Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• edited February 2023

Sounds pretty good to me. Curious what our expert @LinearLineman thinks if he has a go at it?

jason Is there a way to turn of the heavy reverb sustain which is a bit of false advertising (i.e everything sounds better with reverb)? I like to be able to choose my own plugins to a dry signal. :)

Jason, you underscore on each side of your name makes a built in html call for italics. Hal should have informed you bout that.

• Wow, nice midi song demo, imagine how many hours of trying was needed to be able play like this!

• jason said:

@Pxlhg said:
    Sounds pretty good to me. Curious what our expert @LinearLineman thinks if he has a go at it?

jason Is there a way to turn of the heavy reverb sustain which is a bit of false advertising (i.e everything sounds better with reverb)? I like to be able to choose my own plugins to a dry signal. :)

Jason, you underscore on each side of your name makes a built in html call for italics. Hal should have informed you bout that.

Do you mean the videos?

Generally, it is most likely not reverb, but (emulated) string resonance, which often is mismatched with 'reverb'. (In fact 'string resonance is a kind of reverberation (spring reverb technology) too.) Tip: Try to teake the 'string resonance' to zero.
    Sorry: The sound samples and videos are all somewhat older.
    ps: It is a Concert Grand, that conceptionally requires appropriate ambience. It is definitely not an intimidate piano. None in our series actually is.

No, I haven't seen the videos, I'm trying it out in both stand alone and just now in AUM. I think there is a bug where note 62 (D3?) shifts the pan depending on velocity, could be cool but once you touched it, it goes to a hard left on release. :D

• jason said:

@Pxlhg said:
    No, I haven't seen the videos, I'm trying it out in both stand alone and just now in AUM. I think there is a bug where note 62 (D3?) shifts the pan depending on velocity, could be cool but once you touched it, it goes to a hard left on release. :D

Which Model??
    I will check this.

All of them. I use an M-Audio Keyboard and iPad 11 (M1) latest iOS if that helps.

• jason said:

@Pxlhg said:

jason said:

@Pxlhg said:

Which Model??
    I will check this.

All of them. I use an M-Audio Keyboard and iPad 11 (M1) latest iOS if that helps.

Is it reconstructable with the onscreen keyboard?
    Sound like a MIDI message mess up.

When I try the onscreen kb the settings interface (i.e the one with knobs, pan and resonance etc.) pops up over it. I though it didn't work actually. This goes for both stand alone and AUV3

• I’m a fan of this one! Been on the beta for a while. Definitely worth it at that price, I’d say.

• jason said:

@Pxlhg said:

jason said:

@Pxlhg said:

jason said:

@Pxlhg said:

Which Model??
    I will check this.

Is it reconstructable with the onscreen keyboard?
    Sound like a MIDI message mess up.

When I try the onscreen kb the settings interface (i.e the one with knobs, pan and resonance etc.) pops up over it. I though it didn't work actually. This goes for both stand alone and AUV3

No. I meant AUMs onscreen keys.

Oh! Sorry. No with that the pan knob remains in position.

• jason said:
    So this is quite strange then.

If you can't reproduce it, it certainly is.

jason said:
    OFFICIAL STATEMENT:

We have to applolgize!
    The release was not planned for being made today (but for pre-ordering).
    HAL just pressed the wrong buttons in the AppStore. ^^

HAL: I hear you, Dave.

Aha, I see! Just to be clear: I am on the TestFlight version.

• jason said:
    @Pxlhg : Could you place a MIDI monitor PRIOR the Superior? So we can see what there is coming in from the controller.

That's how I got note 62 in the first place (MidiSpy by Kai Aras)

• jason said:
    @Pxlhg : Could you place a MIDI monitor PRIOR the Superior? So we can see what there is coming in from the controller.

I did a restart and now I can't reproduce it. Soo very weird. Must have been something on my end then .. (but how, what!?)

• jason said:
    MIDI is always ghosty. ^^

Yeah well, I apologise for that unnecessary ghost hunt. : (and I have no HAL to blame, hmm should get one ;) )

• Looping midi files would be nice....👍 😉

• Nice one! Can you implement double tap to reset parameters?

It sounds good, it super light 170MB, and it has a lot of parameters! Good job!

• jason said:
    ps: It is a Concert Grand, that conceptionally requires appropriate ambience. It is definitely not an intimidate piano.

I regret to hear that, maestro. I would have been mildly interested in an intimidate piano. 👊😉

• My room is 4m long but there is also bed, but the price of this Grand fit to my pocket ;)

• @Pxlhg said:

The best way to know if a library sounds good with a piano is to listening the 3 lowest notes and the 3 highest notes of the piano.

• Let me be the first person to ask how this compares to the old faithful Ravenscroft…

• Someone set up blind comparison of purepiano and ravenscroft a while back. I hope they will do the same for this piano. The piano seems pretty good. To my ear, though, the hammer attack in the posted demos sounds a bit muted/soft compared to a sampled piano.

• jason said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@Pxlhg said:

The best way to know if a library sounds good with a piano is to listening the 3 lowest notes and the 3 highest notes of the piano.

HAL : I always compose merely with these 6 notes either.

