Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Marc Gurman: Macs with a touch screen by 2025

edited January 2023 in Desktop

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-11/apple-working-on-adding-touch-screens-to-macs-in-major-turnabout

That's huge if it is true. Basically, I agree with Apple that operating a touch UI on an upright screen is not ergonomic. But I hope that the feature would include supporting external touch screens.

It's my dream to use Bitwig with a dual monitor setup, the standard UI on a standard upright monitor and the touch UI on an external monitor that lies just some degrees angled on my desk.

Comments

• The proverbial pinch of salt: Gurman's (like everyone's) short-term Apple predictions usually turn out to be a hit or miss, so he's projecting farther into the future now - that way, hopefully fewer people will remember how often he's wrong.

• @ervin said:
    The proverbial pinch of salt: Gurman's (like everyone's) short-term Apple predictions usually turn out to be a hit or miss, so he's projecting farther into the future now - that way, hopefully fewer people will remember how often he's wrong.

True, but hope dies last 😚

• edited January 2023

@ervin said:
    The proverbial pinch of salt: Gurman's (like everyone's) short-term Apple predictions usually turn out to be a hit or miss, so he's projecting farther into the future now - that way, hopefully fewer people will remember how often he's wrong.

I do that with pretty much every prediction about Apple. Everyone has some supposed knowledge about features, release dates, major policy changes, etc, but few of them turn out to be true (or at least the timeline is very wrong). I’ll just take the changes as they arrive, and not worry about dates.

• I think Apple will keep macs separate from ipad, just because more sales. So i doubt in touch screen on vertical device. Also mac os isn't made for touch based on ergonomics like iPad os. Maybe i am wrong though, food for thought

• edited January 2023

@krassmann said:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-11/apple-working-on-adding-touch-screens-to-macs-in-major-turnabout

That's huge if it is true. Basically, I agree with Apple that operating a touch UI on an upright screen is not ergonomic. But I hope that the feature would include supporting external touch screens.

Who says it needs to be an upright screen? Windows tablets work without a keyboard and I could imagine the same with future Macbooks.

It's my dream to use Bitwig with a dual monitor setup, the standard UI on a standard upright monitor and the touch UI on an external monitor that lies just some degrees angled on my desk.

App support is key. Sure I can use a virtual mouse and keyboard on the tablet but it's most fun to use apps that are built for touch operation which means that a lot of Mac apps would need to be updated to be usable on a touch screen.

• Gurman doesn’t know. He’s guessing.

• edited January 2023

As an aside, most of our (Windows) work laptops come with touchscreens, so I have some experience with it now. My most important conclusion is a duality:

• contrary to my expectations, the touch screen is actually useful even for everyday work/office use 👍

• but despite that I barely ever use it, the main reasons being either the laptop is closed and in a docking station, or I simply forget about the possibility because I'm not (yet) used to touchscreens on laptops 🤷

• edited January 2023

@rs2000 said:

@krassmann said:

Who says it needs to be an upright screen? Windows tablets work without a keyboard and I could imagine the same with future Macbooks.

Sure, but then it would be really hard for Apple to explain why we still need iPads.

App support is key. Sure I can use a virtual mouse and keyboard on the tablet but it's most fun to use apps that are built for touch operation which means that a lot of Mac apps would need to be updated to be usable on a touch screen.

Bitwig has got touch support. In its display config there a view type that is dedicated to touch monitors. You can configure Bitwig to use the normal mouse operated views on monitor one and the touch operated view on monitor two. Many Bitwig users on Windows and Linux are making use of this and love it a lot. The touch UI view completely changes the UX. It adds context menus that appear on long press on UI elements. Mac users can’t do this since macOS hasn’t got touch support. There are some hacky workarounds but noone knows if they survive the next OS update.

• Apple should first sort out the iPad / iPadOS and pro apps before adding touchscreens to Mac.
    Feels like kind of a lazy move only to please people and keep “old school” computers alive for a bit longer.

• @jacou said:
    Apple should first sort out the iPad / iPadOS and pro apps before adding touchscreens to Mac.
    Feels like kind of a lazy move only to please people and keep “old school” computers alive for a bit longer.

This is a shot in the dark rumor. Don’t believe it until you see it.

• They should do this tomorrow, if not sooner

The amount of times I’ve reached out to tap something on my MacBook Pro

• edited January 2023

Yeah, it's most probably just a good guess of Gurman but I also think they should do it. Tapping on my MacBook screen also happened to me. As Gruman said in the video, virtually all Windows laptops above entry-level have a touch screen and people seem to like it. I agree that a MacBook with 360 degree hinges would really put a big question mark on the iPad but I would be already happy with proper touch support in macOS for external monitors.

• I believe this was always going to be the case. Never believed the denials 😂

• @NeuM said:
    This is a shot in the dark rumor. Don’t believe it until you see it.

I'm still waiting for the Apple TV set that was "about to drop"... about 10 years ago :smiley:

• I think Gurman was one of those who was swearing that Logic Pro for iPad would 100% ship in 2022. BIG pinch of salt on this one. My guess is that Apple has been building experimental prototypes of multitouch Macs since the iPad first shipped if not longer. The Touch Bar (RIP) didn't emerge from a vacuum after all. It wouldn't particularly surprise me if it happened, after all Steve Jobs has been gone for a long time. But it would also not surprise me if it did not. I think it would raise more uncomfortable questions about why the iPad Pro exists but does not run MacOS.

• @u0421793 said:
    They should do this tomorrow, if not sooner

Yeah me too, partly from iPad, partly from years of dell xps and its useless touchpad, Jobs got some things right, other things he was incredibly wide of the mark (until iPad got pencils I just wasn’t that interested, I draw a lot and I’m not a caveman 😆)

• @Krupa said:

@u0421793 said:
    They should do this tomorrow, if not sooner

Yeah me too, partly from iPad, partly from years of dell xps and its useless touchpad, Jobs got some things right, other things he was incredibly wide of the mark (until iPad got pencils I just wasn’t that interested, I draw a lot and I’m not a caveman 😆)

I do this every limites and get feutrâtes every time.
    Not sure at all get it right when they say touch screen is not convenu on computer.
    I have much pleasure with my windows laptop than my MacBook.
    Anyway I spend most of my time on iPad