Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Nylon Strings Guitar with Cutaway under 1K?

edited January 2023 in Hardware

I sold my Multiac Nylon last year. What a mistake. They are now 2x the price I paid.

What is your suggestion for a good nylon guitar with cutaway?

I had an eye on the new Cordoba, but the quality control of the guitar is not good. Some guitar are good, some are bad with pretty high action without the possibilities to adjust it.

My dream guitar is a Yamaha NTX5, but it's 2k.

Is that something better than a Godin Arena?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited January 2023

I prefer wooden guitars.

• @wim said:
    I prefer wooden guitars.

Excuse my broken English, I was talking about the strings obviously :)

• edited January 2023

That Cordoba certainly is lovely to look at: you should be able to sand down the saddle to reduce the action, right? I had to lower the saddle on my Yamaha CG192C a bit when I first got it.

As with all acoustic guitars, I hope you have a nice shop nearby to try out the different models, as you’ll likely never know until you have one in your hands. Many years ago when I was buying my first decent steel six string, I had my mind set on a mid range Takamine, since my early 80’s Takamine 12-string was an absolute joy. But I picked up a used Martin that just blew everything else under $1000 away, and it’s still my main player. :)

• wimwim
    edited January 2023

@Montreal_Music said:

@wim said:
    I prefer wooden guitars.

Excuse my broken English, I was talking about the strings obviously :)

English is a very strange language. I don't know why anyone uses it. Seriously.
    And then there are ... electric guitars. :D

• Probably not what you're looking for, but I'm completely obsessed with my Eo. The wings detach if you want to play on a strap. Folded, it packs into a v1 Jamstik bag.

• edited January 2023

Sorry I can't answer your question directly either, but I found my go-to nylon string guitar by random coincidence: Breedlove Discovery Concert CE

I went to a local Guitar Center to buy a Pedaltrain pedalboard. I wasn't even looking for a guitar really. While browsing around, I found the Breedlove in the store. It was marked as a used, on sale for about $230. It was much quieter acoustically than the the classical guitars and other nylon string guitars in the store, although with the built-in preamp, plugged-in volume would more than compensate for the low volume unplugged.

The selling point for me was this particular guitar having a much lower action than those other guitars. So I ended up buying the guitar along with the Pedaltrain.

It's been one of my favorite guitars ever since. The decision to buy this guitar proved to be prescient, as I later suffered an elbow injury. Playing my other acoustic guitar, a no-name steel string, was too painful after the injury, as it had the higher action that is typical of acoustic guitars. The Breedlove and its nylon strings were much gentler for me.

Good luck in your guitar search. You are probably right that at the lower price points, one guitar can be a hidden gem waiting to be discovered, while another can be a waste of wood, even though both are the same make and model.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Sorry I can't answer your question directly either, but I found my go-to nylon string guitar by random coincidence: Breedlove Discovery Concert CE

I went to a local Guitar Center to buy a Pedaltrain pedalboard. I wasn't even looking for a guitar really. While browsing around, I found the Breedlove in the store. It was marked as a used, on sale for about $230. It was much quieter acoustically than the the classical guitars and other nylon string guitars in the store, although with the built-in preamp, plugged-in volume would more than compensate for the low volume unplugged.

The selling point for me was this particular guitar having a much lower action than those other guitars. So I ended up buying the guitar along with the Pedaltrain.

It's been one of my favorite guitars ever since. The decision to buy this guitar proved to be prescient, as I later suffered an elbow injury. Playing my other acoustic guitar, a no-name steel string, was too painful after the injury, as it had the higher action that is typical of acoustic guitars. The Breedlove and its nylon strings were much gentler for me.

Good luck in your guitar search. You are probably right that at the lower price points, one guitar can be a hidden gem waiting to be discovered, while another can be a waste of wood, even though both are the same make and model.

Looks super nice. It's difficult to find info on that guitar. The nut is 50mm or 48mm do you know? Does it has a trust rod? Where are they produced? Thanks!

• edited February 2023

I will buy electric guitars over the internet, but for an acoustic guitar I think you have to try it out. In your low budget price range there will be a lot of good guitars, but you don't know which ones until you play them. In that range there will be a lot of bad guitars too.

• Not a Classical, but I pulled out my old Alvarez acoustic that I’ve owned for 42 years. It sounds way better now than it did when I bought it. Aged like a fine wine I guess

• edited January 2023

@Montreal_Music said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Looks super nice. It's difficult to find info on that guitar. The nut is 50mm or 48mm do you know? Does it has a trust rod? Where are they produced? Thanks!

