Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reclaimed 5GB of space by restoring iOS

2»

Comments

• @fjcblanco - I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. The APK of the app in the backup contains whatever personal save files you had in the app's documents folder when you backed it up.

• Thanks, @Coloobar. I'll try to explain better:

I have in Audioshare/Documents folder, several folders (or files) with, for example, all the loops from iMPC, the free pack from iMaschine, etc. You can figure out this folder is huge (almos 3 Gb).

The question is, if I do an iCloud backup, Audioshare needs 3 Gb?

• I'm not sure how iCloud behaves, actually. I backup to my laptop. It seems like iClould should back up your personal data files only, and not the whole app with it. In your case, yes, I think it would try to backup the whole 3GB to iCloud.

• Thanks. I'm afraid this is right...so I do the backups to my laptop as well.

• If the data is something that comes with the app, or can be purchased from within the app, then it's stored on Apple's Cloud, not yours. Just like all the apps really. Only your own personal data goes towards your iCloud limit.

• edited September 2014

in my case I was not able to get something out of my backups. I tried some demo software on Windows, but it's quite expensive, and even failed to show the data I need.

I think it's not worth the time trying to recover my synth presets, manuals, and notes. Better start from scratch. It was a mistake not to save each and every preset with iFunbox before the backup/erase/restore process.

• I dont use icloud. I dont want my data in servers I have no control over. They make it next to impossible for a moron like me to figure out how to minimize the amount of space i use and I dont want to subscribe to shit . I dont want my data in a server in the usa either , fact its the last place in the west I would want my data. For people who want cloud storage, hosting and or cloud computing I recommend HETZNER in germany. Certainly not a streamlined backup service but a good company with halfway decent privacy and super stability.

I am looking for software which can aid me in my backups without making a mess of my structure. I have a need to detect duplicate files and keep only the newest and perhaps the original.

Im also looking for a way to force ios to crop destructive edits and dump the cropped data! Ive realized lately that ios is really convoluted in the way it manages files with the huge list of data and edits and faking locations of files…. Im not sure zi even understand how it works but it seems like they save the original file then tack on a list of notes of all edits rather than actually making the edit. And when I shoot a 5 min video and cut it down to 30sec im not certain how to dump all that extra data.

• Emptying the trash in AudioShare can free up a surprising amount of space as well if you have a good few in there.

• edited September 2021

@Cyp3 said:
    Im also looking for a way to force ios to crop destructive edits and dump the cropped data! Ive realized lately that ios is really convoluted in the way it manages files with the huge list of data and edits and faking locations of files…. Im not sure zi even understand how it works but it seems like they save the original file then tack on a list of notes of all edits rather than actually making the edit. And when I shoot a 5 min video and cut it down to 30sec im not certain how to dump all that extra data.

I believe the mechanism you describe only applies to photos and videos edited by the Photos app. It is meant to allow unlimited undo of edit changes. The only way I know is to share the edited file to storage in another app (Save to Files and select location). Then Save the file back to Photos, and delete the original file. Alternatively, you can use a non-Apple editor that does not support undo, and creates a new file each time the document is saved. I use the free Pixlr to edit photos, and it does that.

I don't believe you'll find any automated backup/archiving application that reads your mind regarding which files, from which apps, to save. However, both GoodReader and FE File Explorer Pro let you place files in a certain "Folder" that will be automatically synced with a server of your choice. Not sure if they'd support HETZNER, however.

Edit: Looks like Hetzner supports WebDAV, which both GoodReader and File Explorer can sync with. So, you'd just put the files in the appropriate Sync folder and they'd be automatically pushed to the cloud. I do this with Box and GoodReader.

• edited September 2021

I love seeing someone bump a random post I started 7 years ago and totally forgot about :tongue: