Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What samplers do you use, and when?

13»

Comments

• @HotStrange said:

@andowrites said:

@HotStrange said:
    Oh man there are so many with so many different use cases. Koala, Dawnbeat, Beathawk, EG Pulse for something simple and quick, to make Beats, etc.

ReSlice, Segments, Sitala for chopping.

Fieldscaper, Soundscaper, Spacefields, Borderlands, Samplr, Elastic Drums, PaulXStretch for getting experimental (Koala falls into this too).

Hypertron, Drambo, Grooverider, Blocs, Groovebox (both versions) for the groovebox feel.

Then the lesser known but still fun ones like Sampletoy, SQRT, Beat Machine, Sampler San, Tick, Sir Sampleton, SK-51, Realbeat. I could go on and on with these haha. I love iOS samplers.

And this is before getting into granular stuff and more instrumental stuff like Samplewiz, AudioLayer, etc.

Great breakdown.

Can you explain to me how you might use SampleWizz with your own imported samples?

Sure! It’s pretty simple (for my use case anyway). I just import some kind of weird sample, like walking on rocks or a door shutting, and use the various parameters to make a pad out of it. I love it for taking found sounds and turning them into something more instrument like.

Hope that’s what you meant!

Thank you, yes, that's exactly what I meant. That's really helpful.

• I use mostly Koala, Drambos Flexi Sampler and Slate (Nanostudio). I like that samplers are so CPU friendly. Sitala will be my next buy...

• I'm going to be THAT guy and just notice that sometimes people mix up Samplers with Sample players.
    For example... Volca Sample is appropriately named, because it just plays back samples, but does not sample.

Some apps mentioned here from what I recall, don't have sampling features

• @senhorlampada said:
    I'm going to be THAT guy and just notice that sometimes people mix up Samplers with Sample players.
    For example... Volca Sample is appropriately named, because it just plays back samples, but does not sample.

Some apps mentioned here from what I recall, don't have sampling features

Yeah, I was a bit sloppy in my initial question, but if I could rephrase it I'd basically ask 'samplers / sample players'

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah, I was a bit sloppy in my initial question, but if I could rephrase it I'd basically ask 'samplers / sample players'

For me it's no problem, mate. The question wasn't sloppy :lol:
    But sometimes we get recommendations on apps that need to import samples
    And maybe not in this topic, but I recall seeing recommendations on apps that are basically romplers :tongue:
    Sorry for being a pain in the ass :wink:

• @andowrites said:

@HotStrange said:

@andowrites said:

@HotStrange said:
    Oh man there are so many with so many different use cases. Koala, Dawnbeat, Beathawk, EG Pulse for something simple and quick, to make Beats, etc.

ReSlice, Segments, Sitala for chopping.

Fieldscaper, Soundscaper, Spacefields, Borderlands, Samplr, Elastic Drums, PaulXStretch for getting experimental (Koala falls into this too).

Hypertron, Drambo, Grooverider, Blocs, Groovebox (both versions) for the groovebox feel.

Then the lesser known but still fun ones like Sampletoy, SQRT, Beat Machine, Sampler San, Tick, Sir Sampleton, SK-51, Realbeat. I could go on and on with these haha. I love iOS samplers.

And this is before getting into granular stuff and more instrumental stuff like Samplewiz, AudioLayer, etc.

Great breakdown.

Can you explain to me how you might use SampleWizz with your own imported samples?

Sure! It’s pretty simple (for my use case anyway). I just import some kind of weird sample, like walking on rocks or a door shutting, and use the various parameters to make a pad out of it. I love it for taking found sounds and turning them into something more instrument like.

Hope that’s what you meant!

Thank you, yes, that's exactly what I meant. That's really helpful.

Glad I could help!

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@lasselu said:
    Decent Sampler...

In terms of consuming samples rather than making your own, Decent Sampler fits my taste so well. The amount of free - and paid - amazing samples there is incredible, and will take you to places that no synth can. Yes, not even Tomofon. Anyone who likes experimental and organic sounds should check out Pianobook, search filtered to find DS libraries. I pray for a better interface on iOS. I also hope that Apple will lift their ram limit per AUv3, allowing us to use multiple instances of this, even the heavy duty ones, without crashes.

