Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum machine app or hardware DM for jams and suchlike?

Just wondering what you tend to prefer, for real time jamming, tweaking, etc. - a drum machine app, and if so which one, or a drum machine, and again..

Comments

• D.....o.

• Drambo plus Loopy Pro, to grab audio loops on the fly.

• edited January 2023

for me Digitakt absolute winner in terms of pure drum machine .. if course it is lot more than just drum machine but you can use it obviously exclusively as drum machine

• edited January 2023

Hardware for me, it’s obviously way more tactile than rubbing a piece of glass on stage IMVHO. Elektron make a few good options across a range of prices.

• Do you mean jamming on drums, or jamming to a drum accompaniment?

For the former I have an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit, which while rather small, is still good to jam on.

For the latter I keep an open mind, but tend to use iPad apps rather than the one hardware drum machine that I have as it’s far quicker to set up.

• Groove Rider Gr-16 is very close to the look and feel of a hardware groovebox.

• Check out Strokes which just got sample import

• I’ve just invested in the Elektron Model Cycles. It feels good to create patterns on a piece of hardware, turning knobs and modeling the sounds. Very different from sequencing on the iPad screen. And the sequencer on the Elektron is as quick, smooth and creative as I had heard. I fear that I might be opening up a new addiction after some years in a strictly iPad/app/midi universe 😵‍💫😬

• maybe This soon on iOS?

• Ess has said in an Elektronauts thread that he’s not bringing his Fors devices to iOS.

• IBassist and one of the Lumbeat drum apps

• @galmandsværk said:
    I’ve just invested in the Elektron Model Cycles. It feels good to create patterns on a piece of hardware, turning knobs and modeling the sounds. Very different from sequencing on the iPad screen. And the sequencer on the Elektron is as quick, smooth and creative as I had heard. I fear that I might be opening up a new addiction after some years in a strictly iPad/app/midi universe 😵‍💫😬

Oh dear! It’s a slippery slope from now on 😄

• My choice would be Hardware for live jamming.

• Relative to hardware I’ve got a Roland MC-707 and it’s amazing. The workflow is really fast to get things together and the device is very deep. Perfectly able to complete full songs and it doubles as an audio/midi interface.

• The MC707 can also be a hardware mixer and external effects box, and the Roland/Boss effects are ace.

• Any of the Bram Bos drum apps are fun. Oh, and the Klevgrand ones too, like Borsta.

• Still not sure if it is jam ON drums or jam TO/WITH drums.
    I am now leaning towards jam ON, but originally read it as jam TO/WITH.

• MC-707 and TR-6S for TR style beat making and tweaking. The MC supports off-grid beats and will let you go pretty deep with beat tweaking with Step LFO, programmable Scatter, etc. TR-6S has synthesized drums (ACB and FM).

MPC One for finger drumming.

• I've not found an app that comes close to the feel of the Machinedrum, which was my drum machine of choice for a long time (until it died). The process of building a drum pattern is more creatively satisfying on the hardware.

I plan to eventually get a new hardware drum machine after failing to gel with the iOS process in this specific area.

• Splat-to-clat, Sitala, Borsta and Skaka are my go to drum machines right now

• @suboptimal
    process of building a drum pattern is more creatively satisfying on the hardware.

Very much THIS !

• edited January 2023

@galmandsværk said:
    I’ve just invested in the Elektron Model Cycles. It feels good to create patterns on a piece of hardware, turning knobs and modeling the sounds. Very different from sequencing on the iPad screen. And the sequencer on the Elektron is as quick, smooth and creative as I had heard. I fear that I might be opening up a new addiction after some years in a strictly iPad/app/midi universe 😵‍💫😬

@LeeB said:
    Oh dear! It’s a slippery slope from now on 😄

welcome in hell of addiction, there is no way back :-D

• If we’re showing pictures of our gear piled up on the floor, here’s mine: https://at.tumblr.com/moderntechniques-blog/am-i-synthing-correctly/j8p7tninm92p

• edited January 2023

@u0421793 said:
    If we’re showing pictures of our gear piled up on the floor, here’s mine: https://at.tumblr.com/moderntechniques-blog/am-i-synthing-correctly/j8p7tninm92p

nice pile, but lacking Elektrons ! :lol: