Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - A Shiny Start ("Lofi" made 100% in Gadget)

More production notes in the Soundcloud description, but this is the first track of an upcoming Gadget EP.

Of note, I achieved the tape effect by using Gadget's built-in Flanger and EQ. For the Flanger, I set the feedback to 0, spread to 0, the Delay to 0ms, and the mix to 100%. Then I adjusted the speed and depth to taste. For the EQ, I simply turned the high gain all the way down. That's it for the EQ. Combined, these give the overall sound a degraded effect.

If you like this track, please leave a compliment below. Any constructive feedback? Leave it below. :)

Also consider supporting me on Bandcamp by purchasing my EPs at https://jwmmakerofmusic.bandcamp.com/ if you haven't already. Cheers and enjoy.

Comments

• This is superb recording.
    I love the melodic phrases, and the beat is so nice!
    Love this.

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    This is superb recording.
    I love the melodic phrases, and the beat is so nice!
    Love this.

Much love and God's blessings to you and your family mate. ❤️

I'm going to share my "secrets" to how I formed the track that I didn't share on Soundcloud.

Mostly everything is unquantised. By this, I don't mean using the swing feature built into Gadget but rather nudging notes one at a time slightly off grid "by hand" like how J Dilla used to do (may he continue to rest in peace 🙏 ). The only things I quantised are the synth lead solo as a way to give it a different feel and make it stand out from the rest of the beat, and the high strings as to not call attention to them (they're meant to be playing in the background). Everything else from the drums to the instruments and basses are off the grid for a nice "human" touch.

As far as the melodic phrases go, one would think I listen to a lot of Lofi. While this is somewhat true (although I don't consume as much as I did in December), I actually listen to a lot of Jazz (mostly instrumental Jazz ala Vince Guaraldi, Bill Evans, and Miles Davis, but I also love listening to vocal Jazz of the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Louie Armstrong, John Coltrane, Fats Waller, and Cab Calloway). And played around with licks/riffs/melodic motifs (depending on how you wish to call it) as well as scale runs and such.

One of my favourite techniques is fooling around with "chord extensions", both in the chords themselves and the "improvised solos". My chords usually comprise of the root, the third, the seventh, and the ninth, but not always in that particular inversion. Sometimes I'll add a fifth to a chord if I'm feeling extra spicy that day, lol. Melodies flirt with the ninths, elevenths, and thirteenths of any given chord as well as accidentals, not really adhering 100% to the actual scale of the piece.

Programming the notes - I programmed them "on the grid" first as the melodies came into my head, like taking dictation, not correcting any notes that sounded like a "mistake" as "mistakes" ("happy accidents" as Bob Ross would call them) do happen when improvising live. Then I turned quantisation off and nudged the notes off the grid as mentioned above.

The beauty of Jazz vs "Classical" is in Classical Western music, everything must adhere to certain rules such as sticking to a scale until it's time to modulate to a different key, making sure not to play any parallel fifths and parallel octaves (basic counterpoint), etc. Jazz however breaks a lot of these rules and is thus far more freeing to my creative soul. When I play piano live, even though I use prewritten sheet music rather than a fake book, I add in my own stuff, my own licks (as well as licks from Vince Guaraldi and Bill Evans, my two main Jazz pianist inspirations), etc. (I often prefer to get the "easy play" version of a song and build it up from there, lol.)

Dear me, I've babbled on a bit too much here, but just wanting to share some insights into my very scattered creative process, lol.

• Oops, I forgot to attach these to the initial post.

• Love the groove, and 'trad lofi' in that same chord sequence / bass repeats throughout but with so many different variation techniques to always keep it interesting and moving along to that bass riff with cool drums. Production stellar as we'd expect from you too. I'd submit it to some lofi youtube channels if I were you.

• Really like the drum programming, it has a laid back groove. Only one minor thing: Some notes of the sax drift off-tune and makes me uncomfortable.

• This is excellent! Love the groove and the way it develops. Man, I really like your recent direction and the move away from the edm and trance type stuff you used to make. Those were always excellently done and very catchy, but are just not genres I like much.

I agree with Identor's comment about the sax though. The drifting off-note just goes a little too far, for my taste. What do you think? Cheers!

• I’m with Gav, in that, I prefer this direction your recent tracks are taking! It’s very cool to watch the development! I kinda wish there were some performance fx, a la SP404, like dropouts, filters, injecting vocal one shots during the dropouts, vinyl sim, pitched beat repeat, etc. And I kind of wish there was some sampling involved (even if it’s just some foley in the background or vocal samples as intros/outros) All the virtual midi instruments and no sampling, makes it feel a bit sterile, or like overproduced. But overall, I think it’s pretty good and am excited to hear more!

• @belldu said:
    Love the groove, and 'trad lofi' in that same chord sequence / bass repeats throughout but with so many different variation techniques to always keep it interesting and moving along to that bass riff with cool drums. Production stellar as we'd expect from you too. I'd submit it to some lofi youtube channels if I were you.