Nice strawman!

• @alesis said:
    Le bug

That piano app has an interesting...er, "tone". :smiley:

• @Simon said:

@alesis said:
    Le bug

I've had plenty of hanging note issues with KB-1 in the past with various apps to a degree that I've deleted the app...
    @alesis Does the AUM keyboard behave the same?

Even Atom 2 sometimes suffers from this as it seems to prefer sending Velocity 0 instead of Note Off and if the target app doesn't support both then, yep more hanging notes...

I think this all boils down to go 'Note OFF' is handled. Some controllers just send velocity zero while others send note-off...
    ...if the instrument/app doesn't support both the results are more than likely hanging notes...

• Could be one of those 'interesting' iPadOS bugs as well...
    ...so far iPadOS16.3 has been a smooth ride when it comes to all AUv3's I've thrown at it.

• In general 'bug reports' here in the forum lack so many details in order to allow proper troubleshooting.
    The bare minimum should be iPad Model, iPadOS version and App version...

• edited February 2023

@Samu said:

@Simon said:

@alesis said:
    Le bug

I've had plenty of hanging note issues with KB-1 in the past with various apps to a degree that I've deleted the app...
    @alesis Does the AUM keyboard behave the same?

Even Atom 2 sometimes suffers from this as it seems to prefer sending Velocity 0 instead of Note Off and if the target app doesn't support both then, yep more hanging notes...

I think this all boils down to go 'Note OFF' is handled. Some controllers just send velocity zero while others send note-off...
    ...if the instrument/app doesn't support both the results are more than likely hanging notes...

Yes, with AUM keyboard the same bug, so it's not KB-1 bug.

iOS 16.3
    ipad pro 12 M1 2tb

jason said:
    It really would be nice (and somewhat more fair), if the poster of that initial ‚bug‘ video actually could say something more to this, than rather pushing the ‚Death for this Pig!“ action.

Also it would have been somehow better to report this to me at first, rather than scaring the world just with that kind of ‚word-less horror‘ inside the release thread…

Thank you very much. 🤬

So if someone can re-construct the issue, with detailed specs of the used hardware and os version, this would really be helpful.

Sorry, didn't know that you are the dev. Very like this product, just want it to be stable and "superior" like in the name.
    My wishes for future updates: add pedal noise level knob and felt dampers noise level knob

• edited February 2023

just read the manual, Im interested in try body parameter, ambience and decay and release. Comparising video with ravencroft is nice, as it is huge difference. there is main question for cpu usage - I understand it is lower than other samples pianos… np disk streaming and no huge memory load. so my personal interesting is 👍 for sound / parameters and for used resource / modeling instead sampling.

in few days I should be able to buy this and do real test 😄

• edited February 2023

demos are deep and so much different each other. It will be pleasure to get all suites and collections, to get familiar with this sonic possibilities, included music libraries, so many models. So this first app is just first part of the series. without popcorn Im interested (better than netflix). especially demo nr5 jax excelsior, and nr 9 Empireor. thank you for all this information.
    EDIT: demo nr 8 also is pleasure to listen

• fast load time! on iphone7 no problem with cpu, 20 included sounds covers wide spectrum of need * parameters = a lot timbres (from staccato with resonance, bright or dark, to portato, fluid simple changing rotary parameters). The sound is like gold, nicely separation of each note but without syntetic feeling. No problem with strange noises.
    And all of this is said only after playing on keyboard in AUM on iphone7, so real test will be at home on ipad and 88 hammer keyboard.

In compare to excelent spunds available on DECENT SAMPLER, Jax series/collections opens new doors, light usage, fast loading, many parameters. It is great to have choice, and sometimes we have no choice but only use what is possible when cpu/memory or disk is short, but there is also sound.

somebody asked for attack of the grand , yes I clearly hear attack of hammers, I dont know (yet) why I loved this sound and attack, probably because it is fresh, and different approach to the piano on ipad/ios.

• edited February 2023

@szczyp said:
    fast load time! on iphone7 no problem with cpu, 20 included sounds covers wide spectrum of need * parameters = a lot timbres (from staccato with resonance, bright or dark, to portato, fluid simple changing rotary parameters). The sound is like gold, nicely separation of each note but without syntetic feeling. No problem with strange noises.
    And all of this is said only after playing on keyboard in AUM on iphone7, so real test will be at home on ipad and 88 hammer keyboard.

In compare to excelent spunds available on DECENT SAMPLER, Jax series/collections opens new doors, light usage, fast loading, many parameters. It is great to have choice, and sometimes we have no choice but only use what is possible when cpu/memory or disk is short, but there is also sound.

somebody asked for attack of the grand , yes I clearly hear attack of hammers, I dont know (yet) why I loved this sound and attack, probably because it is fresh, and different approach to the piano on ipad/ios.

If you could post some demo based on a live play with your hammer action it would be great.
    I also hear a bit of "sharp hammer attack" on the midi demos..
    BTW rav (that I own) seems to me really realistic but I am also a fan of pianoteq (hopefully soon on ios) , that to my understanding seems to be more close to the concept of the Jax modeled app.
    Thx!