made to that amazing, strange country…

• Another great performance, and I love the la la, lalala la la chorus in this song 😀

Also really interesting to read all the comments and memories this song conjures in people. A good choice of song to start conversations with.

• @McD said:
    Interesting fact: the horse's name was "Spot". It was pretty wise to leave it out of the song. They tried:
    "I went through the desert on a horse I named Spot" and the recording engineer did a spit take with his coffee.
    It took a few hours to clean up the recording console. People in the know use the original lyric.
    (We still need that humor font to slip the casual reader a clue when we're working on a bit.) Carry on.
    Personally after some America tunes I need to listen to some Don Henley to get right with the world of folk again.
    Don Henley's pencil had an eraser and he probably wore it down before he used up the lead. America used those silly little golf score pencils without an erase and the first words on the page made it to the record... despite the water damage to the console. Good tunes and great performances but those lyrics... qu'elle fromage.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @McD ,
    Very nice comments, and I am not up to speed with most of your inside stuff feed.
    I am so happy to read all these new insight irt "Spot"!
    I agree, Don Henley is truly a writer and storyteller extraordinaire!!!
    You can call it folk, or even dare to say Jazz, as his ability to "jazz" things up with his lyrics are so ahead of his time.
    Thank you, again, for your great additions, and wonderful insights.
    Respectfully,
    Rene

• I dislike this song only because it was played to death. But I like what you did, Rene and agree about the la Las.

• I might have lost my cherry to this song. If not this one, maybe it was Miracles by Jefferson Starship. Could also have been that Jackson Brown album. You’d think I would remember!

• I’ve been looking forward to listening to this… it didn’t disappoint. Another great track @ReneAsologuitar !

• You don't need a super complex chords progression to create a hit! Very good job Rene, fun to watch, as always.

• @Paulieworld said:
    Thank you for this! I like your take on this as much as the original, maybe more. I remember the day I bought the album. I was with Mike and Lloyd. We walked into “Tempo Records” on Ogden Avenue. The entrance had a veil of beads that you had to pass through. When you entered you immediately noticed the smell of the Jasmine incense. On that particular day I think they were playing an album by Jade Warrior in the background. I bought the album. I think it was about 5 dollars. After that we went to… I think I’m starting to ramble. Okay, enough. This brought back specific, detailed memories of one particular day in my life. A nice day. Thank you, Rene!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Rambling like you did, is so perfect!!!
    To be able to get the details this clearly, is such an amazing scene revisioned!!!
    I am so impressed by your memory, and so moved by your love of this album, and I can believe all your detailed recollection 100%.
    You are so awesome, @Paulieworld !!!
    Thank you, and glad that I was able to be part of this incredible story of musical connection.
    Respectfully,
    Rene

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Nice one, @ReneAsologuitar This was the second proper song I learned to to play on guitar ( the first was Oh Sinner Man!). I loved America’s first album and learned to play many of the tracks. I loved the harmonies, in the original songs, which were reminiscent of CSN & Y. I used to play this with my dad playing “drums” using his brushes on an old 7in singles record case (he never had a drumkit, just the brushes!).
    Not an easy song to do solo because of the long runs of the same note and lack of harmonies in the chorus but you pulled it off ! Thanks for bring up some treasured memories for me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @AlterEgo_UK ,
    You are so appreciated, my friend.
    And I am so happy to hear that you played this song with your Dad, so precious!!!!!
    Where is your Dad now? Warm regards!
    I am so humbled by your beautiful compliments, thank you so much!!!
    With much respect,
    Rene

• There was me all the time thinking that Neil Young wrote this. Lovely version Rene!

• @ReneAsologuitar said:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @AlterEgo_UK ,
    And I am so happy to hear that you played this song with your Dad, so precious!!!!!
    With much respect,
    Rene

@ReneAsologuitar
    My dad is sadly no longer with us but where ever he is, I am sure he will still have fond memories of playing that song!

• Hi @AlterEgo_UK ,
    With much respect,
    Rene

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@ReneAsologuitar
    My dad is sadly no longer with us but where ever he is, I am sure he will still have fond memories of playing that song!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am with you @AlterEgo_UK , I know your Dad is looking down on us, and so happy that we are talking about him and his love for music, and moreso, his great love for you, his pride and joy!!!

• Lovely rendition, I’ve not heard this in aeons…

• Can we do a poll and give that Horse a name? I'd vote for "Spot" of course for accuracy with the draft lyric.

