Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fabfilter Twin 3

Comments

• @Gavinski said:

@ChimmyChungaFace said:
    Twin 3 isn’t being released fast enough. :#

Don't worry, I know of at least 2 other cool apps that will likely be released imminently to bide you over 😝

Any hint?

• This synth is so good, I love the analogue-ness ❤️

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    This synth is so good, I love the analogue-ness ❤️

But...

I have so many already and could not further reduce the list 😅😢

• @tja said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    This synth is so good, I love the analogue-ness ❤️

But...

I have so many already and could not further reduce the list 😅😢

😂 keep them all

Twin 3 is setting a new bar seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins some awards

The UI including the preset browser and sound quality is next level!

• edited February 2023

I’m a big fabfilter fan, but not the synth. It’s not wow at all, it’s more meh.
    This is my opinion, you don’t have to agree at all…but I have many synths on iOS that can do so much more, better.

What makes it worth buying? Enlighten me. I have never heard a fellow artist say to me…man that twin synth from fabfilter is the heat….I bought it for for Auria, but it got erased when I ditched Auria…so that’s thati reckon, and I never missed it.

But also keep in mind I have lots of hardware synths….such as iridium, peak, deepmind12, typhon, microfreak, hydrasynth, force, fantom 6 with all synth expansions, and osmose….so I’m speaking from a place where synths have to be Impressive

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I’m a big fabfilter fan, but not the synth. It’s not wow at all, it’s more meh.
    This is my opinion, you don’t have to agree at all…but I have many synths on iOS that can do so much more, better.

What makes it worth buying? Enlighten me. I have never heard a fellow artist say to me…man that twin synth from fabfilter is the heat….I bought it for for Auria, but it got erased when I ditched Auria…so that’s thati reckon, and I never missed it.

But also keep in mind I have lots of hardware synths….such as iridium, peak, deepmind12, typhon, microfreak, hydrasynth, force, fantom 6 with all synth expansions, and osmose….so I’m speaking from a place where synths have to be Impressive

If you’re into physical modeling things like Osmose it will definitely be hard for a non-mpe subtractive synth to compete, no matter how interesting the modulation options, that is for sure. I’m personally waiting for someone to make something as interesting as Plasmonic for iOS, and also don’t care massively for subtractive synths.

• I love Fabfilter stuff so might decide to get it, esp if included in the Creative Bundle at a discount. The sound quality seems top notch, but my nagging doubt is that the range of timbres is limited.

So it will come down to whether or not its sound quality and character has some special sauce that makes it a must buy, in the same way that AD Continua just screams Bladerunner and seems able to create big fat pads that are really juicy even though its oscillators are fairly basic too compared to some.

• edited February 2023

I’ve watched several YouTube videos on the desktop version - and there’s a few I saw where the reviewer was a bit underwhelmed with Twin3. But I think everyone would agree the filters are among the best of the best. Also the programming and modulation capabilities seem very robust. I think it looks cool - but wonder if those animations can be turned off on iPad - I’m sure they’ll suck away that processing.

I’m in the fence - it’s the same price as volcano on desktop - so it’ll be maybe 19.99 US for the app?? If they release it with an intro sale price id maybe spring for it... but I’ve been hoping the new Klevgrand Tomofon synth comes out soon - that one looks & sounds more interesting I think.

• It's great. I'll buy it for desktop but not iOS. Nice upgrade and pretty intuitive considering the bizarre interface.

• Taking a look at YouTube it seems a lot of people are pretty 'meh' about this, which is very unusual when it comes to vids on fabfilter

• I’ve had Twin 2 on the desk-top for years and never found it too exciting. There’s a lot of excellent competition in that ballpark. Feels like they’re resting on their laurels a bit. Hopefully more interesting updates to come.

• I've been test-driving the Twin 3 demo in the desktop and while the oscillators and such are pretty basic it's the filters and modulation options that click with me, especially the XLFO which is really bonkers and goes to '11' (500Hz) with optional keyboard tracking and can also do the duties of a step-sequencer and best of all, no practical limits to how many can be used at once until the CPU craps out :sunglasses:

To my knowledge it's one few synths (at least on iOS) that will do 4x over-sampling (Zeeon is another, Poison 202 defaults to 2x) and that really does add a bit of 'polish' to the overall sound.

It's highly likely that Twin 3 will be my 3rd purchase this year...

• edited February 2023

@scrape said:
    I’ve had Twin 2 on the desk-top for years and never found it too exciting. There’s a lot of excellent competition in that ballpark. Feels like they’re resting on their laurels a bit. Hopefully more interesting updates to come.

@Gavinski said:
    Taking a look at YouTube it seems a lot of people are pretty 'meh' about this, which is very unusual when it comes to vids on fabfilter

Agreed. In terms of sound, what I've heard from it doesn't compete with the better synths.
    I did love the semi-modular concept in Twin 2 and how modulation is done on the UI but the better sounding synths have long won me over.

But it's going to be a brand new app so by all means go for it 😅

• Everyone knows me by now I always find things to fix and nit-pick about in every single app (I would fail myself if I didn't).

In Twin 3's case it would one-shot mode for the XLFO and being able to loop between selected points and optional exit of the loop on note off would be a bonus. (ie. combine the LFO and Envelope in to one modulator unit).

The envelope could be 'multi-point' and use a similar 'Glide' option as the XLFO to allow 'jumps' between levels and.

In short a 'combined' LFO / Envelope is the way to go for creating flexible modulation generator...

Tempo-synced pre-delay for the reverb as well as tempo-sync for the phaser/flanger/chorus speeds could be nice.

And well it could be handy to 'zoom' the view for the XLFO and Envelope editors for more precise editing.

Even with these 'things' it's a pretty nice synth to tweak and doesn't take too long to get in-to.

Cheers!

• edited February 2023

I have to admit I watched vids and was pretty meh’ed myself. But I know it’ll be more fun when I can get my hands on it. Ridiculous the amount of people who can’t make a concise video. It’s like they download the synth and can’t wait to learn anything before hitting record.

• If it's the filters that stand out, they are most likely the same as Volcano 3, so maybe we can feed our favourite synths through Volcano instead to get the best of both worlds?

• qqqqqq
    edited February 2023

To me this sounds better than any other subtractive synth for iOS. The ability to use volcano filters polyphonically and the preset-system make it very tempting. Especially if its part of the creative bundle. The timbre is limited but it seems the best on iOS for analog-style sounds.

The main thing making me pause is the interface, which I don't actually LOVE with iOS. I like to map AUv3 parameters into Drambo if possible, and I'm not sure if that'll work well alongside the presets + the modulations being so open ended.

• Kinda surprised FabFilter didn't add any kind bit-crushed/decimator into Twin 3...
    ...maybe they just assume that everyone has their Saturn for those duties.

Also I don't like the fact that the envelope output can not be flipped (ie. it always starts from 0 to 1 and not 1 to 0).
    You can apply negative modulation amount but it's the 'source' that needs flipping (ie. instead of the envelope always going from 0 to 1 it optionally go from 1 to 0).

It's these kinds of quirks that make me appreciate Drambo even more...

• Drambo is the gift that keeps on giving

• I think the only thing meh about Twin 3 is that it has not yet been released on iOS.

• Been playing around with the Twin 3 demo for a couple of (almost 3) hours today.
    ...It's quite good but doesn't have that 'essential' or 'must have' feel to it.

The best parts of the whole synth are the XLFO and Filters.

• edited February 2023

@Samu said:
    Been playing around with the Twin 3 demo for a couple of (almost 3) hours today.
    ...It's quite good but doesn't have that 'essential' or 'must have' feel to it.

The best parts of the whole synth are the XLFO and Filters.

I have a feeling the bare bones UI (seriously? You gotta include the effects on the main GUI to fill up all that space?) and requirement for a bit of imagination to create modulations will turn off a fair amount of people.I’ll still buy it and enjoy it, but it’s obvious plenty of others have “caught up” to Fabfilter at this point and now they’re just another one among the best, instead of THE best.

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something about USING this new generation of FF UIs is less pleasing than the previous, despite the aesthetics being much improved and modernized. Somehow they got a little clunky and bloated but at the same time didn’t add as many improvements as the clutter would suggest. The overall result is one of slight disappointment.

• @oat_phipps said:

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something about USING this new generation of FF UIs is less pleasing than the previous, despite the aesthetics being much improved and modernized. Somehow they got a little clunky and bloated but at the same time didn’t add as many improvements as the clutter would suggest. The overall result is one of slight disappointment.

Yeah it's a tricky situation...

There are a few things I miss in Twin 3 (Like multi-stage envelopes, or one-shot mode for the XLFO) which after a while becomes quite annoying especially since we're talking software with artificial limitations.

The 'filter graph' in the middle is a total mess with the offset knobs to offset the different filters in case the values overlap which happens easily considering one can use 4 filters at once.

My fear is that Twin 3 will become just another 'preset player' as the editing process is far from intuitive...

But time will tell where things go :sunglasses:

• edited February 2023

@Samu said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah it's a tricky situation...

There are a few things I miss in Twin 3 (Like multi-stage envelopes, or one-shot mode for the XLFO) which after a while becomes quite annoying especially since we're talking software with artificial limitations.

The 'filter graph' in the middle is a total mess with the offset knobs to offset the different filters in case the values overlap which happens easily considering one can use 4 filters at once.

My fear is that Twin 3 will become just another 'preset player' as the editing process is far from intuitive...

But time will tell where things go :sunglasses:

While the xLFO modulations are quite flexible, the mere fact that you have to create and fiddle with strength and maintain so many modulations for even a basic synth patch with say a mod wheel opening the filter and a slight vibrato, that it seems more tedious than other synths, with the end result not really differentiating from any other synth.

And I don’t like the fancy UI blurring they do to semi-hide the modulations and their paths and amounts, and I personally have no use for the macro sliders. They’ve come a long way from “what you see is what you get”. Now it’s trending towards “you see a lot of 2023 pretty covering up 2017-level functionality”.

• I definitely am Pro-Fabfilterian...but, Same for me - i have Had the twin2 for 12 years and there are so many better synths. And than I Heard...new twin ist 'round the Corner....and it followed...this! I'm "decently" disappointed! I really expected so much more to come true, but no Magic for me 😢 I Hope that a Future Update makes it a magic precise but inaccurate scissors with countless random access points 🤔

• I might get it for iOS but desktop price is a no. I can do far more complex things in Drambo or VCV.

• edited February 2023

It still blows my mind that they thought the number of taps section in Timeless 3 was both important and valuable enough to take up half of the main visual UI, so that the fab filter section is scrunched into the other half. “Let’s give the impression our new small addition is HUGE”.

There. That’s been pissing me off for 2 years. Timeless 2 was my favorite effect ever and they made it unfun to use.

• “…shortly after the normal release!”

I wish Fabfilter wasn’t a liar.

• edited February 2023

this thing sounds absolutely amazing, jaws on floor.. can’t wait to have it on my iPad

• @dendy said:
    this thing sounds absolutely amazing, jaws on floor.. can’t wait to have it on my iPad

This is what I feel too!
    I see a lot of naysayers and underwhelmed reviews, but I feel like this synth has got “special sauce”. I actually like the UI too ❤️