Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any apps to collaborate remotely?

Have looked but not found. Something simple. record my track, send to another group member, they record, and so on. Really only need 3 or 4 tracks.

Comments

• Sonobus?

• @Ailerom said:
    Have looked but not found. Something simple. record my track, send to another group member, they record, and so on. Really only need 3 or 4 tracks.

You want to record your tracks to what? Your DAW? The cloud? A file sharing service for musicians? These are all possible.

If you want to make things simple for yourself, both of you should get a single dedicated Google Gmail account and then share files between you on Google Drive with that account.

• @NeuM said:

@Ailerom said:

You want to record your tracks to what? Your DAW? The cloud? A file sharing service for musicians? These are all possible.

If you want to make things simple for yourself, both of you should get a single dedicated Google Gmail account and then share files between you on Google Drive with that account.

Ideally it would be record a track on my device. Send that to the other users. No cloud. Just a file based app. If setting the resolution was was an option it would make for a less demanding download. The simpler the better because of who I am dealing with. I just want to record an acoustic guitar and send it to a singer to rehearse, write and if they can really pull themselves together, record.

• @bleep said:
    Sonobus?

SonoBus <—

• Thanks for the app ideas everyone.

• edited January 2023

Endlesss is by far the best way I have ever collaborated online. So awesome to be making stuff at the same time. Mobile and desktop parity, dayum!

• @AudioGus said:
    Endlesss is by far the best way I have ever collaborated online. So awesome to be making stuff at the same time. Mobile and desktop parity, dayum!

Is it free? Can you record a long guitar track, then someone else can record a vocal over it?

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Songtree

That looks like another good option. So far think Spire and Songtree look the simplest. Is there anything that is cross platform?

• @AudioGus said:

100 % this

• @alexforgemm said:

@AudioGus said:

100 % this

It doesn't seem suited to playing a guitar track and sending that to a vocalist. Correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't work that out.

• edited January 2023

Bandlab is the answer

• @Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

Is it free? Can you record a long guitar track, then someone else can record a vocal over it?

1 Yes, 2 yes, 3 yes

Let me save you some time and suggest you try Endlesss. It'll save you time because if it is the right thing for you, you will want to have known about it as soon as possible.

Endlesss is a collaborative live and async looper. The jams are always there and you can join public ones and private ones and start your own. With a deliberately limited workflow, it is very liberating. It is the most fun I've had on any app, and a lot of people I've met on there have completed the most music in their life using it, despite the limitations. For example here's 5 albums made by a group of about 30 people in varying combinations that all originated from weeklong improvisational sessions on Endlesss: https://trackclub.bandcamp.com/

Endlesss is 100% free, no IAP. There is no catch or ulterior motive -- its is quite unique. Come check it out: start with public jams with built-in groove-box like sounds, then graduate to AUv3 and Line in on iOS, and VST host on MacOS and Windows. Also free. Then get sucked in deeper and join the rest of us on Discord. endlesss.fm with three S's.

I can almost guarantee someone else from Endlesss is gonna jump in here to say similar things, if they see the topic....

• edited January 2023

When you use endless with auv3s do the other persons have to own the plugin too or does it bake everything into audio before sharing? Also, can it really do audio tracks? 🤔 wasnt aware of that, it really does sound very cool

• edited January 2023

I've been down this road and the best solution for collaborating with a singer/songwriters is just to have the lot of us use either GarageBand or Cubasis. We text the files back and forth. Not optimal, in that we have to limit ourselves to the onboard effects and sounds for simplicity, but it works. And since it's tough to convince some people the benefit of recording dry and adding effects later, the ability to just turn off the effects others add is a plus. Always too much reverb on the guitar and vocals.

• edited January 2023

@Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

It is a looper. It lets you capture up to eight bars and everyone involved can rapidly iterate and experiment at the same time. If you just want someone to record a complete vocal track over a guitar track though you should probably just use something like Cubasis and send projects back and forth via dropbox or something similar.

• Bandlab is also 100% free.

• Has anyone used both Endless and Bandlab? I’d like to know how they compare for audio multi-tracking collaboration.

• edited January 2023

@AudioGus said:

@Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

It is a looper. It lets you capture up to eight bars and everyone involved can rapidly iterate and experiment at the same time. If you just want someone to record a complete vocal track over a guitar track though you should probably just use something like Cubasis and send projects back and forth via dropbox or something similar.

Thanks. 8 bars is not what I'm after.

Looking at Bandlab and Songtree right now. Have tried all of the suggestions and it came down to these.

I agree with the suggestions about using a DAW but unfortunately I'm dealing with a particular class of musician who wouldn't spend money on a DAW but most importantly would not invest the time to learn how to use it well enough to import a track, arm another, record and send the track back to me. Believe it or not.

• @Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

@Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

I agree with the suggestions about using a DAW but unfortunately I'm dealing with a particular class of musician who wouldn't spend money on a DAW but most importantly would not invest the time to learn how to use it well enough to import a track, arm another, record and send the track back to me. Believe it or not.

Also, a centralized timeline is needed or everyone will independent timelines, mixes, etc. it’s too confusing to not have one timeline.

• @Sabicas said:

@Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

@Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

Also, a centralized timeline is needed or everyone will independent timelines, mixes, etc. it’s too confusing to not have one timeline.

We are all older family men so recording timelines are not really a priority. It's more of a convenience for practice and sharing ideas when we don't have time to get together.

• Could this not be done with a group in any chat-tool?
    You can send the tracks as audio files and that's it.

WhatsApp,Telegram, Signal, ... whatever

• @tja said:
    Could this not be done with a group in any chat-tool?
    You can send the tracks as audio files and that's it.

WhatsApp,Telegram, Signal, ... whatever

How would they record? I believe that is the problem. Spire could have been perfect because you can upload the project to a platform like Messenger. Alas, there is no Spire for Android.

• @Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

@Ailerom said:

@AudioGus said:

Thanks. 8 bars is not what I'm after.

Looking at Bandlab and Songtree right now. Have tried all of the suggestions and it came down to these.

Ahh yes, I have encountered such entities. Good luck

• There’s a decent amount out there, I’ve never personally tried any from 2 separate locations, but you will be able to find some. Maybe pick a few to test before you go all in on one.
    Wavejam did cost money for awhile but has been free for several months now.
    Sonobus too.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    There’s a decent amount out there, I’ve never personally tried any from 2 separate locations, but you will be able to find some. Maybe pick a few to test before you go all in on one.
    Wavejam did cost money for awhile but has been free for several months now.
    Sonobus too.

Sonobus is (correct me if I'm wrong) real time only, so I abandoned that one. I kept Wavejam for the time being. Looking at Songtree and Bandcamp as they seem simplest for my less than technical friend. I liked Wavejam though so could end up looking at that option as well.

• Thanks for all the help. I think Bandlab may be the best option.

I'm interested to know if there is a way Audio Evolution Mobile can save a single project file, containing all tracks, to be sent elsewhere (e.g. another user's iPad).

• Endlesss

Beat club