Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

First test of Bluetooth audio + Bluetooth MIDI on a Roland digital piano

I finally, after a few decades of wanting a piano, bought a digital one yesterday. I got it so that when I want to play the piano I can just play. By that, I mean not having to setup connections and software, and not having to deal with a video screen.

Of course as I am still a tech nerd, as it has Bluetooth audio (for playing external audio thru the piano speakers) and MIDI, I had to try these with an iPad.

For my first test, I used both to layer a synthpad from Bleass Megalit over the piano sound. Latency was way too much. It was caused by the Bluetooth audio.

I disconnected the audio, only keeping Bluetooth MIDI. And connected the headphone out of the iPad to the piano line in. Then everything was fine, I had some gorgeous sounds!

Here's a photo of the setup:

Comments

• Congratulation!
    This is very useful setup, nice key-touch, and Roland sound.
    i wish you years of no problem usage.

• @szczyp said:
    Congratulation!

Thank you!
    I love the piano so far, too bad it does not USB Audio though like some others have, even in the Roland lineup!
    It does have USB MIDI though.

• edited January 2023

@zvon said:

@szczyp said:
    Congratulation!

Thank you!
    I love the piano so far, too bad it does not USB Audio though like some others have, even in the Roland lineup!
    It does have USB MIDI though.

….even with that, still u can use other Sfz with AudioLayer/or Ravencroft piano etc… or line input to audio interface If you really like your great Roland piano. All of this approach is top quality sound nowadays imo.
    I hopes (but its not crucial) for Roland V-Piano on iPad, modeling piano app, but even without it we have zillion other options to have fun.

On my side is casio ap-21 , and i like this sound, kry touch. For Real experiments I use it as midi keyboard only via midi interface (no usb in piano, no BT).

• edited January 2023

@zvon said:
    I finally, after a few decades of wanting a piano, bought a digital one yesterday. I got it so that when I want to play the piano I can just play. By that, I mean not having to setup connections and software, and not having to deal with a video screen.

Of course as I am still a tech nerd, as it has Bluetooth audio (for playing external audio thru the piano speakers) and MIDI, I had to try these with an iPad.

For my first test, I used both to layer a synthpad from Bleass Megalit over the piano sound. Latency was way too much. It was caused by the Bluetooth audio.

I disconnected the audio, only keeping Bluetooth MIDI. And connected the headphone out of the iPad to the piano line in. Then everything was fine, I had some gorgeous sounds!

>

Congrats for your new piano!

I have something similar setup, however since m1 pro doesn’t have headphone out (and even if it had, the headphone out signal to the line in is not an ideal connnection) I connect the piano and the ipad with an audio/midi interface:

• @szczyp and @GLacey, thanks for your input!

My main music/sound design setup is desktop based and in another room. There I have a few different MIDI controllers that I switch around depending on what I need.

I do have an extra audio interface that I can use with my new piano-based setup when needed, and indeed sound quality may be better. But I do like the simplicity of the headphone jack and sound was quite good when layered with the piano.

• I bought TC-Data around Xmas and it worked with Bluetooth MIDI but the large amount of data it sends overwhelmed my piano. Interestingly though, it worked perfectly when the piano and iPad are connected via USB. Gazillions of notes with pitch-bend!

• @zvon said:
    I bought TC-Data around Xmas and it worked with Bluetooth MIDI but the large amount of data it sends overwhelmed my piano. Interestingly though, it worked perfectly when the piano and iPad are connected via USB. Gazillions of notes with pitch-bend!

A large amount of MIDI data over Bluetooth has often been problematic in my setups too.