Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Working on Spidericemidas Presets for Copperhead Synth

I’m currently working on a series of patch banks for Copperhead synth by 4Pockets.

Really enjoying this one. Dead easy to pick up and program. It’s got some really sweet spots and some nice warmth and fuzziness. Paul has added a lot of great features since its release. Especially loving the new String Machine OSCs and the onboard sequencer is now a modulator for various parameters. Lots more features still being added too! Love the sound of this thing. It’s got me pretty hooked!

First bank will be arped and sequenced sounds. Next bank after that will be Pads and Atmos.

Still working on the first preset bank. Hoping to finish and drop on the forum here soon. Here’s a few quick audio demos of some of the patches. Each demo is recorded straight from Copperhead, only one instance of one patch running each time, no external fx only what’s coming out of Copperhead. I’m just playing keys and chords randomly on the screen keyboard to trigger the onboard sequencer, just for the purposes of audio demo.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/7RVLRfKwwE44XRxu7

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/fBXPi4uRJG4eKPEm6

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/UaG59QDFW6AizLwX7

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/faWd5BHGKZW3g9LG8

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/GVUxqQ9P4iqgAf638

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/fN8FuLs9runT9Luo8

Comments

• Mr. Midas. Do you have any idea just how many synths I’ve had to purchase — solely on the fact you created presets for it???

Welp, there goes another perfectly good $9 🤗

• @SNystrom said:
    Mr. Midas. Do you have any idea just how many synths I’ve had to purchase — solely on the fact you created presets for it???

Ditto. Your presets are sublime @Spidericemidas. How soon might we see this bank of presets?

• Awesome. Can’t wait.

• OK... Copperhead purchased.

It appears to not have any speedups for selecting Presets. I can manually added Program Change values for presets in AUM and I tried that but it doesn't seem to work.

I guess I'll need to find Favorites and set them... When the @Spidericemidas presets arrive I'll probably just use them. I must have a dozens synths with this inefficient preset selection setup.

Any clues I missed appreciated... while we wait.

• I wasn't going to get Copperhead until I heard your patches. Another synth to the arsenal. Thanks

• Same here. I wasn't planning on buying Copperhead but I guess I'll have to now... :)

• If they're as good as the ones you did for Nambu, can't wait!

• @Wyvern said:
    If they're as good as the ones you did for Nambu, can't wait!

This bank will be quite different to the Nambu bank. It's a bank of sounds for arps and sequencing more like the sequenced sounds I did for Kaspar, D1, Synth One and Lagrange. But to my ears, Copperhead sounds much better than all of those synths. It seems warmer, grittier and quite hefty.

Then I'll get to work on a bank of Pads and Atmos sounds for it.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

This bank will be quite different to the Nambu bank. It's a bank of sounds for arps and sequencing more like the sequenced sounds I did for Kaspar, D1, Synth One and Lagrange. But to my ears, Copperhead sounds much better than all of those synths. It seems warmer, grittier and quite hefty.

Even better! Your work is excellent. Thanks.

• @Prog1967 said:
    I wasn't going to get Copperhead until I heard your patches. Another synth to the arsenal. Thanks

Well worth spending time with Copperhead. In addition to the standard waveforms, it's got user-defined waveforms and new String Machine oscillators which really open up interesting and unique possibilities. The String Machine oscillators are brilliant. There's a number of parameters to tweak for those which take the sound in unusual and surprising directions. You can definitely get a lot more interesting tones out of it than you can with the usual synths and their standard waveforms. Especially mixing a standard OSC with a user-defined waveform or a String Machine OSC.
    Personally I much prefer this one to say something like Trooper for example.

The onboard sequencer can be used to modulate various parameters in different ways at once!

• @andowrites said:

@SNystrom said:
    Mr. Midas. Do you have any idea just how many synths I’ve had to purchase — solely on the fact you created presets for it???

Ditto. Your presets are sublime @Spidericemidas. How soon might we see this bank of presets?

I've got 53 sequenced patches done so far. Copperhead is providing a lot of inspiration and fun, so there's still quite a bit more to be pulled out for this bank style. Maybe a few more weeks at least because Paul keeps adding more amazing features!
    Then I'll release it and get started on Pads and Atmos sounds for it.

Proving to be a really interesting and nice sounding synth!

