Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB forum soundtrack project… THE SEQUEL! **UPDATE AND POLL,voting closes 8/2 23:00 cet!**

edited February 2023 in Creations

Hello lovelies! Our egregious member @LinearLineman has suggested as a follow up to the wildly successful VAMPYR project we collectively tackle the more-than-classic film, METROPOLIS by Fritz Lang. A German expressionist sci-fi masterpiece, the movie has just entered public domain, and as such is free game for us to get our grubby mitts all over it!

The function of this post is to collect cool cats who would like to contribute! Just reply below if you would like to take part and we will get back to you!

Just some info for those who didn’t take part last time:

Once we have a firm list of participants we will divide up the movie in more-or-less equal parts and divvy out segments. You will know who has the segment before and after you and between you, you can decide on logical moments to handover to one another.

You will be given time stamps and a version of the movie with time code imprinted so you can see exactly where your segment will be.

This is not necessarily a time sensitive project but be aware there will be deadlines, and if the last project is anything to go by from beginning to end we are looking at a couple of months to complete this one.

It’s all about having fun so don’t be afraid to take part we won’t judge… except during the live premiere. ;)

GOOGLE SHEETS list of participants so far, created by @senhorlampada

scripts provided by @Kewe_Esse:

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/m/metropolis-script-transcript-fritz-lang.html

http://movietranscript.blogspot.com/2015/11/1927-metropolis-english-transcripts.html?m=1

I’ll periodically update this post with links and info once we confirm masterers, editors and all of that. If you have any questions I’m ready to answer or guide you to the right person… in my position as voluntary cat herder.

UPDATE

I want to keep this as simple as possible, @Krupa has been toiling away searching for prints we can use and we have narrowed it down to 2. Now the forum will decide:

Print 1 Longer... 4k... Incredibly annoying to edit as it's a 9 Gig file, might have more issues with copyright strikes as it's a recent restoration. But it will allow a few more people a pop.

Print 2 Shorter... worse quality, lower chance of copyright strikes, but smaller file, easier to work with/send around the cloud etc. But only space for 18 people, unless guys are up for collabs.

Thanks all!!!!

Comments

• And obviously I’m in.

• I’ll be in, sorry that I haven’t yet found time to check out the available videos/ascertain which is freely usable, I’ll get on it at some point this week kitty permitting😂

• tjatja
    edited January 2023

Ohhh, Metropolis.
    Love that!!!

But not in, have no idea about music...

• I'm in for sure! I can whip out something sci-fi in no time flat. (Just gotta figure out how to mimick the CS-80 in a Vangelis way as opposed to a "Having a Wonderful Christmastime" way (sorry Paul, but that song is shite and a misuse of a powerful hardware synth)).

• Put me down as a second string entry if there's not enough volunteers to fill the slots. Having taken part in the Vampyr one, I'd like to give someone else a chance.

• @FastGhost said:
    Put me down as a second string entry if there's not enough volunteers to fill the slots. Having taken part in the Vampyr one, I'd like to give someone else a chance.

Same here :wink:
    I'm in if we have enough slots. If we are crowded, I would give space for whoever wants in :wink:

• I’d like to join the party this time since I got an iPad with enough storage to spare for the exercise.

• Please count me in :smile:

• I'm in, I need some challenges

• edited January 2023

One of the greatest evenings of my life was watching Metropolis Clubfoot Orchestra playing their score live with the movie at the UC Theater in Berkeley.

• I’m in! (As a composer too!)

• I’m in if there’s space for all who want to participate. If not i cede the slot I might occupy.to another worthy.

• I'm down to try if there's a spot open.

• I can't wait! 😃 I'm so excited. As soon as I'm assigned a slot and watch my portion of the film, I'll stop work on whatever else I'm doing and dive right into scoring.

First I'll load a piano sound, craft a 4-6 note motif, a chord progression, and a variation or two in the same vein as Classical composers. (The piano is simply for marking down the music and probably won't appear in the final piece.)

Then I'll research electronic instruments that existed in the 1920s. This article will help me learn what did exist back then.

https://artsandculture.google.com/story/the-history-of-instruments-the-first-electronic-instruments-philharmonie-de-paris/3gWB5os2Ut8abQ?hl=en

And I'll recreate those sounds in Obsidian, PolyWave, or even Koala with its ability to play back single cycle waveforms.

The "orchestra" will probably be from Korg Module, probably a blend of various packs layered to create a richer sound.

I probably won't use drums, or will use drums super sparingly if needed.

On the master track I will place Alteza (not for a super long Ambient reverb but simply for a bit of space and shimmer on top). Then I'll feed this into Wires for an approximate 50 wet/50 dry blend to evoke a more "old timey" feel, and maybe the delay as well. Then I'll slap on Barricade and adjust to -20LuFS (which probably won't trigger the limiter at all, but one can never be too careful). Then I'll use TwistedWave to normalise the output to whatever is required.

I admit I did "phone it in" for "Vampyr" as I figured "just make it unsettling". But, for "Metropolis" I want to go all in. I'm of the mindset "what if Daft Punk existed in the 1920s, were commissioned to score the film, and could only use what they had available to them at the time?" 😂 I'm psyched!

