Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2023 App Updates

Comments

• @NeuM said:

@Fear2Stop said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@HotStrange said:

@scrape said:
    I’m currently fantasising about Copperhead becoming an extremely powerful Groovebox. Might not be so far from the truth.

Haven’t bought this one yet but am definitely planning on it soon.

It’s better than I anticipated. Not a ton of patches but Paul added some in a recent update. 4P has sales pretty regularly. I’ve actually noticed he’s been doing 4 apps every Friday. So maybe one of these upcoming weekends you’ll get an opportunity.

This is one of those where I initially no-sold it based on Doug playing the presets…and this apparently is one of those where the presets don’t give a good example of what the capabilities are. Watching NuTrix’s in-depth video and this puppy is deep but in a way that’s still very accessible . It has both subtractive AND additive properties (multiplication synth? Lol) …the user defined wave is a pretty nifty feature

Additive plus subtractive equals null?

😂

Hell , it might even be able to divide by zero!

Seriously though….I’m getting Zeeon on Friday but now I’m wondering if I should get this instead. Time for me to pimp bandcamp elsewhere so I can get both 🤣

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Just Chords added AUv3 approximately 3 weeks ago. I totally missed it. Haven’t tried it yet, so not sure how it will work, but hopefully it’s useful.

I have this one but haven’t tried it yet. Wonder what would be one’s main use for this? Think I got it because it was free but the dev seems very active.

• Couple interesting updates

• edited February 2023

@HotStrange said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Just Chords added AUv3 approximately 3 weeks ago. I totally missed it. Haven’t tried it yet, so not sure how it will work, but hopefully it’s useful.

I have this one but haven’t tried it yet. Wonder what would be one’s main use for this? Think I got it because it was free but the dev seems very active.

I got it free too. I’ve yet to try it. I redownload it when I saw they added AUv3 but I have no idea how it’s gonna function. It doesn’t explain or mention if it’s audio or midi, or just a visual tool for chords and lyrics…

• @Poppadocrock said:

@HotStrange said:

@Poppadocrock said:

I got it free too. I’ve yet to try it. I redownload it when I saw they added AUv3 but I have no idea how it’s gonna function. It doesn’t explain or mention if it’s audio or midi, or just a visual tool for chords and lyrics…

I feel like it’s just a visual aid but I still haven’t tried it yet. Only one way to find out I guess lol

• A new Synthmaster 2 update appeared 4 days ago, adding the ability to use as an auv3 effect.
    Anyone brave enough to update? (I'm not that brave).

• @belldu said:
    A new Synthmaster 2 update appeared 4 days ago, adding the ability to use as an auv3 effect.
    Anyone brave enough to update? (I'm not that brave).

I have auto updates on so if mine is already updated when I check I’ll report back.

• Beatsurfing 2 update just popped up for me.. just thought id mention.. great thread this… !

• Thanks to @cazel for sharing this in the sales thread.

@cazel said:
    mela 3
    v3.9

Arpeggiator Module:
    -Added the Retrig parameter, when enabled the arpeggiator pattern restarts on the first note-on.
    -The new Sync and Offset parameters replaced Arpeggiator's Rate parameter. This aligns with how the other modules work.
    -The Sync parameter allows you to set the Arpeggiator's timing in powers of 2.
    -The Offset parameter allows you to make the Arpeggiator rate triplet or dotted, or anything in the 50-200% range.
    -Modulate these parameters to achieve interesting results.
    -Renamed the Length parameter to Gate to reduce confusion about its functionality.

LFO Module:
    -Added the Tilt parameter to the LFO module for the Triangle and Square waveforms.
    -When Tilt is at -100% and +100% the Triangle morphs into the Ramp Down and Ramp Up waveform.
    -For the Square, the Tilt parameter sets the pulse-width amount.
    -Creatively modulate it to generate even more interesting and weird LFO shapes.

Other MIDI Module Improvements:
    -Now it's easier to set the sync’s Offset parameter to triplet and dotted values. In the following modules, Arpeggiator, LFO, Note Echo, Note Length, Random and Strummer, you can tap on the Offset parameter's label and select either the Triplet or Dotted item from the pop-up menu.
    -Improved the design of MIDI modules' on/off toggle.
    -Fixed Note Length module causing stuck notes when a note-off event would fall beyond the host's loop end beat position, while the looping was enabled.
    -Fixed Note Echo module sometimes erroneously accumulating notes to repeat when the host has looping enabled.
    -Set a maximum number (32) of notes Note Echo will track for repeating.

MIDI Buses:
    -Added MIDI Buses to the Mela MIDI plug-in.
    -In addition to having external MIDI I/O now you can route MIDI messages between lanes.

Other Changes:
    -Fixed checkmarks not showing for selected items in the PopUpList on macOS.
    -In Settings, the Audio Engine section now also displays which type of Mela plug-in is loaded by the host: Instrument, Audio Effect or MIDI Effect. Double tapping it will show aumu, aufx or aumi respectively.
    -Improved plug-in's beat position synchronisation with the host.
    -Added new presets.
    -Updated the User Guide.

