Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Land Of A Broken Heart / GeoSWAM

edited February 2023 in Creations

GeoSWAM Violin, Korg Module Pro, BASSalicious, PureSynthPlatinum
Headphones, pls, if you are able.

Comments

• Absolutely phenomenal use of the GeoSWAM violin. You can feel the emotion in every note.

• Thanks for the praise @MadeofWax. Yes, the GeoSWAM is surprisingly good, especially since I didn’t add any expression to it.

• The use of "adjacent" notes (notes 1/2 step below a pending chord tone) make this a beautiful example of romantic violin music.

People that use apps that strictly use scale tones will never stumble on one of these emotionally drenched melodies. (What a great idea for a Mozaic script... set a scale but use adjacent notes that resolve upward into the scale to generate melodies that have this emotive sense of longing or regret).

I think Mike getting his fingers on a "Violin" opened the doors to years of hearing the great solo romantic violin music. It's an acquired taste. I hate to be someone that just tunes this music out because there's very little musical technique that is so effective. It's the basis of the darkness in the Harmonic Minor scale and the essential spice in the Mid East scale (also called the Phrygian Dominant).

Used mechanically these adjacent notes can be simple decorations for chord arpeggios but in the hands of a melodic master craftsman they move the human heart. They also open up tritone intervals in music that typically only has one. Eastern european folk music mines these techniques to create great melodies.

• @McD said:
    The use of "adjacent" notes (notes 1/2 step below a pending chord tone) make this a beautiful example of romantic violin music.

People that use apps that strictly use scale tones will never stumble on one of these emotionally drenched melodies. (What a great idea for a Mozaic script... set a scale but use adjacent notes that resolve upward into the scale to generate melodies that have this emotive sense of longing or regret).

I think Mike getting his fingers on a "Violin" opened the doors to years of hearing the great solo romantic violin music. It's an acquired taste. I hate to be someone that just tunes this music out because there's very little musical technique that is so effective. It's the basis of the darkness in the Harmonic Minor scale and the essential spice in the Mid East scale (also called the Phrygian Dominant).

Used mechanically these adjacent notes can be simple decorations for chord arpeggios but in the hands of a melodic master craftsman they move the human heart. They also open up tritone intervals in music that typically only has one. Eastern european folk music mines these techniques to create great melodies.

Thank you for that explanation @McD ! And if you ever decide to make that Mozaic script, let me know.

• HI @LinearLineman ,
    McD's explanation is so "display of knowledge", coupled with his practical experience, so nice to have somebody like Dave to back folks up with tremendous musical know-how!!!
    I agree with @MadeofWax , the violin is quite emotional on this track, and knowing that GeoSWAM did it on its own is truly impressive.
    Another lovely creation from you, Mike!!!
    Hats off!!!
    With love and respect,
    Rene

• Wow, very nice. Have you tried the Naada GeoShred violin? It can play double-stops, which me is the best (only) reason to buy it if you already have the SWAM.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2023

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Wow, very nice. Have you tried the Naada GeoShred violin? It can play double-stops, which me is the best (only) reason to buy it if you already have the SWAM.

Just for the record: “double stops” on violin (and all the bow played strings) are when the bow touches two (or more) strings to play a 2 note interval. Hoe down fiddle uses this technique for its rhythm instrument playing style. But the movement of the bow also tends to mute the string and create a potentially scratchy sound that I doubt the India style instrument plays but that’s the general issue with synth made facsimiles… they do the most used things as a rule. Still, double stops can be different. I recall the Naara product was a bit pricey so I passed.

• Very nice!

• Love it Mike. Very nice!

• Thanks for the theory @McD. You know yer stuff.
    Thx for the listens @MadeofWax @ReneAsologuitar @Dav @Edward_Alexander @Stochastically.
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr doesn’t SWAM violin do double stops?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks for the theory @McD. You know yer stuff.
    Thx for the listens @MadeofWax @ReneAsologuitar @Dav @Edward_Alexander @Stochastically.
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr doesn’t SWAM violin do double stops?

It is monophonic for me. I could not see a duophonic setting in the model controls. If there is one, please advise!

• Headphones as instructed 😊 It’s great that the forum is diverse enough to have creations like this given air time 🙏 The Geo instruments are often overshadowed by their SWAM relations but they’re pretty good in their own right as is demonstrated beautifully here 👍

• Great performance!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr here’s a screen shot of SWAM Cello. See bow polyphony on lower left

Thx for listening @GeoTony @moForte @Pxlhg. SWAM delivers.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr here’s a screen shot of SWAM Cello. See bow polyphony on lower left

Thx for listening @GeoTony @moForte @Pxlhg. SWAM delivers.

Very interesting, tnx. I only have the GeoSWAM strings though.

• Beautifully expressive. I bought the Swam Violin after enjoying the Swam trumpet but can't get it to work for me at all. I might have to try again with it in Geoshred seeing the wonders you've managed with the Geoshred version of it.

• edited February 2023

Wow. For some reason I have a mental image of an orthodox Jewish man trudging through the snowy streets of a mid nineteenth century shtetl somewhere in Eastern Europe… brilliant, evocative work. One of your best, I think, @LinearLineman .

• Beautiful !

• @Belidu, I don’t think I used any expression on that either. It was a variant on a piece I composed a long time ago.
    Thx @svetlovska. The original piece was called “Gypsy” and was about the persecution of gypsies in Germany in the late thirties… so your feeling was close.
    Thanks for listening @des1303. Appreciated.

• I would love to hear this played by a real string quartet. Beautiful composition.