Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strokes (Sequencer, Sampler, Synthesizer & Groovebox) news

145791021

Comments

  • So I finally bought this one after eyeing it for some time now. There’s definitely a learning curve but I got the gist of the basics. Seems like it will be a really fun/useful app for me though. How’s everyone here liking it? Definitely Donna have to read the manual and watch the videos though.

  • @HotStrange said:
    So I finally bought this one after eyeing it for some time now. There’s definitely a learning curve but I got the gist of the basics. Seems like it will be a really fun/useful app for me though. How’s everyone here liking it? Definitely Donna have to read the manual and watch the videos though.

    I think for drums it is fantastic, wouldn't be my first choice for a melody sequencer but now that it can load samples - and you can live tweak their start and end points, apply different filters to each etc - it has potential for doing weird experimental stuff too

  • @Gavinski said:

    @HotStrange said:
    So I finally bought this one after eyeing it for some time now. There’s definitely a learning curve but I got the gist of the basics. Seems like it will be a really fun/useful app for me though. How’s everyone here liking it? Definitely Donna have to read the manual and watch the videos though.

    I think for drums it is fantastic, wouldn't be my first choice for a melody sequencer but now that it can load samples - and you can live tweak their start and end points, apply different filters to each etc - it has potential for doing weird experimental stuff too

    Weird experimental stuff is definitely where I’m trying to take it. I’m thinking sequencing something like Drum Kit would be fun too. But I love the idea of sampling something like Skiiid, using Sitala to auto slice it, then uploading it to Strokes to make some craziness happen.

    Still a lot to learn but happy I bought it overall. Have you done a video on it? I can’t remember seeing one.

  • @HotStrange said:

    @Gavinski said:

    @HotStrange said:
    So I finally bought this one after eyeing it for some time now. There’s definitely a learning curve but I got the gist of the basics. Seems like it will be a really fun/useful app for me though. How’s everyone here liking it? Definitely Donna have to read the manual and watch the videos though.

    I think for drums it is fantastic, wouldn't be my first choice for a melody sequencer but now that it can load samples - and you can live tweak their start and end points, apply different filters to each etc - it has potential for doing weird experimental stuff too

    Weird experimental stuff is definitely where I’m trying to take it. I’m thinking sequencing something like Drum Kit would be fun too. But I love the idea of sampling something like Skiiid, using Sitala to auto slice it, then uploading it to Strokes to make some craziness happen.

    Still a lot to learn but happy I bought it overall. Have you done a video on it? I can’t remember seeing one.

    I haven't, for a multitude of different reasons, but might at some point👍

  • @Gavinski said:

    @HotStrange said:

    @Gavinski said:

    @HotStrange said:
    So I finally bought this one after eyeing it for some time now. There’s definitely a learning curve but I got the gist of the basics. Seems like it will be a really fun/useful app for me though. How’s everyone here liking it? Definitely Donna have to read the manual and watch the videos though.

    I think for drums it is fantastic, wouldn't be my first choice for a melody sequencer but now that it can load samples - and you can live tweak their start and end points, apply different filters to each etc - it has potential for doing weird experimental stuff too

    Weird experimental stuff is definitely where I’m trying to take it. I’m thinking sequencing something like Drum Kit would be fun too. But I love the idea of sampling something like Skiiid, using Sitala to auto slice it, then uploading it to Strokes to make some craziness happen.

    Still a lot to learn but happy I bought it overall. Have you done a video on it? I can’t remember seeing one.

    I haven't, for a multitude of different reasons, but might at some point👍

    Awesome! If so, I look forward to it but if not I understand. Definitely seems daunting.

  • edited February 2023

    every time i see this thread pop up I think someone’s had a massive stroke and feel bad

  • edited March 2023

    I’m just joining the party now, and with the new sample functionality and cross platform aspect, this is looking very, very interesting. I’ve watched a few of the vids, and I think I understand what is going on.

    I give a hard pass these days to any app that I can’t immediately get at least somewhere useful with just by messing with it, no RTFM. Though this looks deep, it also looks like just messing with it could be kind of productive. (I have to remind myself that at one time, AUM seemed impossibly complex to me, and it is now where I live.)

