Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha Pacifica - Virtual Guitar Addon for BM2 (update v5)

edited March 2013 in General App Discussion

Hey All,

Giving this sucker to you guys. I'm only releasing this on the Audiobus forum. If you want to share it with someone please send them here, even if they hate forums. lol Here is all the info you'll need, taken from the internal text file.

Intro:
Welcome to the Yamaha Pacifica virtual electric guitar addon for Beat Maker 2. I designed this addon for anyone who wants to add a realistic electric guitar to their project, have complete control over techniques, Amps and effects but not have the skill/time/availability to play a real guitar. The guitar is sampled dry which means no amp, no effects, no eq... Just as if you had plugged the guitar into your iPhone, iPod or iPad directly. Each keyboard key has been assigned 7 common techniques that an electric guitarists uses, heavy Palm Muting, Open strum, Hammer on, Pull off, Vibrato, Pitch Harmonic, and light Palm Mute. This addon was designed to be used with Audiobus and although you can use BM2's internal effects, I will only be giving this away on the Audiobus forum. If you'd like to share this with a friend please have them come and get it from the Audiobus forum. http://forum.audiob.us/

Contents:
Yamaha Pacifica - Electric Lead: A dry sampe set toned to be used for distorted Rhythm and Lead
Yamaha Pacifica - Electric Lead -3: same thing transposed 3 octaves lower
Yamaha Pacifica - Acoustic: A dry sample set toned to be used clean or acoustic
Yamaha Pacifica - Acoustic -3: same thing transposed 3 octaves lower
example content: Example project and example midi files

Install:
Move folder 'Yamaha Pacifica BM2' to your DropBox
Open BM2
navigate to dropbox import
Copy folder 'Yamaha Pacifica BM2' into Beat Maker 2 'user content'

How to add a Guitar:
In BM2 Add a new instrument
Select keyboard sampler
Navigate to the folder 'Yamaha Pacifica BM2'
Load 'Yamaha Pacifica - Electric Lead - BM2.bmk2' or 'Yamaha Pacifica - Acoustic - BM2.bmk2'
OR Load 'Yamaha Pacifica - Electric Lead -3 - BM2.bmk2' or 'Yamaha Pacifica - Acoustic -3 - BM2.bmk2' for the transposed -3 octave versions

How to use (IMPORTANT):
Each note on the keyboard contains a sample from E3 to c#8.
In the transposed -3 octave version they range from E0 to D6.
Any lower or higher notes will have no effect.
There are 7 samples per key controlled by velocity
Write this down or print it, you'll need it.

Velocity - Effect:
0-20 - Palm Mute soft
21-40 - Pitch Harmonic vibrato
41-60 - Vibrato
61-80 - Pull off
81-99 - Hammer on
100-120 - Open
121-127 - Palm Mute Heavy

Getting started:
To better understand please load the included example project 'Yamaha Pacifica Example Setup.bm2' and look at the midi files and the velocity tails. There is also a few included midi files in the folder '/midi/'

Playability:
The Yamaha Pacifica for bm2 was designed to be programmed via the BM2 midi editor. It was not designed for live performances. If you would like to use this in a live performance try using a midi controller app such as "Arctic Keys" or "Nlog" and use the on screen keyboard that has velocity mapped to each key, top to bottom (thanks @PaulB). You can also use "Live Guitar" with the -3 octave transposed versions (thanks @SecretBaseDesign, @mgmg4871).
If you figure out more ways to play live, please let me know.
FOR BEST RESULTS please use with AUDIOBUS and AMPKIT/JAMUP

Example Song:
Here is a short example song. It is a 'render' of the included example project.

Download:
Click this pic, or chose a mirror.

Mirror 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp58ir2ih6y624i/Yamaha Pacifica BM2 v5.zip
Mirror 2 Canada: http://ryan-hemeon.is-a-geek.com/files/Yamaha Pacifica BM2 v5.zip

Update from v4 to v5:
This is only for people who had version 4 and don't need the samples again.

Mirror 1 update only: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z3umyubhk8eowh/Yamaha Pacifica BM2 v5 - updateonly.zip
Mirror 2 update only Canada: http://ryan-hemeon.is-a-geek.com/files/Yamaha Pacifica BM2 v5 - updateonly.zip

Update V5:
Fixed: one palm mute sample in wrong key
added: -3 octave versions of both instruments for use with live guitar and other Guitar controllers

Thanks guys,
Any questions or problems please let me know right away

Comments

• Thks for the info @Ryan, but I don't have any room on my Dropbox account. Gotta figure some alternatives. Following you on Soundcloud. Good stuff!

