Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to minimize latency in AUM?

I’m having trouble recording acoustic instruments through the iPad mic into AUM due to the time lag between playing my guitar and hearing it through the headphones. The latency makes it almost impossible to play my guitar in time to the AUM channels.

What steps can you take to reduce latency?

Comments

• What buffer size did you set?

• @NoncompliantBryant said:
    What buffer size did you set?

Dunno. I tried a couple; still had lag. Is there a best one for this concern?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@NoncompliantBryant said:

With the iPad mic you probably don’t want to software monitor.

64 Samples if you insist.

• edited January 2023

@BroCoast said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@NoncompliantBryant said:

With the iPad mic you probably don’t want to software monitor.

64 Samples if you insist.

Yeah... As low as possible without crackling. You probably can't have too much going on unless your device is newer in order to do this low latency.

I’m having trouble recording acoustic instruments through the iPad mic into AUM due to the time lag between playing my guitar and hearing it through the headphones. The latency makes it almost impossible to play my guitar in time to the AUM channels.

How are you monitoring? Even with a buffer if 256, the latency should be no worse than being 10 feet from an amp

• What plugins are you running? AUM has latency compensation, so a delay will be added to much that of the instrument or effect with the greatest latency. Tap on the DSP display to see the latency stats.

• @espiegel123 said:

How are you monitoring? Even with a buffer if 256, the latency should be no worse than being 10 feet from an amp

At 256 samples with the ipad mic it is 17ms of latency (buffer plus 5ms). 10ms is the threshold that we can compensate for.

• @espiegel123 said:

Tascam headphones plugged into the iPad headphone jack. Is a bigger buffer better for reducing latency?

@espiegel123 said:

Tascam headphones plugged into the iPad headphone jack. Is a bigger buffer better for reducing latency?

The smaller the less latency.

• This also depends on your tolerance. On guitar or electric violin I need lower latency than with keys, but I'm not a keys player.

• @NoncompliantBryant said:

@espiegel123 said:

The smaller the less latency.

Thanks very much!

• @espiegel123 said:
    What plugins are you running? AUM has latency compensation, so a delay will be added to much that of the instrument or effect with the greatest latency. Tap on the DSP display to see the latency stats.

Last night I think I swiped them all left to be inactive, but I had DrumJam going.

@espiegel123 said:
    What plugins are you running? AUM has latency compensation, so a delay will be added to much that of the instrument or effect with the greatest latency. Tap on the DSP display to see the latency stats.

Last night I think I swiped them all left to be inactive, but I had DrumJam going.

check the stats. swiping them to be out of the way does not, i believe, change the latency compensation-- otherwise weird stuff would happen when swiping them back in