• @lasselu said:
    Same here. I wasn't planning on buying Copperhead but I guess I'll have to now... :)

It's got a really nice sound. Very easy to program but has extra depth and complexity with the modulation options. The user OSCs and String Machine OSCs really take it beyond your standard synths.

• Looking forward to this. Was unsure about buying copperhead as have too many synths, but I took the plunge and it’s great. Lovely sound and dead easy to programme. Fits in the mix nicely

• @nickpett said:
    Looking forward to this. Was unsure about buying copperhead as have too many synths, but I took the plunge and it’s great. Lovely sound and dead easy to programme. Fits in the mix nicely

Same here at first. Didn't think I needed anymore synths! But Paul's been busy adding more OSC types and really cool features to the onboard sequencer as a modulator. You can get a large variety of interesting sounds out of the SM OSCs if you tap on them twice to pop up their parameters. Take your time with the SM OSCs as their parameters don't change in realtime. They take a brief second to generate a wavetable each time you tweak their parameters. But it's well worth exploring them as they can take the synth way beyond what the usual waveforms offer on standard synths.

To me it sounds pretty warm, hefty and nicely spicey. I'll be using it a lot.

• @nickpett said:
    Looking forward to this. Was unsure about buying copperhead as have too many synths, but I took the plunge and it’s great. Lovely sound and dead easy to programme. Fits in the mix nicely

I’ve been wanting a new synth - but didn’t think copperhead was all that intriguing. @Spidericemidas - now you have me on the fence. How is this it at making bassy, bubbly, droney evolving pads?

• Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes…. Did I say YEEESSS! Super excited. I’m enjoying Copperhead, and I can’t wait to see what you do with it. Plus all the inspiration your patches will surely provide.

Cheers @Spidericemidas

Im comfortable enough to admit it.. I love you @Spidericemidas lol

• I felt the same way at first too @nickpett and @Spidericemidas but it went on a great sale, like $5.99 or $6.99, a little while ago, I watched a couple PaulTheMusicMan, aka the developer, YT videos on it, and I decided it was worth a try. Once I started using it I was definitely happy with the purchase. It sounds great, just like you described @Spidericemidas

• edited February 2023

@Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

Better than Nambu, Kaspar, D1, Synth One and Lagrange? All of them? That's quite an endorsement. What about Trooper or TAL-U-NO-LX?

• @NeuM said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

Better than Nambu, Kaspar, D1, Synth One and Lagrange? All of them? That's quite an endorsement. What about Trooper or TAL-U-NO-LX?

Well....It's hard to describe, and in the end it's a matter of personal taste and also down to how we individually translate frequencies. Same as colour. I see completely different colours to most 'normal' sighted people as I can't physically translate or distinguish certain light frequencies especially when a few are mixed together. If I painted something I thought looked good, other people may likely think omg what a weird choice of colours! But to my ears, Copperhead seems to have some guts and forward presence. There's some nice smooth fuzzy tones, weighty, but also punchy. Can be nicely gritty without sounding too rough. Definitely has its own sound character which happens to really please my ears.
    I'm not moved much by Trooper, personally. It's a good traditional synth of course. Copperhead is more interesting and more experimental with its user-defined OSCs and String Machine OSCs providing a lot more scope for unique sound designs. A hellava lot of modulation options too with the onboard sequencer.
    Yeah Tal-Uno has good sound for sure, can't really do that much with it that doesn't already exist, though.
    Copperhead is producing sounds that seem quite alive and organic for something that is 100% digital. Definitely surprised by it.

• Excited @Spidericemidas! > @Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

Well....It's hard to describe, and in the end it's a matter of personal taste and also down to how we individually translate frequencies. Same as colour. I see completely different colours to most 'normal' sighted people as I can't physically translate or distinguish certain light frequencies especially when a few are mixed together. If I painted something I thought looked good, other people may likely think omg what a weird choice of colours! But to my ears, Copperhead seems to have some guts and forward presence. There's some nice smooth fuzzy tones, weighty, but also punchy. Can be nicely gritty without sounding too rough. Definitely has its own sound character which happens to really please my ears.
    I'm not moved much by Trooper, personally. It's a good traditional synth of course. Copperhead is more interesting and more experimental with its user-defined OSCs and String Machine OSCs providing a lot more scope for unique sound designs. A hellava lot of modulation options too with the onboard sequencer.
    Yeah Tal-Uno has good sound for sure, can't really do that much with it that doesn't already exist, though.
    Copperhead is producing sounds that seem quite alive and organic for something that is 100% digital. Definitely surprised by it.

