Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VHS tape emulation

Are there any tape simulation effects apps that offer VHS tape emulation?

Comments

• You can load samples into the VHS Synth

• These might do it...

Klevgrand Degrader?
    Or DAW Cassette?
    Or K7D?

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    You can load samples into the VHS Synth

Really? Wow, I had no idea. I shall take a look.

• @id_23 said:
    These might do it...

Klevgrand Degrader?
    Or DAW Cassette?
    Or K7D?

I have DAW Cassette and K7D, but found no specific VHS tape preset. I'm looking for a preset to use as a starting point, preferably. I'd love to see one added to Tape Pro.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

Still trying to work out how.

• Seems like it would take some really golden ears to distinguish VHS tape sound from other lofi filters.

• Hard to imagine that Chow-Tape wouldn’t be able to get one close. there some particular aspect of VHS audio playback that is different from other types of magnetic tape playback that stands out to you?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Hard to imagine that Chow-Tape wouldn’t be able to get one close. there some particular aspect of VHS audio playback that is different from other types of magnetic tape playback that stands out to you?

That's what I've spent today exploring, still diving into this.

• @andowrites said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

I think I goofed, I could’ve sworn I saw sample import 😩 I’m sorry

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@andowrites said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

I think I goofed, I could’ve sworn I saw sample import 😩 I’m sorry

Aww… it was too good to be true!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Seems like it would take some really golden ears to distinguish VHS tape sound from other lofi filters.

Yes, and there were a variety of VHS players with different audio quality. The later ones with "hi fi" sounded pretty good.

• @Simon said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Seems like it would take some really golden ears to distinguish VHS tape sound from other lofi filters.

Yes, and there were a variety of VHS players with different audio quality. The later ones with "hi fi" sounded pretty good.

When I first went to art school, our video recorders were reel to reel black and white! We also recorded to U-Matic. Then, eventually came VHS, with Betamax in between. I've listened to a few over the years.

• @andowrites said:
    When I first went to art school, our video recorders were reel to reel black and white!

Yeah - I remember those. I was shooting on 8mm film at the time (late 1970s) and being able to play back video straight away without film processing seemed like a miracle.

• @Simon said:

@andowrites said:
    When I first went to art school, our video recorders were reel to reel black and white!

Yeah - I remember those. I was shooting on 8mm film at the time (late 1970s) and being able to play back video straight away without film processing seemed like a miracle.

Totally! I loved the 8mm most of all. So many creative miracles in the years since…

• How would it simulate vhs? When you eject ⏏️ your song it leaves behind a few metres of tape still wrapped around the capstan and guides and helical scan head? I suppose it’d have a setting for “has been wrapped around the head upon a previous eject but it was crinkled to buggery when it was rewound without snapping the tape so now it plays like a granular synthesis effect”

• @u0421793 said:
    How would it simulate vhs? When you eject ⏏️ your song it leaves behind a few metres of tape still wrapped around the capstan and guides and helical scan head? I suppose it’d have a setting for “has been wrapped around the head upon a previous eject but it was crinkled to buggery when it was rewound without snapping the tape so now it plays like a granular synthesis effect”

😂🤣😂

• @u0421793 said:
    How would it simulate vhs? When you eject ⏏️ your song it leaves behind a few metres of tape still wrapped around the capstan and guides and helical scan head? I suppose it’d have a setting for “has been wrapped around the head upon a previous eject but it was crinkled to buggery when it was rewound without snapping the tape so now it plays like a granular synthesis effect”

Something like that, yes. :smile:

• edited January 2023

I wonder how many blank VHS & Beta tapes were made and sold over the years?

Where are they now... in the ground.

Same with audio cassettes and records I guess.

• I don’t believe VHS synth uses an audio effect to simulate the VHS sound. He recorded the instruments to VHS, then sampled the actual VHS recordings for the app.

• There's a certain esthetics that's really hard to emulate from vhs tape sounds. But I'm struggling to find a good one on ios and even as desktop vst's.
    Cassette sound are more easy to emulate with many apps.
    Maybe NeedlePoint is closest to create that vhs sound.

• @Simon said:
    I wonder how many blank VHS & Beta tapes were made and sold over the years?

Where are they now... in the ground.

Same with audio cassettes and records I guess.

Totally.

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    I don’t believe VHS synth uses an audio effect to simulate the VHS sound. He recorded the instruments to VHS, then sampled the actual VHS recordings for the app.

That's what I imagined.

• @eylvy said:
    There's a certain esthetics that's really hard to emulate from vhs tape sounds. But I'm struggling to find a good one on ios and even as desktop vst's.
    Cassette sound are more easy to emulate with many apps.
    Maybe NeedlePoint is closest to create that vhs sound.

Ah, I hadn't thought about using NeedlePoint. It's a new app to me, having been offline for some months, I'll look into it. Thanks.

• @u0421793 said:

Got a nice pic in my own head now 😄

FYI, audio in VHS wasn't on the helical scan, it had its own linear tape heads. As the tape speed was quite low and capstan speed not always precisely constant, there's always enough signal degradation to make lo-fi material from 😊

• @rs2000 said:

@u0421793 said:

Got a nice pic in my own head now 😄

FYI, audio in VHS wasn't on the helical scan, it had its own linear tape heads. As the tape speed was quite low and capstan speed not always precisely constant, there's always enough signal degradation to make lo-fi material from 😊

:smile:

• @andowrites said:

@Simon said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

When I first went to art school, our video recorders were reel to reel black and white! We also recorded to U-Matic. Then, eventually came VHS, with Betamax in between. I've listened to a few over the years.

I remember using those.
    Also, all editing was done in camera.
    I felt like a caveman!

• Old VCRs are certainly easy enough to come by. Why not go analog with it?

If desktop effects are on the table, Psychic Modulation Echomelt is what I would recommend. If you have access to NI Reaktor, VHS Audio Degradation Suite is probably exactly what you want. Or if you have Ableton, this also appears to be a decent ITB option: https://brianfunk.com/blog/2013/06/07/free-ableton-live-pack-80-vhs-rack

• @kidslow said:
    Old VCRs are certainly easy enough to come by. Why not go analog with it?

If desktop effects are on the table, Psychic Modulation Echomelt is what I would recommend. If you have access to NI Reaktor, VHS Audio Degradation Suite is probably exactly what you want. Or if you have Ableton, this also appears to be a decent ITB option: https://brianfunk.com/blog/2013/06/07/free-ableton-live-pack-80-vhs-rack

I don't have the space to go with old VCRs and tapes. I have been considering micro cassette for another variation on this them, but trying to resist the temptation, again, mostly due to space, or lack of. Desktop is just fine with me. I'll take the Ableton option, thank you!

• edited January 2023

We need some impulse responses from VHS tapes.

Found some JVC VHS CAMCORDER ir’s: https://magicalroom.gumroad.com/l/fiIBC?layout=profile
    CRT television with VHS https://magicalroom.gumroad.com/l/octHX