All I know is that it does have a truss rod. After 2 years of ownership I finally brought it in to a guitar shop for a look, after breaking one of the strings and thinking maybe some fret work might be needed.

They said the neck had a bit of a back bow, which could be fixed by truss rod adjustment, and recommended a basic setup job. I said ok, but try to leave the action as it is because I like it that way. I got a bit of a lecture about "people chasing low action". :p I said, look, I bought it in the store like that already, it's not like I fucked with it to chase low action.

Anyway... when I came to pick it up later, they said the filthy old strings made the frets feel worse than they actually are. They put new D'Addario Pro Arte strings, which I chose with the help of the D'Addario website string finder tool, cleaned up the neck, and said it didn't need as much truss rod adjustment as they thought.

Oh, the sticker inside the body says crafted in China. Of course that didn't stop me from buying it.

• edited January 2023

@GovernorSilver said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@GovernorSilver said:

All I know is that it does have a truss rod. After 2 years of ownership I finally brought it in to a guitar shop for a look, after breaking one of the strings and thinking maybe some fret work might be needed.

They said the neck had a bit of a back bow, which could be fixed by truss rod adjustment, and recommended a basic setup job. I said ok, but try to leave the action as it is because I like it that way. I got a bit of a lecture about "people chasing low action". :p I said, look, I bought it in the store like that already, it's not like I fucked with it to chase low action.

Anyway... when I came to pick it up later, they said the filthy old strings made the frets feel worse than they actually are. They put new D'Addario Pro Arte strings, which I chose with the help of the D'Addario website string finder tool, cleaned up the neck, and said it didn't need as much truss rod adjustment as they thought.

Oh, the sticker inside the body says crafted in China. Yet for some reason it doesn't sound or play like a piece of shit. IMO of course. :D

Thanks for the info. It more difficult to have low action on nylon string guitar because the string are moving a lot more than steel string. If something buzz, you can also try high tension strings. If possible, buy an hygrometer to see if the guitar is in a dry room. If the action is not low enough, you can sand the bridge saddle, but you have to know what you are doing.

• edited January 2023

@Montreal_Music said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Oh, the sticker inside the body says crafted in China. Yet for some reason it doesn't sound or play like a piece of shit. IMO of course. :D

Thanks for the info. It more difficult to have low action on nylon string guitar because the string are moving a lot more than steel string. If possible, buy an hygrometer to see if the guitar is in a dry room. If the action is not low enough, you can sand the bridge saddle, but you have to know what you are doing.

This guitar already had the action that I liked when I first found it at Guitar Center. There is no need to lower it.

The people at the other store thought the action might go up with a truss rod adjustment. But then they decided the truss rod did not need adjustment after all. Therefore the action did not go up.

• edited January 2023

Oh yeah, Ibanez released the Tim Henson nylon string guitar late 2022. Ichika Nito seems to like it

Then in Jan. 2023, Ibanez announced a cheaper $499 version. The not-as-cheap version is $699.

Ibanez has factories in both Japan and Indonesia. At these prices, I'm guessing both models are made in Indonesia.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Oh yeah, Ibanez released the Tim Henson nylon string guitar late 2022. Ichika Nito seems to like it

Then in Jan. 2023, Ibanez announced a cheaper $499 version. The not-as-cheap version is $699.

He have 99 reasons to like the instrument, but the quality of the instrument is not one of them.

• edited January 2023

@Montreal_Music said:

@GovernorSilver said:

He have 99 reasons to like the instrument, but the quality of the instrument is not one of them.

You tried it already?

I haven't had a chance yet to visit a store that has one in stock. The non-traditional appearance and shape does not bother me. I already have and love my Breedlove so I wouldn't give it up for the Ibanez, but I do enjoy trying out other guitars on occasion.

In-store trial would be recommended for choosing a cheap guitar. It is your best hope of finding one that was made with higher quality than other cheap guitars, because lucky coincidence brought together the right combination of specific pieces of wood, a factory worker who cares just a little bit more than the others, etc.

If you are unwilling to visit a store, you will probably end up wasting more time.

• I have a Washburn C64SCE-A that I like a lot. I think they go for around $500. I think I paid a bit less.

• Ok now I know what I want:

Yamaha AEX 500N

0 to sell on Ebay or Reverb. But I think I can got 1 for 300. I like the cutaway and the slim neck. I will search for one on the used market.

• edited February 2023

I finaly bought a Godin Arena at a really good price. Very happy with the build quality of the instrument. Godin take the same care to create a 500$ instrument or a 4000$ instrument. Never a sharp fret, never a cheap tuner, always top notch attention to details.