Thank you so much mate. :) I'll google "how to submit lofi youtube channels" in a bit to figure out how to do that.

@Identor said:
    Really like the drum programming, it has a laid back groove. Only one minor thing: Some notes of the sax drift off-tune and makes me uncomfortable.

I agree. Upon listening back this morning, it's a bit too "drifty". Easy fix. :) I adjusted the "depth" knob of the Flanger on the track.

@Gavinski said:
    This is excellent! Love the groove and the way it develops. Man, I really like your recent direction and the move away from the edm and trance type stuff you used to make. Those were always excellently done and very catchy, but are just not genres I like much.

I'm excited about my recent direction too. To be honest, listening to and making EDM and Trance all the time was no good for my mental health (spiked my anxiety), although back then I was too close to the forest to see the trees (er, "hear" the trees? lol). First of all, the BPMs are obviously faster and meant to get your blood pumping to make you wanna dance. That's one of the obvious reasons it spiked my anxiety.

Then another more subtle reason - remember how many people said -8LuFS was too loud (even though that's roughly the loudness standard for tracks to be DJed in a club)? They weren't wrong. After roughly two and a half months of not listening to EDM on the daily, I find myself unable to listen to EDM for maybe more than 5 minutes. It all sounds like overcompressed rubbish, both my past output and the output from various EDM labels. I can actually detect and hear the lack of dynamics which I was unable to detect and hear before. 😱

In many ways, the drums in EDM sound flimsy with the life squashed out of them when compared to a track mastered at -14 LuFS. I still need to release "Mysterious Girl", but before I do so, I plan to remaster the original pre-mastered renders at -14LuFS. I also plan to release a remastered version of "Sakura" as well.

I agree with Identor's comment about the sax though. The drifting off-note just goes a little too far, for my taste. What do you think? Cheers!

I think you and Identor were correct, and so I adjusted the "depth" knob of the flanger to make it less "drifty", lol. The Soundcloud version will probably remain the same, but the sax will be less "drifty" on the upcoming "Within Gadget" EP. ;)

(I'm so glad I got this feedback. As I'm relatively new to using Gadget's Flanger as a tape warble effect, I'm still learning to wrap my head around the controls.)

@taeo said:
    I’m with Gav, in that, I prefer this direction your recent tracks are taking! It’s very cool to watch the development!

Thank you so much mate. :) See my reply to Gav above for some insights into why I changed in this direction. ;)

I kinda wish there were some performance fx, a la SP404, like dropouts, filters, injecting vocal one shots during the dropouts, vinyl sim, pitched beat repeat, etc. And I kind of wish there was some sampling involved (even if it’s just some foley in the background or vocal samples as intros/outros) All the virtual midi instruments and no sampling, makes it feel a bit sterile, or like overproduced. But overall, I think it’s pretty good and am excited to hear more!

I get what you mean. :) Well, regarding foley and vinyl crackle, I don't normally add those until it's time to master the entire EP (and I do this in AUM).

I did add filter dropouts though. The issue is...I had to add filter dropouts per instrument rather than per buss since Gadget has no internal bussing options, so it may not be as obvious as when the lowpass kicks in on, say, a drum buss or instrument buss in NS2 and FLSM.

My challenge was to see if I could "Lofi" 100% within Gadget in the first place, lol. 😂 SO, I definitely gave it the old college try.

• Itchy! I like the woozy imprecision of the beats, and stops, the sax is the right instrument, but I agree with those who observe it gets a little too out of its box in places. I can imagine a rapid, low Tricky-style mumbled vocal monologue running over the top of this.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Itchy! I like the woozy imprecision of the beats, and stops, the sax is the right instrument, but I agree with those who observe it gets a little too out of its box in places. I can imagine a rapid, low Tricky-style mumbled vocal monologue running over the top of this.

I love that. :) And yes, I fixed the "depth" knob of the Flanger over the sax. ;) I probably won't change the Soundcloud version, but it'll be fixed when the EP is released.

• Nice smooth vibe. I like the synth line at 1:15.

Using the flanger with those settings is indeed a great way to simulate tape wow/flutter. Throw in a phaser (also 0 feedback) for even more randomness. Also works great in combination with some subtle saturation.

Gadget IFX are interesting since they can be chained in any order and offer the option to have 2 or more of the same effect (flangers with different speeds) in a row.

• @R_2 said:
    Nice smooth vibe. I like the synth line at 1:15.

Thank you so much mate.

Using the flanger with those settings is indeed a great way to simulate tape wow/flutter. Throw in a phaser (also 0 feedback) for even more randomness. Also works great in combination with some subtle saturation.

I'll have to try that out. :)

Gadget IFX are interesting since they can be chained in any order and offer the option to have 2 or more of the same effect (flangers with different speeds) in a row.

Facts! :)

• It’s all been said above… nice one 👍

• @GeoTony said:
    It’s all been said above… nice one 👍

Thanks mate. :) Much appreciated.