Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Isotope MIDI Keyboard by Jaewon Choi has been updated with auv3 support

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1667140170

Version 1.1.0:
New Feature - Element Beta

• Built-in sound engine Element is now included.
  • Versatile sound characteristics.
  • Element is available as an Audio Unit v3 plugin.

Description:

Isotope is an isomorphic MIDI keyboard app for iOS.

Isotope makes playing music fun and intuitive, while also making music theory more accessible.

Unlike traditional keyboard, Isotope's isomorphic grid layout is based on mathematical and geometrical properties of sound itself. When you play it, it's much more intuitive. When you want to learn about music, it shows how notes relate to one another.

Isomorphic Keyboard

• If the interval stays the same, the form of your hand stays the same. For instance, when you put your first finger on the C, third finger on the E and the second finger on the G, it's the C major chord. Now that your fingers are in a triangle, if you just go up by one row, now it becomes the F major chord.
  • Square-based isomorphic keyboards like Isotope resembles stringed instruments tuned in perfect 4th apart from one string to the next. Therefore, if you have an experience in playing stringed instruments like the guitar, the bass, the violin, or the cello, you will get learn to play Isotope quickly.

Element (Beta)

• Built-in Sound Engine for Isotope
  • Available as an Audio Unit v3 plugin
  • Element has a versatile sound characteristics resembles double bass and bass guitars in the lower range, electric piano in the mid range and woodwind in the higher frequency range.

Connectivity

• Supports MIDI (Garageband, Drambo, FL Studio Mobile etcs.)
  • MIDI over Bluetooth / USB (USB MIDI is only tested with macOS)

Usability

• Multi-window and Slide Over support on iPadOS
  • Velocity based on touch area and accelerometer

Customizability

• Row Interval adjustment
  • Fully customizable themes
  • Resizable buttons / app windows

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 16.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Has anyone tried this?

• I tried it.

It’s a standalone “keyboard” with a box-grid interface that sends out MIDI on a selectable channel… the channel selections go all the way to 128! (Note: channels above 16 are undefined. My Mozaic MIDI Monitor just shows incoming channel above 16 as channel 1. The 2 apps I tested did not see it that way).

There’s a new sound engine called “Element” in this update and it’s loadable as a sound engine called “Element” in DAW’s. The “Isotope” keyboard is NOT an AUv3 or IAA based app… only standalone.

This type of keyboard display is fun for playing patterns that are embedded in the rows and columns or by touching in circular patterns or laying down multiple fingers and moving that “structure” around.

You can use it in the overlay “split screen” mode over your favorite DAW.

• @McD said:
    I tried it.

It’s a standalone “keyboard” with a box-grid interface that sends out MIDI on a selectable channel… the channel selections go all the way to 128! (Note: channels above 16 are undefined. My Mozaic MIDI Monitor just shows incoming channel above 16 as channel 1. The 2 apps I tested did not see it that way).

There’s a new sound engine called “Element” in this update and it’s loadable as a sound engine called “Element” in DAW’s. The “Isotope” keyboard is NOT an AUv3 or IAA based app… only standalone.

This type of keyboard display is fun for playing patterns that are embedded in the rows and columns or by touching in circular patterns or laying down multiple fingers and moving that “structure” around.

Good sleuthing McD, @White might want to update his title. @HotStrange given that the actual keyboard itself is not auv3, just standalone, you'd likely be much better off buying Beat Pads which has a much prettier UI and is mpe compatible. And cheaper, and open source.

• @Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Good sleuthing McD, @White might want to update his title. @HotStrange given that the actual keyboard itself is not auv3, just standalone, you'd likely be much better off buying Beat Pads which has a much prettier UI and is mpe compatible. And cheaper, and open source.

Oh so is Beat Pads AU? I was under the impression it was not. Which isn’t really a dealbreaker but I’d love an AU MPE keyboard.

• @McD said:
    I tried it.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. Probably gonna pass on this for now then. Unless the the sound engine is that good. Is it just a preset player? The app description for it is…vague.

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Oh so is Beat Pads AU? I was under the impression it was not. Which isn’t really a dealbreaker but I’d love an AU MPE keyboard.

Beat Pads is not AU, but neither is this! Maybe just use velocity keyboard - can't it be set up in the same grid format as this?

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Beat Pads is not AU, but neither is this! Maybe just use velocity keyboard - can't it be set up in the same grid format as this?

I just checked Velocity Keyboard and indeed it has isomorphic mode, you can choose scale to highlight notes and so on. It’s auv3 although I don’t know if that makes a huge difference in the case of a keyboard, does it?.
    I talked about the isomorphic keyboard in the (now lost in the attic) “Do you know music theory thread?”. The isomorphic keyboard makes so much more sense than the piano keyboard. It’s a pity the Push doesn’t work with the iPad, I guess if I learn to play it I’d need a Launchpad.
    Is there an app to teach you how to play isomorphic?. Can’t find anything. I could really use one.