I may be way out of the loop but is Tomofon out on iOS now?

It's not yet!

About Sitala, I haven't sliced anything there yet. Is it better than, say, Segments, for that?

I haven’t used Segments nearly as much so it’s hard to say. I do prefer Sitala but it’s more simplistic I believe.

• Koala - truly amazing software. Becomes an instrument especially when you midi map everything. Exports to Ableton as session and sampler / drum rack. Something about the speed of it - I find it to be the fastest thing to lay down ideas with. Even on the desktop. You can sample with lightning speed / lay down ideas crazy fast / go sound design wild with all the fx accessible from one single view like Ableton macros in a way.

• @kdogg said:
    Koala - truly amazing software. Becomes an instrument especially when you midi map everything. Exports to Ableton as session and sampler / drum rack. Something about the speed of it - I find it to be the fastest thing to lay down ideas with. Even on the desktop. You can sample with lightning speed / lay down ideas crazy fast / go sound design wild with all the fx accessible from one single view like Ableton macros in a way.

Brilliant, I didn't know I could export to Ableton. You just made my day! I love Koala too. Such a creative tool.

• Koala Sampler has 90% of the things I want in a sampling app, so that's my sampler of choice. And it keeps evolving.
    I also have good hopes for Dawn Sampler IF it will become auv3. But I'm realistic, I think it won't.

• edited January 2023

Are many people here using midi controllers (pads) of any sort with Koala?

If so, why are you using, and how is it for you? Would you recommend any in particular? I was thinking to get a Korg Nanopad 2 for with Koala, but a Launchpad is a possibility too.

• @MadeofWax said:
    AudioLayer, Decent Sampler, Koala. I need to spend more time learning Koala. AudioLayer is my default for "virtual guitar " playing.

Which or where did you find your virtual guitar sound? I’ve been using decent sampler for my guitars

• @audiblevideo said:

@MadeofWax said:
    AudioLayer, Decent Sampler, Koala. I need to spend more time learning Koala. AudioLayer is my default for "virtual guitar " playing.

Which or where did you find your virtual guitar sound? I’ve been using decent sampler for my guitars

The AudioLayer Guitar instrument I created can be found here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/141UX3onibpuYg_LRTjpj4qyP5ab_Q7if?usp=sharing
    The sound files used to create this AudioLayer instrument can be found here
    https://unreal-instruments.wixsite.com/unreal-instruments/metal-gtx

• @audiblevideo said:

@MadeofWax said:

Which guitars would you recommend from DS? I love the free Stella pack but don't have any others. Curious if you have the paid Stella pack whether you think it's worth it

• @Gavinski said:

@audiblevideo said:

@MadeofWax said:

Which guitars would you recommend from DS? I love the free Stella pack but don't have any others. Curious if you have the paid Stella pack whether you think it's worth it

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/profile/risto-sipola/
    https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/62-reissue-stratocaster/

I've used both of these. Given that ambient music is something you do there are lots of samples / instruments made for that on pianobook. I never tried any of the paid packs.

• @andowrites said:

If so, why are you using, and how is it for you? Would you recommend any in particular? I was thinking to get a Korg Nanopad 2 for with Koala, but a Launchpad is a possibility too.

Beatstep Pro + Akai MPD18

Got a SP555 I sometimes use as a controller
    And my Volca Sampler (Player)

I’m in the market for the Faderfox UC4 to add sliders and more buttons to the command fleet.

• @MadeofWax said:

@Gavinski said:

@audiblevideo said:

@MadeofWax said:

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/profile/risto-sipola/
    https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/62-reissue-stratocaster/

I've used both of these. Given that ambient music is something you do there are lots of samples / instruments made for that on pianobook. I never tried any of the paid packs.

Cheers, will check them out!

• edited January 2023

@taeo said:

@andowrites said:

I’m in the market for the Faderfox UC4 to add sliders and more buttons to the command fleet.

