Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Taking a thereminish type run up on Metropolis: The Execution Bell

edited January 2023 in Creations

“Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky.”- Alfred Lord Tennyson

It was the custom at midnight on the eve of an execution for the bellman of St. Sepulchre-without-Newgate to ring a handbell twelve times outside the condemned man’s cell. The bell used for this purpose is still on display in the church today. Ask not for whom the bell tolls…

The overwhelming popularity of the AudioBus Collective having a go at Metropolis means I’ll probably be offering my seat to someone who missed the cut on Vampyr. Which means I might as well post my pre clip-allocation proof-of-concept dabble with Ribbons, a theremin-like app, https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ribbons-touch-instrument/id898059305 here as a standalone track instead as it, or something like it, is unlikely to see the light of day otherwise.

The whole track is various live-recorded passes of this app, no other instruments used, captured as File Player loops in AUM, and complemented only by some electric zaps I put into Koala and triggered live off the koala pads, and Wires doing heavy fx lifting, of course. Ribbons is IAA only, but a very versatile, instinctive thing, up there with Shoom as an actual touchscreen instrument. Pity the days of such things seem past.

Comments

• ‘Kin ‘ell that was good

• Yeah great opening shot, moody moody moody

• This is definitely my cup of tea Irena. Surely we need at least a bit of this in the metropolis soundtrack. Plus, as you put so much time into our Vampyr project, and with your usual grace and elegance at all times, to boot, I vote that you should definitely have a seat at the Metropolis table.

• Blimey. Just had look on the App Store and the only Ribn I could find is just a MIDI controller, so I guess this app is now unavailable. Frustrating, as it sounds so good.

• @bygjohn : oops, my mistake, working off memory, sorry! (Too many apps!)

It’s Ribbons, not Ribn, still available:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ribbons-touch-instrument/id898059305

• I absolutely adore!
    Ribbons has been one of my go to apps since my first iPad 10 years ago - beautiful music.
    I’m a newcomer to the forum may I say that I agree with @Gavinski this deserves to be included if it’s at all possible…

• You have a knack for creating spooky cinematic atmospheres with your creations. I'm not one who usually enjoys a creeping sense of dread, but I'm drawn to your recordings.

• Cinematic, truly cinematic.!
    @MadeofWax captured this creation, creeping sense of dread!
    Very well done!!!

• Superb. I would have had a heart attack for sure if my doorbell had rung during this.

• I think this music fits the film perfectly and should be included.

Perhaps we could organize a B Team for a second slate of composers to divy up. Someone would have to take on the mixing and adding to video tasks.

• edited January 2023

Thanks all for the listens and comments! I hope, @Sons_Cartouches , that we get to hear your actual freaking theremin in this project, been a fan of the instrument forever, and in awe of tnose who can play it:

@MadeofWax : I now want ‘creeping sense of dread’ as a T shirt :)

@ReneAsologuitar: thank you! You are so very kind.

@belldu : ha! :)

@McD : very nice of you to say so. :) As long as the timecoded version of the movie is freely available to all, of course, there is nothing stopping anyone having a crack at whatever part they want, as a side project to the main event, and posting their work to SoundCloud, Crestions on the forum, BandCamp and what not. (I am still intending to put out the Vampyr soundtrack as an album btw - life has been getting in my way lately.)

We did have some dropout on the first project, and it is likely life might get in the way of a contributor or two this time too, so a subs bench makes sense. Not sure it is worth doing all the tech work on the material that won’t make the final cut mind…

• @Svetlovska said:
    Thanks all for the listens and comments! I hope, @Sons_Cartouches , that we get to hear your actual freaking theremin in this project, been a fan of the instrument forever, and in awe of tnose who can play it:

Of course! One caveat though, my playing abilities are in only the primordial stage compared to those of the illustrious Carolina Eyck!

• I have to admit... I'm a fanboy. You always take us on awesome journeys through your musicscapes.
    You definitely should be on the Metropolis soundtrack :wink:

• Tremendously atmospheric throughout 🔔
    I find myself agreeing with the comment from @MadeofWax again.
    @belldu , your comment made me laugh 😊
    Carolina Eyck Is amazing, I’d recommend watching anything by her.