• @tahiche said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

I just checked Velocity Keyboard and indeed it has isomorphic mode, you can choose scale to highlight notes and so on. It’s auv3 although I don’t know if that makes a huge difference in the case of a keyboard, does it?.
    I talked about the isomorphic keyboard in the (now lost in the attic) “Do you know music theory thread?”. The isomorphic keyboard makes so much more sense than the piano keyboard. It’s a pity the Push doesn’t work with the iPad, I guess if I learn to play it I’d need a Launchpad.
    Is there an app to teach you how to play isomorphic?. Can’t find anything. I could really use one.

AUV3 is useful because I can have both the keyboard and synth on screen at the same time within AUM. Thanks for the answer!

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

I’ve heard good things about it. It may be the one for me. I’ve heard KB-1 is pretty good as well.

• @tahiche said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Not sure but I bet there are online resources. I think for a keyboard, auv3 is useful. Particularly for saving things like a custom scale and key - but unfortunately due to some oversight in its early coding velocity keyboard doesn't do that and apparently it would be too much work to fix. If you really want to learn to play a full isomorphic keyboard this won't be an issue for you. Geoshred also doesn't do this, and that apparently is due to something that's Apple's fault and not fixable by the devs. Forget the details.

But it's also nice to have the keyboard inside aum with your other apps for easy tweaking while or between playing, and for things like pressing 'record' in Gauss at the exact moment you start playing. Generally I avoid non-auv3 keyboards.

• edited April 2023

@HotStrange said:

AUV3 is useful because I can have both the keyboard and synth on screen at the same time within AUM. Thanks for the answer!

Geoshred Control Is AUv3, isomorphic, has MPE timbre/cc74 or whatever you want to call it and polyphonic Pitchbend. On top of that it's currently free.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/geoshred-control/id1336247116

• @tyslothrop1 said:

@HotStrange said:

Geoshred Control Is AUv3, isomorphic, has MPE timbre/cc74 or whatever you want to call it and polyphonic Pitchbend. On top of that it's currently free.

I already have this and didn’t even think about it 🤦🏻‍♂️ one of those that I got for free 1-2 years ago but always forget I have both versions and that it’s actually AU. I know what I’m doin today now 😅

• @HotStrange have fun. I like the visual feedback you get, when you use the timbre, too. That's a nice touch.

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    @HotStrange have fun. I like the visual feedback you get, when you use the timbre, too. That's a nice touch.

One thing I’m curious about, I have geoshred control and geoshred play. It seems like you can pay $14.99 to use Play as an AU midi controller and instrument so why have both? I guess I’ll have to pay because I want to load it in an instrument slot as well since I always have issues running it as IAA.

• @HotStrange said:

@tyslothrop1 said:
    @HotStrange have fun. I like the visual feedback you get, when you use the timbre, too. That's a nice touch.

One thing I’m curious about, I have geoshred control and geoshred play. It seems like you can pay $14.99 to use Play as an AU midi controller and instrument so why have both? I guess I’ll have to pay because I want to load it in an instrument slot as well since I always have issues running it as IAA.

The quirks of Geoshred are numerous, especially if you have several versions installed. Pat (moforte) made a bunch of detailed posts about it recently in one of the threads. But basically if you do update play, it will basically be pro, so you'll be able to buy the Swam packs etc. All a bit of a minefield tbh! There was something about if you have several versions of Geoshred that can be used to control midi only one will ever show up as a midi AU. This is by design. Geoshred is great, but I'm glad I just went for Pro straight off the bat, to be honest. Those Naada sounds are also really great, but seem to have been completely overlooked by most here.

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@tyslothrop1 said:

The quirks of Geoshred are numerous, especially if you have several versions installed. Pat (moforte) made a bunch of detailed posts about it recently in one of the threads. But basically if you do update play, it will basically be pro, so you'll be able to buy the Swam packs etc. All a bit of a minefield tbh! There was something about if you have several versions of Geoshred that can be used to control midi only one will ever show up as a midi AU. This is by design. Geoshred is great, but I'm glad I just went for Pro straight off the bat, to be honest. Those Naada sounds are also really great, but seem to have been completely overlooked by most here.

That’s definitely my plan. Using Play as an IAA creates a lot of feedback if you switch back to AUM before the release is gone. So definitely would like the AU version. The SWAM instruments really interest me as well but they’re lower on the priority list compared to a few other apps I want. But they are the ultimate “realistic sounds” that I’d like to have. Brass stuff in particular. I have Heavy Brass and it’s good at what it does but I want more. The Naada stuff does sound great though!

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@tyslothrop1 said:

That’s definitely my plan. Using Play as an IAA creates a lot of feedback if you switch back to AUM before the release is gone. So definitely would like the AU version. The SWAM instruments really interest me as well but they’re lower on the priority list compared to a few other apps I want. But they are the ultimate “realistic sounds” that I’d like to have. Brass stuff in particular. I have Heavy Brass and it’s good at what it does but I want more. The Naada stuff does sound great though!

