Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

An Automation recorder/player

Hi everyone. I'm looking for an option to record my parameter changes in automations. do you have any tips which app would be helpful?

thanks.

Comments

• Drambo ( obviously )

• Another option (maybe even more obvious): Midi Tape Recorder

Here developer Geert Bevin demonstrates using it in AUM to record Animoog Z playing:

• @sigma79 said:
    Drambo ( obviously )

how would you use drambo to control the parameters of another app?

• @hes said:
    Another option (maybe even more obvious): Midi Tape Recorder

Here developer Geert Bevin demonstrates using it in AUM to record Animoog Z playing:

oh! i didnt know i could use it for that too. so I'll just use the other app as input for the midi tape recorder?

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

Wait.
    What I think I hear you saying is you want to turn knobs on an app and have those knob changes recorded? That's a different story.

With Drambo you would set up some knobs or faders to send MIDI out to the parameters of a synth or FX, and would record those knob or fader movements as automation in Drambo so that you could play them back later.

With Midi Tape Recorder you would send midi from another controller source, such as knobs on a midi controller through MTR then to the app to change it's parameters. MTR would record that MIDI for playback later.

If you want to be able to move knobs on a synth or FX and have those recorded, you need a host, such as Cubasis that can do that. Most plugins don't output anything that could be recorded by another app when you move their controls. Only the host can detect and record those, and not all can detect and record knob movements in the app.

If you host an app in Drambo, then you can map a knob to the control you want to automate. Then you can move the mapped knob and record it's movements. But as far as I know, you can't just move the control in the app itself and record its movements directly.

• @wim said:
    Wait.
    What I think I hear you saying is you want to turn knobs on an app and have those knob changes recorded? That's a different story.

With Drambo you would set up some knobs or faders to send MIDI out to the parameters of a synth or FX, and would record those knob or fader movements as automation in Drambo so that you could play them back later.

With Midi Tape Recorder you would send midi from another controller source, such as knobs on a midi controller through MTR then to the app to change it's parameters. MTR would record that MIDI for playback later.

If you want to be able to move knobs on a synth or FX and have those recorded, you need a host, such as Cubasis that can do that. Most plugins don't output anything that could be recorded by another app when you move their controls. Only the host can detect and record those, and not all can detect and record knob movements in the app.

If you host an app in Drambo, then you can map a knob to the control you want to automate. Then you can move the mapped knob and record it's movements. But as far as I know, you can't just move the control in the app itself and record its movements directly.

Thanks for the great answer.

I was thinking that there might be a way if the apps parameters were exposed. The idea was an app A that you’d map to the exposed parameters of the app B and then use app A to change those Parameters and record it in app A. Like a piano roll for other values than notes.
    Your Drambo solution seems close enough I guess. I just hope it doesn’t take away too much computing power.

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

@pmertens said:

@wim said:
    Wait.

I was thinking that there might be a way if the apps parameters were exposed. The idea was an app A that you’d map to the exposed parameters of the app B and then use app A to change those Parameters and record it in app A. Like a piano roll for other values than notes.
    Your Drambo solution seems close enough I guess. I just hope it doesn’t take away too much computing power.

I was partially incorrect about Drambo. Once you map a parameter, you can record the knob movements directly from the plugin.

• load the app.
    • tap "map", and move the control in the app. This should create a knob that you can see next to the module when you minimize the plugin.
    • now you can record knob movements directly in the plugin.

This should work for most plugins. Maybe not all though.

Drambo shouldn't add a whole lot of processing overhead as a plugin host. It's very efficient in general.

• @pmertens said:

If not Drambo, then that paragraph you wrote almost describes how you'd use MTR, just choose an App A midi controller app (e.g., Mozaic), map its knobs to parameters on App B, and insert MTR in between them to record the midi that you're sending from App A to App B.

• @wim said:

@pmertens said:

@wim said:
    Wait.

I was partially incorrect about Drambo. Once you map a parameter, you can record the knob movements directly from the plugin.

• load the app.
    • tap "map", and move the control in the app. This should create a knob that you can see next to the module when you minimize the plugin.

Drambo shouldn't add a whole lot of processing overhead as a plugin host. It's very efficient in general.

That’s great! Thanks!!!
    I’ll try it out now.

• edited February 2023

@hes said:

@pmertens said:

If not Drambo, then that paragraph you wrote almost describes how you'd use MTR, just choose an App A midi controller app (e.g., Mozaic), map its knobs to parameters on App B, and insert MTR in between them to record the midi that you're sending from App A to App B.

@hes said:

@pmertens said:

Thanks. I thought I could get away without connecting a midi Controler

• @pmertens said:

@wim said:

@pmertens said:

@wim said:
    Wait.

• load the app.

That’s great! Thanks!!!
    I’ll try it out now.

It works well! Sadly only in Drambo standalone but whatever.

Thanks again!