Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• Looks and sounds great!

• Interesting indeed

• Would this be similar to Paul Frindel’s Dynamic Spectrum Mapper ?

• I see thanks.

• Is it possible to reset the bands to zero?

• Compander just sounds like a fake car part a mechanic tells you you need in order to overcharge you for needless services. I don’t acknowledge the existence of this “compander”

• Compressor/expander is what it sounds like to me.

• jason said:

Some important info to the beta version linked above.

Apple is somewhat behind the reviewing process...
    The beta in the link above is still the OLD version 1.1 (instead of being actual version 1.4) , which has some problems with parameter saving.
    So I am recommending to wait until the latest beta version is available via TestFlight: version 1.4
    This should be out next days. However, the release version is actually latest version 1.4.

Thank you very much.

Good to know in regards to the beta version.
    I’ve been playing with quite a few of the betas and they are a lot of fun.
    The gui’s are quite refreshing.

Thank you.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Compander just sounds like a fake car part a mechanic tells you you need in order to overcharge you for needless services. I don’t acknowledge the existence of this “compander”

You are just companderphobic :smiley:

• What does it sound like?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    What does it sound like?

Try it out for yourself.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/lQ27GMe2

• Companders have been around for years…

• @anickt said:
    Companders have been around for years…

You got that right.
    My black Trans AM had one back in the day.
    Those things come in handy with ol’ Smokey on your tail.

• edited January 2023

jason said:

@cokomairena said:
    Is it possible to reset the bands to zero?

I was about to ask the same question.

Added to the agenda.
    There is currently a temporary “fix” with just loading the “initialze” factory preset.

Good to know.
    I found the "initialise" factory preset.

On another note, I've added "Compander" to my list of Mastering apps.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Compander just sounds like a fake car part a mechanic tells you you need in order to overcharge you for needless services. I don’t acknowledge the existence of this “compander”

• Yep, heard the phrase compander many times, gonna check out the beta thnx

• Suggestion: maybe you could put a few links to high quality before and after audio files in the standalone app. Especially ones that cleaned up muddy mixes.

• I like this - would definitely use it as a sound design tool for live tweaking on things like drones etc. Would be very nice to automate too. Ifoch would pair nicely with it!

• And I appreciate that you have taken the time to categorise the exposed parameters into level values, resonance values etc. I always think devs should do this for apps that have a sizeable number of parameters exposed. Having an inbuilt preset menu with ability to make your own subfolders for presets, as well as easy batch import / export settings would also be useful imo

• Again, given ios shitty file system, all apps would benefit from the latter

• edited January 2023

Double tap to reset to zero on the main comp/exp dial might be useful

• Can you guys not take a silly, purposefully inane comment? Come on now

• This is very cool - love the fact you can draw the sliders by swiping.

• edited January 2023

Couple things: if I load up a synth (tried with Agonizer, no others yet) hosted in AUM and add this as AU effect, then trigger held note from AUM keyboard, then switch note off, note hangs in Compander till I bypass effect manually, then on reloading effect, hung note is terminated

Also, a global effect ‘mix %’ control would be very nice.

Like the app though, thanks.

• @Kewe_Esse said:
    Couple things: if I load up a synth (tried with Agonizer, no others yet) hosted in AUM and add this as AU effect, then trigger held note from AUM keyboard, then switch note off, note hangs in Compander till I bypass effect manually, then on reloading effect, hung note is terminated

+1 global mix

• This is very good! I have worked on a Koala project with all home made samples (living in an apartment) for a while and I'm really happy with the result musically but not the unavoidable muddy-ness, this one really is a nice step. Also, that you can separate certain frequencies out via 'Levels' is just great. A reset to zero, double-tap or button would be useful.

• Just keyboard routed to agonizer is all… no other connections.

Steps:
    1. Add agonizer
    2. Add compander
    3. Adjust some level on compander (eg resonance) so there is audible change
    4. Hit note on via AUM keyboard
    5. Note hangs until compander bypassed

Would video but file size too large…

• @Kewe_Esse said:

Could always use as a send fx but yeah, mix knob would be less hassle

• jason said:
    Mix amount, well this could be easily implemented.
    But it is quite uncommon for a mastering effect.

[joke on] Not that the High Council of Mastering Engineers blame me therefore. [joke off]

Yes but probably what interests many or even most of us is using it as a sound design fx. Great work tho Jens!