• edited January 2023

In line with other Vampyr OGs, I’m in… but will happily cede my place to someone else who didn’t take part that time if we have too many contributors.

Difficult to say till we decide on the print. I imagine a top limit of a 5 minute slot? Depending the print we choose, run times vary immensely, though the 91 minute cut (enforced by the Nazis) is the commonest, apparently. (Nazis have short attention spans, as Any Fule Kno.)

“153 minutes (original) · 116 minutes (1927 edit) · 105–107 minutes (1927 US) · 128 minutes (1927 UK) · 118 minutes (August 1927) · 91 minutes (1936 edit) ” - Wikipedia

Oh, and btw @tja : don’t let not knowing anything about music stop you - I don’t either! :)

@jwmmakerofmusic : well, you’ve got theremin, Ondes Martenot and Trautonium, the crystallaphone, (not electronic, but weird), prototype wire and tape recorders… (If I am in, Wires will definitely feature!).

Is it time to wheel out this clip again?:

• I would like to contribute. It would give me a challenge and force me to complete something.

• I'd love to participate in this one. I like the film. A bit of scifi is always good.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Difficult to say till we decide on the print. I imagine a top limit of a 5 minute slot? Depending the print we choose, run times vary immensely, though the 91 minute cut (enforced by the Nazis) is the commonest, apparently. (Nazis have short attention spans, as Any Fule Kno.)

I cannot find any evidence for this ...

“153 minutes (original) · 116 minutes (1927 edit) · 105–107 minutes (1927 US) · 128 minutes (1927 UK) · 118 minutes (August 1927) · 91 minutes (1936 edit) ” - Wikipedia

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(1927_film) there where three original negatives and 2 of the where destroyed when Paramount prepared the movie for the US and UK markets.

The final, most complete version that exists today is from the 2010 restoration that was fixed based on an early and complete copy from Argentina. Still some scenes are lost and replaced my stills or cards.

After such much work to get as close as possible to the original, I feel it would be a crime not to use this version 😅🤗

• @Svetlovska said:

@jwmmakerofmusic : well, you’ve got theremin, Ondes Martenot and Trautonium, the crystallaphone, (not electronic, but weird), prototype wire and tape recorders… (If I am in, Wires will definitely feature!).

I could always put together a folder of stinky valve noises for contributors to use if we want to approximate trautonium type authenticity; I’ve not got into the whole frequency dividing, but I think the circuits I’m using aren’t that dissimilar…

I could also duck out if there’s not enough space for contributors, I wouldn’t want anyone to feel left out if this project gets busy 😁

• edited January 2023

What, @tja, you doubt Nazis have short attention spans? Like a Thousand Year Reich that lasts only 6 years? I rest my case… ;)

Seriously though, you may well be right. All my info comes from the same Wikipedia article you reference:

“Alfred Hugenberg, a German nationalist businessman, cancelled UFA's debt to Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer after taking charge of the company in April 1927, and chose to halt distribution in German cinemas of Metropolis in its original form. Hugenberg had the film cut down to a length of 3,241 metres (about 118 minutes), broadly along the lines of Pollock's edit, removing the film's perceived "inappropriate" communist subtext and religious imagery. Hugenberg's cut of the film was released in German cinemas in August 1927.

Later, after demands for more cuts by Nazi censors (my emphasis), UFA distributed a still shorter version of the film (2,530 metres, 91 minutes) in 1936, and an English version of this cut was archived in the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) film library in the 1930s. It was this version which was the basis of all versions of Metropolis until the recent restorations. In 1986 it was recopied and returned to Germany to be the basis of the 1987 Munich Archive restoration.”

Wikipedia may not be evidence, but it beats my opinion.

I agree that the most complete most restored version is the ideal, though, as per the Vampyr experience, recent restorations will impart their own copyright to the improved print, which might be a problem…

• @Krupa : ha! The valve collection is an excellent idea. I’ve just made a Koala set of various electricity high voltage zaps, fizzes and the like with exactly the same idea in mind… :)

• I'm in. Vintage sci-fi definitely resonates with me at the monent.

• I had no idea there were so many edits of Metropolis

• https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oi6UR0tkizchU2VwD77REsCkheTv-3ik4SMGNnZYKGA/edit?usp=sharing

Dropped a sheet with who wants in and who is ok being on the bench for available slots.
    (The second category so far is @FastGhost, me, @LinearLineman and @Svetlovska - I can change any of you to confirmed if wanted)

Also, I kept the sheet open to anyone who wants to edit, so we can organize everything, timestamps and whatnots

• @senhorlampada said:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oi6UR0tkizchU2VwD77REsCkheTv-3ik4SMGNnZYKGA/edit?usp=sharing

Dropped a sheet with who wants in and who is ok being on the bench for available slots.
    (The second category so far is @FastGhost, me, @LinearLineman and @Svetlovska - I can change any of you to confirmed if wanted)

Also, I kept the sheet open to anyone who wants to edit, so we can organize everything, timestamps and whatnots

Hey good work!!! Can you switch me to bench... only fair for new guys. Thanks!!! Will update the original message to contain this link.

• I’m in, but like others from the Vampyr project I’ll duck out if someone new needs a slot and we’re short of them.

• edited January 2023

I'd like to be in, but so many people already ...