• edited February 2023

@Nikolozi How is it possible to access things like the strummer module, etc. while using Mela 3 as an AUv3 / AU in GarageBand? Because the complex UI layout I see in your demo videos is nothing like what appears on my iPad Pro or on desktop. Are the advanced features only available to people using AUM? I can certainly live with only having access to the limited set of features I have now, but it would be nice to have access to the full function of Mela 3.

For example, this is all I ever see:

• @NeuM
    Oh in Garageband that I’m not sure about. I do know all the MIDI modules and midi fx must be loaded as an Au midi app in AUM etc…

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @NeuM
    Oh in Garageband that I’m not sure about. I do know all the MIDI modules and midi fx must be loaded as an Au midi app in AUM etc…

Yeah, I loaded both the instrument and the FX separately, but I still don’t get the cool looking collapsible layout AUM users get. And I don’t see anything indicating Strummer or anything like that.

• @NeuM said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    @NeuM

Yeah, I loaded both the instrument and the FX separately, but I still don’t get the cool looking collapsible layout AUM users get. And I don’t see anything indicating Strummer or anything like that.

GarageBand can load and not use Midi AUV3's (Apple really needs to step up their game like NOW!).
    Strummer, Arpeggiator etc. are part of the Mela Midi AUv3.

Mela 3 comes with 3 AUV3's, Synth, Audio Effects and Midi Effects.

I guess @Nikolozi has his solid reasons to keep the midi plug-ins/functionality separated from the main Synth AUv3.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    @NeuM

GarageBand can load and not use Midi AUV3's (Apple really needs to step up their game like NOW!).
    Strummer, Arpeggiator etc. are part of the Mela Midi AUv3.

Mela 3 comes with 3 AUV3's, Synth, Audio Effects and Midi Effects.

I guess @Nikolozi has his solid reasons to keep the midi plug-ins/functionality separated from the main Synth AUv3.

Cheers!

I just figured Mela 3 had been optimized for AUM and not GB. Perhaps there’s something I’ve missed about enabling the additional functions?

• @NeuM said:

I just figured Mela 3 had been optimized for AUM and not GB. Perhaps there’s something I’ve missed about enabling the additional functions?

Could be that the screenshots have a custom preset where strummer is one of the modules.
    The modules in the Midi AUv3 can put in any order, when the midi-module is open you find the strummer under processor.
    (Easiest way to do strumming one finger chords is to use the chord module and feed it to the strummer).

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

Could be that the screenshots have a custom preset where strummer is one of the modules.
    The modules in the Midi AUv3 can put in any order, when the midi-module is open you find the strummer under processor.
    (Easiest way to do strumming one finger chords is to use the chord module and feed it to the strummer).

There’s no Mela 3 MIDI AUv3 module or FX to be found in GB.

• @NeuM said:

Both Mela 3 AUv3 and Mela FX 3 AUv3 can be used with GarageBand at least on my 11" M1 iPadPro, iPadOS16.3.1.
    Mela 3 Midi AUv3 doesn't work since GarageBand doesn't support AUv3 Midi Plug-ins.

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

Both Mela 3 AUv3 and Mela FX 3 AUv3 can be used with GarageBand at least on my 11" M1 iPadPro, iPadOS16.3.1.
    Mela 3 Midi AUv3 doesn't work since GarageBand doesn't support AUv3 Midi Plug-ins.

That must be the reason.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Thanks to @cazel for sharing this in the sales thread.

omg 🫣 sorry guys
    looks like I need more coffee to function 🫠

• @NeuM said:

@Samu said:

@NeuM said:

That must be the reason.

As @Samu pointed Mela ships with 3 AUv3 plug-ins: Mela (synth), Mela FX (audio effect) and Mela MIDI (MIDI-processor). Unfortunately, a lot of main DAWs still don't support the MIDI-processor plug-ins (for example GarageBand on both Mac and iOS, and Ableton Live on Mac). IMO, the best DAWs to use the MIDI AUv3 plug-ins is AUM on iOS and Logic on Mac. From memory, I think you are a Logic user, you can try using Mela MIDI there.

Lately, I've been focusing on improving the Mela MIDI plug-in that's why you saw it showcased in my demo videos. But that will change soon and some of that focus will come back to synth and audio effects.

@Samu said:

The MIDI processor functionality is not yet part of the synth mainly because I've been using Mela MIDI plug-in as a playground to explore new ideas internally (app structure, code etc) and externally (user interface, UX etc). It's been a lot of work, and I think it's maturing to bring some of those ideas to the other 2 plug-ins as well as start adding features from the long list of user feature requests. Future versions of Mela synth will have some of the features that were developed in Mela MIDI. The hope is to converge all three plug-in types into a unified system. But there are a few challenges that I still need to resolve.

If you have more questions let me know :)

• Unbelievable, after 8 years Jam Synth gets an update, ans IAPs are now free.