• This is great. The example project demo sounds excellent. I haven't installed it yet but plan on doing so soon.

Thanks for putting this together and for making it free. I can imagine it was a lot of work.

• Thanks! It's very appreciated and the fact that its free and AB Exclusive! Thanks for the hard work put into it. I DL'd a few .instr packs off your site the other day.

• Wow. This is great. I really, really like your example song. I think I might need to buy beatmaker now...

• @funjunkie27 I think you might be able to use the wifi server thing. I only used dropbox. It's 53.6megs unzipped so not a huge hit. Maybe you can make a new dropbox account?

@Keebo @JMSexton Thank you. The reason it is and HAS to be free is that the samples I used were not recorded by me. It's a free download I found on the net a few years ago. Part of the terms of use is that you don't make money from them ( see README.txt for more info). So that cut the amount of work I actually had to do down a lot. Basically I just arranged them for BM2 for myself and thought it sounded so good that I should share with people on the forum, let the people that read the forum have something the others don't. :-) It took me about two days to put it all together and then another two days figuring out how to explain how to use them as best i could. This is really something that is for intermediate and advanced users only. If you've never used midi or a midi editor you'd probably be pretty lost. :-)

• go ryan! Thanks a lot for sharing.

• @Ryan - yeah..probably need to set up another account. Thanks for sharing!

• Very nice, Ryan! It's given me some ideas. You can of course play guitar patches with a guitar MIDI controller too....

(Hope it's ok to credit you on the vid -- if not, let me know, and I'll take it down).

• @SecretBaseDesign Hey that is awesome! I actually just bought Live Guitar yesterday and hadn't even thought of that nor did I know it worked that way. Sweet!

• edited March 2013

Hey Ryan, nice work. One problem I'm having is the keyboard register. It seems too high in register. If you look at the internal guitars in BM2 they are more like mid register. The reason I noticed this, is trying to use my midi guitar it only sounds one string. Any advise?

• I had to transpose the MIDI up three octaves in Live Guitar to pull the notes into range (this is one of the controls in the LG MIDI connection panel). Also, I'm noticing one of the samples seems to be mapped to the wrong pitch. But now, I'm curious, and I'm going to have to spend some time pulling apart the BM2 instruments!

• Thank you so much Ryan !
    I've been reading all of you since the beginning but never subscribed till now. This was a good reason to do so.
    As it's already been said, you guys are the best.

So thanks again Ryan, and hi to you all (readers, posters, developers, and of course Michael and Sebastian).

• @mgmg4871 @SecretBaseDesign You are right. I think it might be mapped a full octave higher then natural key. The sample at E3 would be a 7 string guitar tuned way down and the sample at E4 is natural open low E. As I said i kind of thought there wouldn't be a way to use these live it wasn't an issue, now that i'm sure it is possible i might have to release a octave corrected version. @mgmg4871 Is there not a setting on the guitar to transpose octave up or down? @secretbasedesign Should i make it -4 octaves from what it is now or is just the one fine?

@Oingo That's great! I was hoping it'd work this way. Welcome!

@syrupcore @Andrew Thanks guys :-)

• @Secretbasedesign I found the incorrectly pitched sample and fixed it. It was just one of the palm mutes. Thank you.. I'll update it shortly.

• I think if you drop it down three octaves, everything should sound right (I'm transposing my MIDI up by 3 octaves -- the max that LG supports), and it sounds right.

On the LG fretboard, different strings are sent on different channels, so that you can map the strings to different instruments (bs16-i FTW!). I'll hack something into LG so that you can set up different parts of the chording interface to map to different MIDI instruments and patches (play Animoog on the front, and Thumbjam at the back, or something like that).

• @Ryan thanks for your response. There is an octave setting on my midi guitar. Not the easiest menu to access though. If you decide to do another version, might I suggest you open one of the guitar samples in BM2 and check their mapping. Theirs seems to be in perfect position.

• Just updated it. @SecretBaseDesign @mgmg4871 see the original post up top. There is a update only version so you dont have to get the samples again.

Thanks guys

• @Ryan Thanks man. Fast work. Good to be on this forum with all you geeks. Lol

• @Ryan just tested it on my midi guitar. It's perfect. Thanks again.

• @mgmg4871 lol sweet. No probs man. :-)

• Just got this. Thanks Ryan, good job, really appreciated

• No problem @Ian Thanks for checking it out. :-)

• What a cool thing, Ryan. Thanks.

• Thanks man. No problem. :-)

• Excellent, thank you! :D

I just picked up JamUp Pro XT and am happy to find more good guitars to use with it!