Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iConnectAudio blocking MIDI CC messages?

If I hook up my Launchpad Pro mk3 to my iPad direct via USB, I can map its non-grid buttons (play, record, etc) to Drambo.

If I connect it via the iConnectAudio4+ using the MIDI host USB port on the iCA4+, only notes are allowed through.

I have no midi filters active on the iConnect. Any ideas?

(It’s not just Drambo either. It also happens with midi monitor apps, and on the Mac)

Comments

• Do you need to route the MIDI using the iConnectAudio4+ configuration app?

• No, it’s already routed. The notes work fine. It’s just the CC messages that don’t show up.

• edited January 2023

@mistercharlie said:
    No, it’s already routed. The notes work fine. It’s just the CC messages that don’t show up.

do you have control change (cc) events enabled in the midi port filters field?

• @mistercharlie said:
    No, it’s already routed. The notes work fine. It’s just the CC messages that don’t show up.

I believe the Launchpad Pro mk3 has different operating modes. Is it possible that it's now in a different mode that changes the MIDI messages?

• @mistercharlie said:
    If I hook up my Launchpad Pro mk3 to my iPad direct via USB, I can map its non-grid buttons (play, record, etc) to Drambo.

If I connect it via the iConnectAudio4+ using the MIDI host USB port on the iCA4+, only notes are allowed through.

I have no midi filters active on the iConnect. Any ideas?

(It’s not just Drambo either. It also happens with midi monitor apps, and on the Mac)

Via USB, a Launchpad has two virtual ports one called DAW Out and one MIDI Out. In session mode, a lot of the messages may be on the DAW out port. It might be that when plugged into your iconnectivity only one of the virtual ports is being accessed (the one called midi out)

• What @espiegel123 said is correct. The port is renamed by the 4c. The DAW port gets renamed to whatever it is called by the 4c. It’s something like HTSx, with X being the virtual port number (at least with the couple people I saw).

• I have set Midiflow to monitor all the ports that show up from the Launchpad via the iConnect. The only one that sends anything at all is the one that sends notes.

I have also tried changing the modes of the LP while connected, note/session/etc.

Thanks for the answers so far!

• great link!

maybe you can write to Novation and ask them to take note if they ever make a driver update.

• @Danny_Mammy said:
    great link!

maybe you can write to Novation and ask them to take note if they ever make a driver update.

If seems like iConnectivity’d issue , not Novations.

@mistercharlie : what cc messages aren’t being sent? Do you have a custom mode layout selected that you have programmed to send CCs?

It would would help if you said more about which Launchpad mode you are in and what pads you are trying to send.

• @espiegel123 when I am using the LP directly connected to the iPad with usb, I use the two rows of clicky buttons along the bottoms to select tracks in Drambo, and to mute tracks. I also use the play and record buttons.

This is in the LP’s Note and Chord modes. I use whatever CCs are the defaults for those buttons. As far as I can tell, those buttons cannot be remapped by the users.

I have decided to connect the LP direct for now, but I will write to iConnectivity’s support.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @espiegel123 when I am using the LP directly connected to the iPad with usb, I use the two rows of clicky buttons along the bottoms to select tracks in Drambo, and to mute tracks. I also use the play and record buttons.

This is in the LP’s Note and Chord modes. I use whatever CCs are the defaults for those buttons. As far as I can tell, those buttons cannot be remapped by the users.

I have decided to connect the LP direct for now, but I will write to iConnectivity’s support.

Next time you are connected to a midi monitor, take a look at what port the events are coming from and exactly what is being sent. It may be that they are sent from the DAW port and not the port that is called the MIDI port.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Danny_Mammy said:
    great link!

nope, if the USB device is class compliant there is not issue with iConnectivity.

• @Danny_Mammy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Danny_Mammy said:
    great link!

nope, if the USB device is class compliant there is not issue with iConnectivity.

The issue is the iconnect. It works fine without it.

• OK, super-weird computer gremlin time. Yesterday I did a factory reset on the iConnect to see if I had any odd settings in there. It still didn't work. CC over direct USB-C was fine, but nothing via the iConnect, so I restored my saved settings.

Today I hooked everything up to run the test suggested by @espiegel123, and the DAW port shows up (you were right, the CC messages come via the DAW port. The LP was even recognized by a Loopy Pro instance in Drambo, which is neat.

Not sure what’s happening here, but I will report back.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@Danny_Mammy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Danny_Mammy said:
    great link!

issue is not with iConnectivity

• @Danny_Mammy said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@Danny_Mammy said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Danny_Mammy said:
    great link!

issue is not with iConnectivity

Maybe you can help me understand why you mention a driver update would fix the issue for a class compliant device?

• The Launchpad is class-compliant. It runs fine on iOS devices…they can only connect to class-compliant devices.