• @Nikolozi said:
    As @Samu pointed Mela ships with 3 AUv3 plug-ins: Mela (synth), Mela FX (audio effect) and Mela MIDI (MIDI-processor). Unfortunately, a lot of main DAWs still don't support the MIDI-processor plug-ins (for example GarageBand on both Mac and iOS, and Ableton Live on Mac). IMO, the best DAWs to use the MIDI AUv3 plug-ins is AUM on iOS and Logic on Mac. From memory, I think you are a Logic user, you can try using Mela MIDI there.

🔖 drambo + midifire can host au midi proccessors too.

• @cazel said:

@Nikolozi said:

🔖 drambo + midifire can host au midi proccessors too.

Oh yeah, Drambo is great. Haven't used MidiFire yet though.

• @Nikolozi said:

@NeuM said:

@Samu said:

@NeuM said:

That must be the reason.

Lately, I've been focusing on improving the Mela MIDI plug-in that's why you saw it showcased in my demo videos. But that will change soon and some of that focus will come back to synth and audio effects.

@Samu said:

The MIDI processor functionality is not yet part of the synth mainly because I've been using Mela MIDI plug-in as a playground to explore new ideas internally (app structure, code etc) and externally (user interface, UX etc). It's been a lot of work, and I think it's maturing to bring some of those ideas to the other 2 plug-ins as well as start adding features from the long list of user feature requests. Future versions of Mela synth will have some of the features that were developed in Mela MIDI. The hope is to converge all three plug-in types into a unified system. But there are a few challenges that I still need to resolve.

If you have more questions let me know :)

I'm a GB user, but thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm still not convinced I need to abandon the simplicity and ease of use of GB to move to Logic Pro yet. ;)

• @NeuM said:
    I'm a GB user, but thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm still not convinced I need to abandon the simplicity and ease of use of GB to move to Logic Pro yet. ;)

Ah, I remembered it wrong. Agreed, I think Logic Pro is overly complex for a little gain. I think it could remain as powerful but have a much simpler interface. But that's what happens when you try to keep everyone happy, existing and new users. They probably don't want a repeat of what happened when they went from Final Cut Pro 7 to FCP X. Hopefully, Apple adds the MIDI plug-in support to GarageBand, both on iOS and macOS.

• mLFO just added 16 new user lfo tables that can be customized as well as a randomizer, which sounds awesome.

• Cosmic Top and Cosmic Fidget Spinner have been updated after two years.
    Both apps produce some nice drones, but have no audio connection (Cosmic Top doesn't load in AUM for me, Cosmic Fidget doesn't show up), screen recording is the only option.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/cosmic-top/id401450971
    https://apps.apple.com/de/app/cosmic-fidget-spinner/id1258955725

• VAPoly just had a nice update:

• Added Spectrum Analyzer and Spectrogram.
    • Added Pink Noise.
    • Added Polyphonic Glide.
    • Added new effect routing from delay and chorus to reverb.
    • Added LFO Key Re-Trigger switch.
    • Added Master Slider.
    • Added overview to automation editor.
    • Added an option for Quick Look to audition exported audio.
    • Added ability to select MIDI input source in stand alone.
    • Added indicator of selected bar.
    • Added an option to disable sequencer.
    • Improved DSP performance.
    • Improved editing functions of piano roll editor.
    • Improved editing functions of automation editor.
    • Improve velocity mode of internal keyboard.
    • Improved undo and redo.
    • Improved frequency response of the VCF Lowpass Filter.
    • Fixed font size scaling for iPhone.
    • Fixed window scaling of iPhone.
    • Fixed behavior of size parameter of reverb effect when sync is enabled.
    • Fixed a problem that playback doesn’t start from loop start when length of clips are different.
    • Fixed problems of MIDI CC mapping.
    • Fixed a problem of processing MIDI events while sequencer is running.
    • Fixed a problem that holding keys by external MIDI keyboard can’t be turned off.
    • Fixed a problem of arpeggio.
    • Update Ableton Link Framework to the latest version.
  • edited April 2023

@Jer4 said:
    VAPoly just had a nice update:

• Added Pink Noise.
    • Added Master Slider.
    • Fixed a problem that playback doesn’t start from loop start when length of clips are different.
    • Fixed a problem that holding keys by external MIDI keyboard can’t be turned off.

Oh wow, such a great synth.
    Messing around with it for an hour, one thing is that I cannot select presets from the dropdown menu, have click on the folder and select presets there. Anyway, like to dial in my own stuff, and I can’t put my finger on it, but the update sounds SO good. Very analog, absolute top quality! Great fx on board and even a sequencer for an absolute steal price. This thing sound like a $$$ synth.

• @Slush said:

@Jer4 said:
    VAPoly just had a nice update:

• Added Pink Noise.
    • Added Master Slider.

Oh wow, such a great synth.
    Messing around with it for an hour, one thing is that I cannot select presets from the dropdown menu, have click on the folder and select presets there. Anyway, like to dial in my own stuff, and I can’t put my finger on it, but the update sounds SO good. Very analog, absolute top quality! Great fx on board and even a sequencer for an absolute steal price. This thing sound like a $$$ synth.

Yep this is definitely one of the more analog sounding synths on iOS. VAMono and VADrum2 are equally great, imo.