    For this reason, I don’t think I’m ever going to be a Drambo-ite, but this looks like a kind-of one screen, no scrolling, ‘locked Drambo’ dedicated to sequencing and sample playback, which I could, with some effort, get my brain round.

    I’m thinking of maybe springing for the £40 (ouch!) cross platform deal, but before I do, I really need Uncle @Gavinski to lead me by the hand through it in one of his excellent tutorials, just to convince me I’m not about to make an expensive mistake… For that money it needs to become as much of a fixture in my noisemaking as AUM and AudioShare. Is such a review on the cards at all?

  • I might have to make the effort and make something ambient with this and somehow figure out how to capture it to YouTube…

  • @Svetlovska said:
    I’m just joining the party now, and with the new sample functionality and cross platform aspect, this is looking very, very interesting. I’ve watched a few of the vids, and I think I understand what is going on.

    I give a hard pass these days to any app that I can’t immediately get at least somewhere useful with just by messing with it, no RTFM. Though this looks deep, it also looks like just messing with it could be kind of productive. (I have to remind myself that at one time, AUM seemed impossibly complex to me, and it is now where I live.)

    For this reason, I don’t think I’m ever going to be a Drambo-ite, but this looks like a kind-of one screen, no scrolling, ‘locked Drambo’ dedicated to sequencing and sample playback, which I could, with some effort, get my brain round.

    I’m thinking of maybe springing for the £40 (ouch!) cross platform deal, but before I do, I really need Uncle @Gavinski to lead me by the hand through it in one of his excellent tutorials, just to convince me I’m not about to make an expensive mistake… For that money it needs to become as much of a fixture in my noisemaking as AUM and AudioShare. Is such a review on the cards at all?

    Maybe! I still don't know how to use it properly lol

  • edited March 2023

    @Krupa : oh, I hope you do! If you pull it off and can report back on the ease or otherwise of the experience, that would be very useful intel…

  • @Svetlovska said:
    @Krupa : oh, I hope you do! If you pull it off and can report back on the ease or otherwise of the experience, that would be very useful intel…

    It’s definitely really easy just to get it going, especially for techno type drums, I’ll try and have a go later if I get chance; I’m tidying up the workshop today as about to receive a Hammond organ (not sure if it works or not but spare parts… 😅😂)

  • Really interested in more feedback as well. Feel much the same as @Svetlovska!

  • @Krupa said:
    I might have to make the effort and make something ambient with this and somehow figure out how to capture it to YouTube…

    I'd be interested to hear that.

  • @Svetlovska said:
    I’m just joining the party now, and with the new sample functionality and cross platform aspect, this is looking very, very interesting. I’ve watched a few of the vids, and I think I understand what is going on.

    I give a hard pass these days to any app that I can’t immediately get at least somewhere useful with just by messing with it, no RTFM. Though this looks deep, it also looks like just messing with it could be kind of productive. (I have to remind myself that at one time, AUM seemed impossibly complex to me, and it is now where I live.)

    For this reason, I don’t think I’m ever going to be a Drambo-ite, but this looks like a kind-of one screen, no scrolling, ‘locked Drambo’ dedicated to sequencing and sample playback, which I could, with some effort, get my brain round.

    I’m thinking of maybe springing for the £40 (ouch!) cross platform deal, but before I do, I really need Uncle @Gavinski to lead me by the hand through it in one of his excellent tutorials, just to convince me I’m not about to make an expensive mistake… For that money it needs to become as much of a fixture in my noisemaking as AUM and AudioShare. Is such a review on the cards at all?

    I've been close to buying the cross platform package too. I've long been looking for a sequencer I could run on iPad and laptop, and when I saw this is also a sampler, I was close to sold, as I have a growing love of sample based production.

    It could be absolutely life-changing, in terms of creativity and workflow. Or… a complete flop?

    How are we to know?

    The chance to buy the cross-platform bundle has stopped me from buying the iPad version, so I don't pay for it twice, so all I have to go on are videos.

  • @Gavinski said:

    @Svetlovska said:
    I’m just joining the party now, and with the new sample functionality and cross platform aspect, this is looking very, very interesting. I’ve watched a few of the vids, and I think I understand what is going on.

    I give a hard pass these days to any app that I can’t immediately get at least somewhere useful with just by messing with it, no RTFM. Though this looks deep, it also looks like just messing with it could be kind of productive. (I have to remind myself that at one time, AUM seemed impossibly complex to me, and it is now where I live.)

    For this reason, I don’t think I’m ever going to be a Drambo-ite, but this looks like a kind-of one screen, no scrolling, ‘locked Drambo’ dedicated to sequencing and sample playback, which I could, with some effort, get my brain round.

    I’m thinking of maybe springing for the £40 (ouch!) cross platform deal, but before I do, I really need Uncle @Gavinski to lead me by the hand through it in one of his excellent tutorials, just to convince me I’m not about to make an expensive mistake… For that money it needs to become as much of a fixture in my noisemaking as AUM and AudioShare. Is such a review on the cards at all?

    Maybe! I still don't know how to use it properly lol

    Time to gen up on Strokes dear @Gavinski?

  • @gkillmaster said:
    Really interested in more feedback as well. Feel much the same as @Svetlovska!

    +1

  • @Svetlovska said:
    @Krupa : oh, I hope you do! If you pull it off and can report back on the ease or otherwise of the experience, that would be very useful intel…

    What I want to know most of all, is if it would suit me for my ambient process.

  • @andowrites said:

    @Svetlovska said:
    @Krupa : oh, I hope you do! If you pull it off and can report back on the ease or otherwise of the experience, that would be very useful intel…

    What I want to know most of all, is if it would suit me for my ambient process.

    +1

  • I’ve been trying to grok this without reading a manual and have got it making some interesting noises, but I haven’t the foggiest idea what 90% of it does. My typical process for something like this is to get it making some kind of predictable output, and then start fiddling with knobs to see what happens, but with this the vast majority of the knobs appear to have no effect at all. Might have to RTFM 😑

  • I've found a small(ish) bug but I have no idea how to recreate it. I've been using this in a project in NS2 and yesterday I opened the project but Strokes was outputting no sound at all. I saved the project inside Strokes, removed it, re-added it, loaded up the project again and everything was back to how it should be. I have a slight suspicion that this was something to do with the samples I'm using being stored in my iCloud drive as the only visible difference inside Strokes was that the filenames for each sample had become weirdly URL encoded.

  • How is Strokes looking and functioning now? I'm still trying to choose a sequencer, and Strokes is still one of my options for sure. mKer is another option I'm considering, and WoodStepper, the third. I'm very drawn to sampling as a creative process, so Strokes particularly catches my attention, as it's a sampler/sequencer. But mKer attracts me with its simplicity in terms of how it looks visually. It feels like the standout for me. Then there's WoodStepper, which is available for MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS. Strokes is MacOS and iPadOS, and mKer is iPadOS only.

    Now that Strokes has had a little time out in the field, what's the feedback coming back like from those of you who have been using it? I was a bit put off by some of the early feedback, when it sounded like it still should have been in beta, rather than on sale. But now the dust appears to have settled around Strokes, I'm considering my options. I'd welcome some fresh feedback on Strokes in particular, and alternatives too.

  • edited March 2023

    @andowrites said:
    How is Strokes looking and functioning now? I'm still trying to choose a sequencer, and Strokes is still one of my options for sure. mKer is another option I'm considering, and WoodStepper, the third. I'm very drawn to sampling as a creative process, so Strokes particularly catches my attention, as it's a sampler/sequencer. But mKer attracts me with its simplicity in terms of how it looks visually. It feels like the standout for me. Then there's WoodStepper, which is available for MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS. Strokes is MacOS and iPadOS, and mKer is iPadOS only.

    Now that Strokes has had a little time out in the field, what's the feedback coming back like from those of you who have been using it? I was a bit put off by some of the early feedback, when it sounded like it still should have been in beta, rather than on sale. But now the dust appears to have settled around Strokes, I'm considering my options. I'd welcome some fresh feedback on Strokes in particular, and alternatives too.