You're really making me want to go back to this, thanks for that. It came out around the same time as a lot of other apps and I didn't dive deep at all. Is it just me or has the flood of apps been overwhelming af these past months? Desktop devs especially seem to be in an insane rush to port their whole catalogues as quickly as possible 😂. Madness

• @Gavinski said:
    Excited @Spidericemidas! > @Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

You're really making me want to go back to this, thanks for that. It came out around the same time as a lot of other apps and I didn't dive deep at all. Is it just me or has the flood of apps been overwhelming af these past months? Desktop devs especially seem to be in an insane rush to port their whole catalogues as quickly as possible 😂. Madness

I can see why devs are doing this. It's an additional source of income, and with the cost of living issues, I don't think people are upgrading their hardware as often, and iOS can do a lot of things most people need. It wouldn't surprise me if desktop DAWs make the transition soon.

• Yes, I've been thinking the same. Everyone is feeling the pinch of the economic downturn, and anxiety about what the next years will be like. I'm very happy that devs are porting from desktop to ios, but they need to understand that this is mostly a hobbyist market and that consumers are feeling that same pinch.

The days of most people on this forum being able to buy every app that is released are gone. So when gsdsp - no diss, I absolutely love their stuff - release two pricy apps on the same day, I really have to scratch my head about what kind of marketing strategy that is. Same with Genuine Soundware. Ported too much too quickly and now have gone very quiet. I did gently suggest they slow down but it fell on deaf ears. If apps are ported at the kind of prices unfiltered audio went for as intro prices, ie 5 bucks a pop, it's not a problem at all. But for a dev to release 2 $20 apps on the same day is sheer madness to me. Would you agree?

@Wyvern said:

@Gavinski said:
    Excited @Spidericemidas! > @Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

I can see why devs are doing this. It's an additional source of income, and with the cost of living issues, I don't think people are upgrading their hardware as often, and iOS can do a lot of things most people need. It wouldn't surprise me if desktop DAWs make the transition soon.

• @Halftone said:

@nickpett said:

I’ve been wanting a new synth - but didn’t think copperhead was all that intriguing. @Spidericemidas - now you have me on the fence. How is this it at making bassy, bubbly, droney evolving pads?

I would say most likely yes. Definitely has a lot of bottom end. Thick and weighty. It's good for Pads. Lots of modulation options for evolving the sound over time. I haven't made many Pads with it yet as I'm working on sequenced sounds for this bank, but Pads and Atmos will be in the following bank.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I felt the same way at first too @nickpett and @Spidericemidas but it went on a great sale, like $5.99 or $6.99, a little while ago, I watched a couple PaulTheMusicMan, aka the developer, YT videos on it, and I decided it was worth a try. Once I started using it I was definitely happy with the purchase. It sounds great, just like you described @Spidericemidas

Paul's still adding more cool features. He's gonna haveta make a lot of videos to cover them all!

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes…. Did I say YEEESSS! Super excited. I’m enjoying Copperhead, and I can’t wait to see what you do with it. Plus all the inspiration your patches will surely provide.

Cheers @Spidericemidas

Im comfortable enough to admit it.. I love you @Spidericemidas lol

😄👍
    There's a lot of mileage to be had out of this one, I think. I was planning to get another Nambu bank started, but have been sidetracked by Copperhead as it's super quick and easy to work with but has loads of depth and complexity that somehow manages to still be quick and easy to access and grasp.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@NeuM said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@Wyvern said:

Love the detail in this response. Thanks.

• Christmas already @Spidericemidas 😉 Can’t wait for these 🙏🏼💗

• I went ahead and bought it. Haven’t really dug into it yet..

Noted it’s currently #20 on music apps charts - I wonder if this new of @Spidericemidas presets has caused that?

• @Halftone said:
    I went ahead and bought it. Haven’t really dug into it yet..

Noted it’s currently #20 on music apps charts - I wonder if this new of @Spidericemidas presets has caused that?

Must be, it was #248 when I bought it’s the other day in expectation of these presets. It’s a nice synth that didn’t seem to gain much traction when released but can sound quite unique. Really enjoying the sequencer and the string machine OSC. No idea what all the controls in that one does but it’s great for textured pad sounds.