I'm interested in the Volca Sample 2. I've seen some beautiful ambient stuff created on it.

My dream faders are the Slate + Ash ones. The 16N. I hope to buy some later this year. But I do need to sort pads sooner.

• @Gavinski said:
    Koala, Segments, Sitala, Dawnbeat, Audiolayer, Decent Sampler, AASamplePlayer etc....

Which do you use more and why? What are the main pros and cons of each? Which do you prefer in specific circumstances (eg sampling an instrument, making a hip hop beat, doing something more ambient or experimental) etc etc?

Obsidian's sampler is great when working within NS2. However, I love making beats, experimental, and ambient in Koala. I've tried a couple other samplers on that list, but none compare to Koala in my opinion.

• I love Koala because it can sample and slice. And aside from the screen recording, you can load it as an effect on a mix bus to QUICKLY sample any loaded instruments in higher quality.

@kdogg said:
    Koala - truly amazing software. Becomes an instrument especially when you midi map everything. Exports to Ableton as session and sampler / drum rack. Something about the speed of it - I find it to be the fastest thing to lay down ideas with. Even on the desktop. You can sample with lightning speed / lay down ideas crazy fast / go sound design wild with all the fx accessible from one single view like Ableton macros in a way.

Same. I miss Ableton though. I haven’t had a PC for a while, but I quickly export Koala stems to AEM. I know some dislike the sequences changing immediately, but I like it. It’s like beat juggling with MIDI. Append a sequence to the end of another if you need something tight. But an option would be convenient.
    I like loading Koala as an effect on a mix bus inside AUM to sample anything from my AUM session. The option of automatically trimming silence after sampling is clutch and part of what makes sampling and editing fast.

• Although not a sampler, I also love to use FAC Drumkit to sculpt unruly synth drum sounds from SKIID and Fractal Bits. I turn off FAC’s synth engine and import said samples.
    The AMP envelope in FAC is unrivaled by any of the sculpting adjusters found in Sitala, Dawnbeats and Koala. Plus, you also get a pitch envelope for FACs sample engine.

• @taeo said:

@andowrites said:

Do you use the usb out of the Volca to control Koala?

• I’ve been playing in Koala a lot lately. It really is great software. I love it for quickly recording a sound from the mic or AU input and playing that back as a one shot or simple loop. I’ve started trying to take a small slice from a sample and turn it into an instrument. Koala speeds up playback for pitch shifting, so it’s hard for notes to sound consistent. I like Bitwig’s sampler (desktop DAW) in that it uses a granular pitch shift which doesn’t change the speed. Are there any good ones mentioned here (or not) that work similarly?

• MPC Live 2 for pretty much everything these days

• Is there an actual sound difference between Koala sampler and BM3?

Samu

• @Telstar5 said:
    Is there an actual sound difference between Koala sampler and BM3?

Samu

There's way more synthesis capabilities in BM3, like for example per sample saturation, full synth engine with filters, envelope, modulation and effect chain, better time-stretch etc.

It's two totally different apps for different use-cases one doesn't replace the other...

• @Samu said:

@Telstar5 said:
    Is there an actual sound difference between Koala sampler and BM3?

Samu

There's way more synthesis capabilities in BM3, like for example per sample saturation, full synth engine with filters, envelope, modulation and effect chain, better time-stretch etc.

It's two totally different apps for different use-cases one doesn't replace the other...

And BM3 allows simultaneous high-quality pitch shift and time-stretch when playing samples from a keyboard which I don’t think any other iOS sampler allows. (You can also trigger slices without slicing to pads which can be nice).

• @espiegel123 said:

And BM3 allows simultaneous high-quality pitch shift and time-stretch when playing samples from a keyboard which I don’t think any other iOS sampler allows. (You can also trigger slices without slicing to pads which can be nice).

The Quick Sampler in L also does time-stretching of polyphonic samples and allows slice-triggering without slicing to pads and if per-slice synthesis stuff and effects are needed the slices can always be converted to a Drum Machine Designer kit with a few taps for full control over each slice. I've not really used BM3 that much after L dropped for the iPad as it covers +90% of my needs...