• edited February 2023

beautifully played and sung, lovely

• @MadeofWax said:
    I remember hearing this song, loving the melody but wondering ," what on earth is he singing about"? I had heard people say it was about the drug heroin. I much prefer this explanation. Once again, thank you Rene for sharing your talents and these interesting facts about the songs you cover. You always bring something unique and refreshing to the songs you play.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @MadeofWax ,
    Always a pure pleasure to hear from you, my friend.
    Always love your great responses.
    Thank you for the listen, and the solid support!
    Pls stay safe and keep healthy!
    With love and respect,
    Rene

• @Svetlovska said:
    Another one of my favourite songs, impeccably delivered. :) Up there with American Pie for creating the mysterious land of the imagination that was ‘America’ to me back in the day, before I visited my dauntingly massive American cousins (my aunt a GI bride) at Dover airforce base, Delaware, at the age of 14.
    Deserts? Whiskey and Rye? What were these strange things? Delaware sadly lacked the former and I was too young for the latter, obviously, but it was still like going to another world, rather than another country. I saw and bought vegetables from Amish people, and still couldn’t quite get my head round the fact that the massive supermarket we visited, in the first mall I had ever seen, let you pick up rifles and boxes of bullets as easily as cans of beans if you wanted… the first of many (many) trips I made to that amazing, strange country…

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @Svetlovska ,
    Truly a great visit, from what I gathered, strange but great!!!
    Guns and bullets, too accessible, that's add on to the current onslaught of violence.
    Wow, a GI bride at 14!!! Thanks for the service her family had endowed to the nation.
    I simply love America, and this song is a personal fav.
    And thank you for the great feedback, and beautiful stories.
    With love and respect,
    Rene

• @richardyot said:
    Another great performance, and I love the la la, lalala la la chorus in this song 😀
    Also really interesting to read all the comments and memories this song conjures in people. A good choice of song to start conversations with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The song is a personal fav, @richardyot !
    Thank you for the great comments, always love the lalalalalala on this classic!!!
    Truly a conversation starter!!!
    I simply love America!
    You are so awesome, my friend!
    With love and respect,
    Rene

• @LinearLineman said:
    I dislike this song only because it was played to death. But I like what you did, Rene and agree about the la Las.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @LinearLineman ,
    I am so refreshed with your "like", my friend.
    Your support is always loved, and I am so happy to be reading your great feedback!
    Once in a while, and in another format, is always a great thing for the ear.
    I have to agree with you, this classic is over-played to death, hahahaha!
    Stay well!!!
    Thank you!
    Warm regards,
    Rene

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I might have lost my cherry to this song. If not this one, maybe it was Miracles by Jefferson Starship. Could also have been that Jackson Brown album. You’d think I would remember!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Very nice comments, @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr !!!
    Hard to remember the specific songscape of the momentous occasion, but you clearly can describe the loveliness of it all!!!
    You are so appreciated, my friend!
    Here's some possible words from her:
    .... A Horse, indeed, with no name.....
    .... A Miracle .......
    .... Very brown ......

• @GeoTony said:
    I’ve been looking forward to listening to this… it didn’t disappoint. Another great track @ReneAsologuitar !

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi Tony,
    You are so awesome, and I am so glad to hear from you, "always" @GeoTony !!!
    Your wonderful words keep us all inspired.
    Love and respect,
    Rene

• @Montreal_Music said:
    You don't need a super complex chords progression to create a hit! Very good job Rene, fun to watch, as always.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hi @Montreal_Music ,
    You are absolutely correct, most hits have simple musical progressions, and this one is truly basic and soulful!!!
    This song might have been overplayed, but I simply love the melody, especially the harmony!!!
    Thank you so much, my friend!
    Stay well, and warm regards,
    Rene

• @Gavinski said:
    There was me all the time thinking that Neil Young wrote this. Lovely version Rene!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This is the time when NY and company were making great music of the seventies, and the melodies and vibes were simply amazing. I am with you 100%, as this song also remind me of Neil Young and his musicality in this song!!!
    The beat and the drive of this classic has Neil's spirit all the way!!!
    I did not even realize this until you stated it!!!
    You are so awesome, and so appreciated, @Gavinski !!!
    Love and respect,
    Rene

• @McD said:
    Can we do a poll and give that Horse a name? I'd vote for "Spot" of course for accuracy with the draft lyric.

++++++++++++++

"Spot" it is!!!
    I am so grateful for your imagination and creativity!!!
    Thank you for the cool things you do, @McD !!!
    You are "spot" on!!!
    With lots of love and respect,
    Rene

• @GeoTony said:
    🙏

Love!!!!!!!