Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Agonizing about speakers for listening & non-pro mixing upto ~$600

edited January 2023 in Hardware

Room is not a dedicated studio, about 12x18 ft, some carpets & soft sofa, won't have sound treatment. Budget max ~ $600. I don't do pro-level work, just fun, and will do general listening, playing piano, my own mixing.

I can put them on my desk or on stands.

[EDIT: much prefer built-in Bluetooth]

[EDIT: have decent headphones but use them only if needed]

I'm going nuts looking at reviews. Yamaha HS5 (6.7 x 11.2 x 8.7") are a tad too big in size.

Wish someone could convincingly put me out of my misery :-( but any advice welcome.

Comments

• Just get a good pair of headphones (not too high end) and check your mixes in your car. Problem solved. 99.95% of all people don't care about the fine points of mixing, only that it sounds good.

• @des1303 said:
    Room is not a dedicated studio, about 12x18 ft, some carpets & soft sofa, won't have sound treatment. Budget max ~ $600. I don't do pro-level work, just fun, and will do general listening, playing piano, my own mixing.

I can put them on my desk or on stands.

I'm going nuts looking at reviews. Yamaha HS5 (6.7 x 11.2 x 8.7") are just a tad too big in size.

Wish someone could convincingly put me out of my misery :-( but any advice welcome.

I’m pretty happy with Presonus Eris E3.5 and Sub8 Subwoofer combination. Very compact… Probably won’t have quite the sound quality of the HS5s though…
    Not sure about pricing where you are, but might work…

• ive been using 10 thousand dollar PMC's for years now, and while they are great, ive recently found myself liking the much more affordable Focal - Alpha Evo 65's more than the PMC's. they are crazy good, especially for the price. A bit out of your budget, but you can find them used for cheaper.

• We bought Adam A7V monitors a few months ago, which are a price bracket above but I did audition HS5 and the previous model A7X - by comparison the HS5 were boxy and limited. There is an A4V model but I’d guess over budget.

• edited May 2023

I totally feel your pain! There are so many options out there, it can be overwhelming! Have you considered the JBL 305P MkII? They are a bit smaller in size than the Yamaha HS5 and have received great reviews for their sound quality. Plus, they have built-in Bluetooth which is a big plus for you. Another option to consider is the Mackie CR-X Series, they also have Bluetooth and come in a range of sizes to fit your room. When it comes to speaker size, keep in mind that bigger isn't always better, and it's important to consider the size of your room and how the sound will interact with it. I also suggest you take a look at these speakers. It's a rather cool offer, so check it out.

• Check out the IK iLoud Micros. I got a pair for my PS5 set up and I’ve been pretty impressed with how good they sound for the price.

Definitely doesn’t replace my $10k mastering monitors though. 😉

• I love Kali Audio monitors, well made, great sound, great reviews.

• edited September 2023

In my studio I've got KRK Rokits for monitoring, but for general listening a pair of full size HomePods which are absolutely amazing. I love them.

edit to add: I can tell the sound quality on the HomePods is better than on anything else, because the sound of a dog barking coming out of the HomePods sends my dog running over to work out where it's coming from, but from any other speakers in the house she completely ignores it.

• Ditto for the HomePods, the original ones are pretty cheap 2nd hand now.