Especially for me the Naada saraswati veena. Easily my favourite among those sounds, I guess I love plucks. But in the absence of any truly jaw dropping AUv3 physical modeling synths on iOS, the best you can do really is use the Swam and Naada stuff and then process it with fx if you want the kind of sounds you can get from something like Plasmonic on desktop. Laplace is a nice synth and all but I don't find its sounds very convincing. Spring Sound, super cool, pity its not auv3. The dev told me that Spring Sound is now part of the Osmose engine!

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@tyslothrop1 said:

Especially for me the Naada saraswati veena. Easily my favourite among those sounds, I guess I love plucks. But in the absence of any truly jaw dropping AUv3 physical modeling synths on iOS, the best you can do really is use the Swam and Naada stuff and then process it with fx if you want the kind of sounds you can get from something like Plasmonic on desktop. Laplace is a nice synth and all but I don't find its sounds very convincing. Spring Sound, super cool, pity its not auv3. The dev told me that Spring Sound is now part of the Osmose engine!

Agreed. I really want a super nice physical modeling plugin in on iOS akin to the Volca Drum or something. I do love Laplace and it’s great at what it does but there’s so much room in the iOS environment for something like this. Maybe soon.

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Finally bought velocity keyboard and it may well become my favorite keyboard on all of iOS. It’s just fantastic so far. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. Between this and Xequence Keys/Pads, I think I’m set for a while.

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Finally bought velocity keyboard and it may well become my favorite keyboard on all of iOS. It’s just fantastic so far. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. Between this and Xequence Keys/Pads, I think I’m set for a while.

Nice! Do try to remember to use it on a cushion or something to get slightly better velocity response!

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Nice! Do try to remember to use it on a cushion or something to get slightly better velocity response!

So something to prop it up that allows movement?

• @tyslothrop1 said:

@HotStrange said:

It doesn’t support split window afaik

• edited June 2023

I’m so glad to see more apps like this coming out. I see that people also like Beat Pads (soon to be renamed Midi Poly Grid). It certainly makes better use of limited iPhone screen space than Isotope does, though I also like Isotope.

Grid style keyboards are such a natural configuration for iOS devices.

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

KB-1 is AUV and has an MPE keyboard. I've been avoiding MPE until I have midi fully sussed out, but as it happens I just launched the MPE module last night, and it seemed to work fine, although I'm not familiar with MPE as I just noted, so it might not be the kind of MPE you want.

• @GUB said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

KB-1 is AUV and has an MPE keyboard. I've been avoiding MPE until I have midi fully sussed out, but as it happens I just launched the MPE module last night, and it seemed to work fine, although I'm not familiar with MPE as I just noted, so it might not be the kind of MPE you want.

*If that sentence ran on any more I'd encourage it to consider marathons..

• @GUB said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

I actually went ahead and got the Beat Pads app and it’s really great so far! KB-1 looks amazing but I think I have too many other apps that do what it does to justify it.

• @HotStrange said:

@GUB said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

I actually went ahead and got the Beat Pads app and it’s really great so far! KB-1 looks amazing but I think I have too many other apps that do what it does to justify it.

Cool. If you find it lacking, kb-1 is pretty awesome. And looks like it's about half off right now, for anyone still in the market...

• @GUB said:

@HotStrange said:

@GUB said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Cool. If you find it lacking, kb-1 is pretty awesome. And looks like it's about half off right now, for anyone still in the market...

I saw that. The sale does make it tempting 😂

• edited June 2023

@Gavinski said:

@tahiche said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

Not sure but I bet there are online resources. I think for a keyboard, auv3 is useful. Particularly for saving things like a custom scale and key - but unfortunately due to some oversight in its early coding velocity keyboard doesn't do that and apparently it would be too much work to fix. If you really want to learn to play a full isomorphic keyboard this won't be an issue for you. Geoshred also doesn't do this, and that apparently is due to something that's Apple's fault and not fixable by the devs. Forget the details.

But it's also nice to have the keyboard inside aum with your other apps for easy tweaking while or between playing, and for things like pressing 'record' in Gauss at the exact moment you start playing. Generally I avoid non-auv3 keyboards.

So GeoShred and Velocity Keyboard are not AUv3 either? I know that Beat Pads is not. So what does that leave? Just Isotope? (AUv3 was added recently). I can’t remember if KB-1 has it.

Edit: Ah, I see that @GUB said that KB-1 is AUv3.

• edited June 2023

@tahiche said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@McD said:
    I tried it.

There are resources about the grid keyboard layout - for the Linnstrument. There must be lots of good videos and tutorials by now since Linnstruments have been around a while, but I don’t know if there is an app.

Roger Linn is a really nice fellow and wants to help people learn grid keyboards in general, actually (not just the Linnstrument). He is very interested in grid keyboards and has written several articles about why they are useful, so I’m sure he’d also have a lot of good material to help people learn them.

Most people use the Linnstrument in perfect fourths mode, which is the same as how most people use the Push and the Launchpad, so Linnstrument material should definitely help.

Perhaps the new Push 3 works with iPad, I’m not sure.