    It's definitely getting there in terms of stability and feature set. The latest beta is due to be the release build and features a synth demo project which gives some guidance to creating more musical sequences. That being said it's got a very steep learning curve. The terminology used to identify the various controls that influence the sequencer are going to be unfamiliar and initially confusing to most users and I often find that just when I think I've got to grips with a certain aspect I lose the thread and end up down another rabbit hole. At the moment most of my successful creations in Strokes have been happy accidents but I'm determined to press on.

  • Is it coming !

  • @enkaytee said:

    @andowrites said:
    How is Strokes looking and functioning now? I'm still trying to choose a sequencer, and Strokes is still one of my options for sure. mKer is another option I'm considering, and WoodStepper, the third. I'm very drawn to sampling as a creative process, so Strokes particularly catches my attention, as it's a sampler/sequencer. But mKer attracts me with its simplicity in terms of how it looks visually. It feels like the standout for me. Then there's WoodStepper, which is available for MacOS, iPadOS, and iOS. Strokes is MacOS and iPadOS, and mKer is iPadOS only.

    Now that Strokes has had a little time out in the field, what's the feedback coming back like from those of you who have been using it? I was a bit put off by some of the early feedback, when it sounded like it still should have been in beta, rather than on sale. But now the dust appears to have settled around Strokes, I'm considering my options. I'd welcome some fresh feedback on Strokes in particular, and alternatives too.

    It's definitely getting there in terms of stability and feature set. The latest beta is due to be the release build and features a synth demo project which gives some guidance to creating more musical sequences. That being said it's got a very steep learning curve. The terminology used to identify the various controls that influence the sequencer are going to be unfamiliar and initially confusing to most users and I often find that just when I think I've got to grips with a certain aspect I lose the thread and end up down another rabbit hole. At the moment most of my successful creations in Strokes have been happy accidents but I'm determined to press on.

    Thanks for this feedback. It sounds like the learning curve may be my biggest issue. Perhaps I will continue with mKer and WoodStepper for now. I couldn't resist mKer, and WoodStepper being available cross-platform is a win for me too. I only wish I could get mKer for my iPhone and Mac. That would be superb.

    But for now, it looks like I will remain a bystander, watching the development of Strokes from the sidelines. One day, I might just jump into the fray.

  • This is my favourite strokes update

  • edited March 2023

    John's rewritten the user manual for Strokes - a fair bit refers to the newer features in the latest beta, but there's a lot more detail on the basic concept and operation - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hYhg2FyLuPlQwpFsyqMFvJzkpAdytL4q/view

    There's also a video showing the new 'Plaits' based internal synth engines -

  • @enkaytee said:
    John's rewritten the user manual for Strokes - a fair bit refers to the newer features in the latest beta, but there's a lot more detail on the basic concept and operation - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hYhg2FyLuPlQwpFsyqMFvJzkpAdytL4q/view

    There's also a video showing the new 'Plaits' based internal synth engines -

    Ah great, I have to say I was not a fan of the original manual at all. Cheers for the heads up Nige.

  • @Gavinski said:

    @enkaytee said:
    John's rewritten the user manual for Strokes - a fair bit refers to the newer features in the latest beta, but there's a lot more detail on the basic concept and operation - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hYhg2FyLuPlQwpFsyqMFvJzkpAdytL4q/view

    There's also a video showing the new 'Plaits' based internal synth engines -

    Ah great, I have to say I was not a fan of the original manual at all. Cheers for the heads up Nige.

    The video just premiered - there's a bit more info on the newer features too...

  • edited March 2023

    Just bought strokes but i don't find a way to look for voices. The bottom says sequencer, sampler, Split 1-4 and split 5-8. How do I get to the voices tab. In fact the one I bought looks different form the one in the video of the last update

  • @Prog1967 said:
    Just bought strokes but i don't find a way to look for voices. The bottom says sequencer, sampler, Split 1-4 and split 5-8. How do I get to the voices tab. In fact the one I bought looks different form the one in the video of the last update

    hello

    VST3/AU is out now, iOS should land over the weekend as soon as Apple approve

Sign In or Register to comment.